Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#351146 - 26/03/2012 22:02 No HDD Found - ide_data_Test interpretation
supertzar
new poster

This particular empeg has developed a sporadic "no hdd found" behavior, and I'm having trouble figuring out what it may be. It fails about 80-90% of the time, but I've been thrown off several times already during troubleshooting when it mysteriously started working for several power cycles, only to fail when I closed the lid up and assumed it was fixed.

Here's the troubleshooting I have tried so far:

- noted IDE cable did not appear to be crimped properly. Crimped it down with some clamps.
- tried IDE cable from another known working empeg.
- tried entire HDD Tray from another known working empeg. This seemed to work but after I moved the unit, it stopped working.
- ran diags on the drives from the bad unit and they both passed advanced tests.
- I looked at the IDE header, and it *looks* OK from what I can tell. Nothing like the pictures in the FAQ of bad headers.

I'm attaching the boot log from the latest failure to boot up. Any insight would be appreciated!

Attachments
empeg error.txt (205 downloads)

#351157 - 27/03/2012 12:51 Re: No HDD Found - ide_data_Test interpretation [Re: supertzar]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Dunno. But perhaps 99% of IDE failures in the empeg are actually due to the solder joints failing at the pin header that the IDE cable plugs into on the mainboard. Very fragile, and not well soldered at the factory.

#351163 - 27/03/2012 16:42 Re: No HDD Found - ide_data_Test interpretation [Re: mlord]
supertzar
new poster

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I will get to experiment on reflowing the solder joins smile