Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#351705 - 20/04/2012 02:35 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Kind of like replacing the leather in a BMW with the cloth from a Kia anyway.

#351712 - 20/04/2012 13:30 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: hybrid8]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

and I'm out
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#351717 - 20/04/2012 15:34 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: frog51]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: frog51
[img snipped]

ROFL

#351720 - 20/04/2012 16:16 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: canuckInOR]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

It's funny only because it's ironic - Rory seems to have come in here trolling. Dropping the conversation when asked simply for the names of the products he's described. Like the troll, these devices seem to be only mythical.

Right now, my recommendation is save a bunch of cash and get a Nook or Kindle. With a slight nod to the Nook if they're going to do a lot of eBook reading and a nod to the Kindle if they want access to Amazon's store.

#351723 - 20/04/2012 16:40 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: hybrid8]
Redrum
old hand

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
It's funny only because it's ironic

Nope, that’s not why it's funny. And my opinion of why it is funny is fact!

Now that statement is ironic.

#351724 - 20/04/2012 17:11 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: hybrid8]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

It's funny only because it's ironic - Rory seems to have come in here trolling.

Nooo.... I think Rory came in here with the desire to contribute, but was put off by your antagonistic, closed-minded, I-know-better-than-you replies. Honestly, you don't come across as someone genuinely interested in an open exchange of opinions, but as someone who's just trying to elicit an answer that you can trample into the dust with your own brand of derision.

I mean... just look at the title of the thread! "Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck?" Combative from the get-go. How about just "Recommendations for non-iPad tablet?" I mean... even Heather, who so rarely posts these days, took the time to suggest you tone down your responses.

#351725 - 20/04/2012 17:44 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: canuckInOR]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Honestly, you don't come across as someone genuinely interested in an open exchange of opinions, but as someone who's just trying to elicit an answer that you can trample into the dust with your own brand of derision.

I should say, this isn't always the case, but it does seem true more often than not when the topic centers on Apple-related products and their competitors. I almost skipped this thread, because of that, but I was curious to know what people were suggesting because I'm dissatisfied with iOS on my iPod touch. The walled-garden ethos bugs me.

#351726 - 20/04/2012 23:16 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: canuckInOR]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I dislike Google (that wasn't always the case, not by a long-shot). I dislike Android and I dislike every Android tablet I've seen or touched. Done. I'm not here to debate that, but I'm interested to know if there's an Android tablet product out there, that despite me not liking it, has any chance whatsoever of being usable above the ones I've already been through with my friend. For him. Not for me. So I don't need to be convinced of Android's merits.

Yeah, the Android "open" ideals yadda, yadda, yadda, and more Google smoke being blown up our collective arises aside, what are these products Rory was referring to? Why didn't he mention them by name right away?

I don't need to know why someone prefers Android over iOS. The point is that someone I know is already looking for an Android tablet and he doesn't want to throw his money away. If he did I would have already given him a list of 20 tablets on which to burn the coin. Or actually just light it on fire.

Look, I just don't have patience anymore for crap products, hardware and software regardless who makes them. And believe me, Apple has a to to answer for it too. Their software is getting worse every day and for the life of me, I have a hard time picking one single thing in their newest desktop OS that's worth the update. So far it's a steaming ball of shit and it's aggravating me more each passing day.

#351727 - 21/04/2012 02:39 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: hybrid8]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

I have a hard time picking one single thing in their newest desktop OS that's worth the update. So far it's a steaming ball of shit and it's aggravating me more each passing day.

Well, there's something we can agree on, at least. smile

I spent several hours debugging some very complex software, a few weeks ago (I was porting some cross-platform code to OS X), trying to figure out why I kept getting blocks of zeros in a file I was trying to read on Lion. We have a multi-threaded asynchronous file system abstraction layer, plus a couple layers of buffering, plus our own memory management model, all of which, at different times, have caused similar symptoms due to various corner cases. Turns out it's their CIFS mount client. WTF? Working fine on 10.6, jettisoned, and completely broken for Lion. I'd have been fired for putting something that broken into production software. Steaming turd, indeed.

#351728 - 21/04/2012 14:46 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: hybrid8]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
...our collective arises aside

Arses not arises wink

#351753 - 23/04/2012 16:10 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: Phoenix42]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

See, that's another PITA for Lion. Auto-correct. Which I like and dislike at the same time.

