Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#35409 - 01/08/2001 04:40 Harddrive Warranty ?
Janosch
journeyman

Loc: Berlin, Germany
Hi all,

some time ago my empeg started, "stuttering" sometimes. Sounds like the Data could not be read fast enough. This happend only in rare cases, about one time every second day. Pulling the Unit out und in again fixed the Problem in most cases. I didn't bothered. Last Week the bootup started to take more time then usual and the "stuttering" becomes worse. My guess was a bad Harddrive. I turned on the Harddrive Icon and yes. Stuttering only happens during Disk access. Because i already upgraded the Unit with a second harddisk two month ago (and definatly lost my warranty) i changed the primary IBM 6 GB Harddisk (witch is the one that was build in from beginning) against a Toshiba 6.4 GB Harddrive. Everything is fine now. (moving the fids from /drive0 to /drive1 worked without any flaws). Bootup is as fast as is was never before and many other things are working much better right now. For example skipping to the next songs again and again uses to cause 5-10 second delays after some skips. All those "nags" are completely gone for now and i started to love my unit as twice as much :)

So, of course my warranty is lost and if the guys at empeg just say "Sorry" this really ok. I just want to ask what to do with the "sometimes bad" harddrive. I did many runs of the "IBM Drive Fitness Test". Some reported Problems, some not. Is there any chance to get a new one directly from IBM or empeg ? My Player is about seven months old. I studied two years eletronics in Germany and at work i'm building computers for five years now. I'm very shure that nothing got broken during my upgrade with the second Harddrive. I just want to know what is making sense, put the disk directly to trash (formely known as /dev/null *ggg*) or send it to IBM or Empeg ?

Best regards Janosch

#35410 - 01/08/2001 05:06 Re: Harddrive Warranty ? [Re: Janosch]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
You could email [email protected] (David in tech support) and explain the situation - he may be cool with replacing the drive, worth a try.

Rob

#35411 - 01/08/2001 05:20 Re: Harddrive Warranty ? [Re: rob]
Janosch
journeyman

Hi rob....

thnx for this real fast answer. I just eMailed David waiting for response now :-)

bye bye janosch

Happy 24 GB Mark II Owner

#35412 - 01/08/2001 05:33 Re: Harddrive Warranty ? [Re: Janosch]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
You won't get one until later - he starts at 6pm GMT.

Rob

#35413 - 01/08/2001 07:19 Re: Harddrive Warranty ? [Re: rob]
Janosch
journeyman

Hiho again....

*gosh* I already got a reply....really fast. And....even better: Yep i'm getting a new drive and i'm able to pay a little bit and get a 20 GB Drive. This kind of support makes me even happier with my Unit and confirms that buying an empeg unit was the right decision. *dancing-on-my-desk*

Regards Janosch

#35414 - 01