My biggest peeve in Lion is the move to auto-save. While the theory is decent, the implementation is horrid and horribly broken. It's far easier now to corrupt your work than it has ever been. I've lost new content in Automator just by answering one of the oddball dialogs that gets displayed by the OS when you're opening/closing auto-saved files.

But back to Android for a moment... And it's not the OS per se, but the same old companies releasing the same old products.

HTC completely screwed the pooch with their latest, releasing a product called "ONE" in no less than 3 versions. WTF? If the product is called "ONE" doesn't it stand to reason that there should only be one actual device? It doesn't matter who makes their software, this company will never get anything right and won't get anywhere while they're riding the coat-tails of someone else. Unfortunately they were novel and original far too long before the market were ready for them. And couldn't change the market because they were hitching their horse to someone else's software.

Back to ASUS, courtesy of John Gruber quoting Engadget's review of that dongle:
Quote:

We did encounter a snag using it however, our tablet would randomly reboot every few minutes while the dongle was attached, though a sticker on the kit’s front implores users to update their slate before use. Our tablet is up to date, of course, but we wouldn’t be surprised to see a compatibility fix in the coming weeks. Despite matching our Prime’s color profile, the dongle is a little on the ugly side, facing its screws towards the user, rather than hiding them on the tablet’s back. Hiccups and eyesores aside, the attachment works, plain and simple. It isn’t as elegant of a solution as we might as hoped, but at least it’s free.

How can a company like ASUS be taken seriously? A few years ago I stopped buying anything ASUS - so glad I did. Bold highlights applied by me. This dongle is a band-aid to address an issue in a shipping product. And ASUS release it incomplete with problems of its own? WTF.

Just recall the tablets or give everyone a substantial refund, not a crappy dongle.

Edited by hybrid8 (23/04/2012 19:03)

#351755 - 23/04/2012 16:34 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Samsung completely screwed the pooch again releasing a product called "ONE" in no less than 3 versions. WTF? If the product is called "ONE" doesn't it stand to reason that there should only be one actual device? It doesn't matter who makes their software, this company will never get anything right and won't get anywhere unless they're riding the coat-tails of someone else.

If you're going to troll, get your facts right.

Unless that was part of your strategy... Damn, fell for that one, too.

#351760 - 23/04/2012 19:00 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Sorry, I miswrote. It was something else about Samsung today (their latest teaser with a comment about HTC) and I crossed my wires. Fixing the previous post. It's not easy keeping these disposable handsets straight though. wink

Incidentally, getting back to crap products... I had a chance to play for a few minutes with someone's BlackBerry Playbook two days ago. The screen is too small for a tablet, and the buttons and ports seem like they were placed without any thought, however the device does feel nice and solid in hand. That's a huge deal, IMO. Too bad the OS and touch response were abysmally slow. I was glad to hand it back as quickly as I did.

#351764 - 24/04/2012 06:58 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: hybrid8]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Bruno

If everything is just crap why don't you go out and invent some products that "don't suck"? You'll be an instant millionaire no doubt since whatever you come up will obviously be so much better than anything else.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#351784 - 25/04/2012 11:59 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: Shonky]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

It's going slowly because I'm in the process of filming a new Star Wars prequel trilogy and recording a half dozen music albums.

#351819 - 26/04/2012 16:05 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Here's a Samsung tidbit. They're resorting to hiring people to protest in front of Apple stores now: http://9to5mac.com/2012/04/26/samsung-employs-protesters-to-wake-up-apple-users/

I know how this marketing strategy plays out. Putting a bit more focus on product design, so you're not just selling another run-of-the-mill generic piece of plastic might be a better idea.

#351820 - 26/04/2012 16:37 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: hybrid8]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
They're resorting to hiring people to protest in front of Apple stores now.

Actually, that does sound a bit douchey. This is in Australia though. Maybe that sort of thing plays differently down under.

#351821 - 26/04/2012 17:26 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Points for the first use of the word "douchey" on the BBS.

#353120 - 09/07/2012 13:07 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

#353480 - 24/07/2012 05:46 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: tonyc]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Ok, so the complete lacklustre release that is going to be iOS6 and the pace at which google are progressing is leading me to think that my next phone is going to be Android.

I have no interest in a phone other than one that runs pure Android, I don't want to be running half baked hacked together distributions and I likewise I also don't want to be waiting months and months (or never) to get the latest version.

So, I want a google device. Currently it's the Nexus, how do people like it? Anybody gone from a 4S to one? I'm liking some of the features that Mark has posted about in the other threads recently about Jellybean.

The nexus also seems to be "getting on" a bit in terms of hardware, I wonder if there's any new google phone hardware on the horizon?

And to cap it all, there appears to be an ongoing rumour that the nexus will be available direct on the google play store in the UK "soon" at around £270, so I might just wait a bit to see if new hardware and/or a lower price appears.

#353486 - 24/07/2012 10:45 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: sn00p]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I haven't heard any rumors of new hardware, unfortunately. The Galaxy Nexus is over 8 months old, so I would have thought we'd at least hear rumblings of the next Nexus device.

The rumor a little while ago was that Google was going to shift their model for the Nexus line a little. Instead of working closely with a single manufacturer to make the flagship pure Android phone, they would instead offer any manufacturer a spot on the Google Play Store, with the caveat that it had to be sold without any skinning and be the pure Android experience. I don't know if this approach will work, but it's interesting to see Google attempting to use the carrot of being on the Play Store, which I wouldn't think would be very enticing to most manufacturers. But if the Nexus 7 sells well enough, then maybe it's something they'll want to do.

I think we'll see pretty soon if a new Nexus device is rumored. I'm curious to see if Google does what they did with the 7, and buys a phone from one of these companies so they can list it for cost on the Play Store...

#353487 - 24/07/2012 11:01 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
It seems Google still don't seem to get dealing with consumers, they appear to have run out of 16GB Nexus 7s:

"Sign up to be notified by email when Nexus 7 (16GB) becomes available"

Really ? Why on earth does it not state when they'll be available and why on earth can't you place an order now to get them when they are available ?

Can it really be that Google/ASUS really don't know when they'll have more to ship ?

#353488 - 24/07/2012 11:27 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: andy]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

As lackluster as iOS development has been, Apple still has a better, more polished and more usable software product today than Google is likely ever to have. That's the sad sad truth - for those who don't own Apple stock anyway. wink It's especially sad because Apple's software leaves so much room for improvement.

It also looks like another stellar quarter for Cupertino, let the good times roll.

#353490 - 24/07/2012 11:54 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: sn00p]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: sn00p
I want a google device. Currently it's the Nexus, how do people like it?

Thus far, Google has brought out a new Nexus every year. I dunno if the tablet counts as "the Nexus" for 2012, though, so expect perhaps a new phone to arrive late in Q4, same as last year.

The current Galaxy Nexus (aka. "Prime", or model i9250) has been out since last November. It is an excellent handset, with lots of storage, but no SD slot. I initially thought the battery life was crap, but in the past couple of days I've not been pawing it continuously smile and surprise.. the battery is lasting longer.

I'll reserve further judgement on that until I've used it a bit more off-site this week. Everyone who sees/plays with my phone in person wants one.

Cheers

#353491 - 24/07/2012 11:55 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: sn00p]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I'm very pleased with Android 4.1 running on my Nexus S 4G (in the form of an early build of CyanogenMod 10.) The main gripe I hear from iPhone users who try Android is the input lag, and they've really tightened things up with the latest release. With the superior hardware of the Galaxy Nexus I'm sure things are even better.

In terms of a new Nexus release, I don't know what's been officially announced or rumored, but I have to think one is imminent. The Nexus One was released in early 2010, the Nexus S in late 2010, and the Galaxy Nexus late last year. If Google were not to have a product out by the end of the year would be a significant missed opportunity to capitalize on the momentum of these releases and the big leaps forward with the operating system in the last year.

#353493 - 24/07/2012 12:25 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: tonyc]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
My main irritations with iOS6 are:

DND - It's taken 6 versions to get to a "do not disturb" feature, nothing is more irritating than the spam waking you up in the middle of the night. I'd like even more granularity and options than what iOS6 offers, so maybe in another 6 revisions of iOS it might get there.

Maps - Shit, double shit and completely fucking shit.

Work email - i'd like this on my phone, but again more granularity (i.e show me/notify me of work emails during the working week) I'm pretty sure that Android can be made to do what I want.

Tethering - I dislike the fact that despite their "brand", they still bow to the networks and disable tethering.

Widgets - come on, this is *basic* stuff.

Accessories - Made for iPod. Pfft. If you search hard enough the actual apple documentation on the authentication chip & the protocol is on the web. Auth chips are easy enough to come by if you take something apart that has one in....

iOS6 is nothing more than iOS5.01, very little appears to have changed and new features are just well, pathetic.

I've been a massive fan of the iPhone & iOS from the 3G to 4S, but I just feel disappointed with what I've seen so far - and new hardware (iPhone 5) isn't going to fix this because the problem is the OS now.

Edit:

Oh and thanks guys, much appreciated insights and thoughts on the matter. Will be interested in your thoughts Mark after being out and about with it, I use my phone a lot while on my commute to the office (London<->Ely).

Edited by sn00p (24/07/2012 12:28)

#353494 - 24/07/2012 12:31 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: mlord]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Originally Posted By: mlord

I'll reserve further judgement on that until I've used it a bit more off-site this week. Everyone who sees/plays with my phone in person wants one.

I want one too, but there's one thing holding me back and that's bad reports on the volume of this phone. As it seems, a lot of users believe his phone's speaker is too soft, resulting in users not hearing the phone when it rings and finding the volume too soft when phoning in areas with lots of background noise. Most also say this renders the handsfree functon of the phone useless. For me, this is a very important issue and if it wasn't for this, I probably would have bought one by now. Unfortunately, this is one of those things that cannot be easily determined in a shop and I don't have a friend who owns one of these so I could try it out myself.

So how are you finding the overall volume level of the phone Mark?

#353496 - 24/07/2012 12:37 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: tonyc]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Originally Posted By: tonyc
I'm very pleased with Android 4.1 running on my Nexus S 4G (in the form of an early build of CyanogenMod 10.) The main gripe I hear from iPhone users who try Android is the input lag, and they've really tightened things up with the latest release. With the superior hardware of the Galaxy Nexus I'm sure things are even better.

From what I can tell the CPU/GPU of the Nexus 7 surpasses those of the Galaxy Nexus ?

In my experience with the Nexus 7, Project Butter didn't achieve all of its goals at eliminating input lag and the like.

Certainly those random pauses you saw scrolling around on previous Android devices are all but gone*. But things are still not as smooth as iOS.

It is apparent (though subtly so) in many areas, but one noticeable case stands out. Slow speed tracking is still very poor compared to iOS.

What I mean is when you drag something slowly around the screen you expect it to move smoothly with your finger. Which is exactly what you see on iOS, a buttery smooth movement.

On the Nexus 7 however you don't get a buttery smooth movement. Instead the display jerks a couple of pixels at a time i.e. drag finger slowly, display moves a bit, keep dragging, display stops moving, keep dragging, display jerks a couple of pixels and catches up with your finger. This will continue like this all the way across the screen, it seems incapable of moving the display by less than a couple of pixels at a time.

The end result is jerky and not at all buttery. From what I can tell it doesn't matter what app you are in, the same roughness of movement is there system wide.

Of course it maybe that the problem is down to the digitiser in the Nexus 7, I have no idea as I have no other Android 4.1 devices to compare it to.

* the one place it still rears its ugly head is in the Play Store. But then the UIWebViews used in iOS's App Store can be equally laggy, so that one is a draw

#353497 - 24/07/2012 13:12 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: andy]
mlord
carpal tunnel

The tablet uses a quad core CPU. The phone has a dual-core CPU. Dunno how the clock speeds compare.

I have never had an iPhone/iProduct of my own to play extensively with (and don't want one, thanks).

But the GN phone I have feels pretty darned buttery smooth to me. There's a decent chance an iFruit might be "smoother", but that's could just be technobation. At some point, things are good enough, and the GN+JB certainly is.

Dunno about the tablet, but it's probably the same, just magnified (size).

#353498 - 24/07/2012 13:14 Re: Is there ANY Android product that doesn't suck? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Here's a question for the Nexus users out there:

The headphone jack: the included earbuds have an inline switch (and mic?) with a 4-conductor mini-plug.
Is it safe to use an ordinary 3-conductor mini-plug for stereo output to my empeg (aux-in) ?

Sure it works (tried it already), but need I be concerned about whatever abuse that 4th conductor is experiencing ?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >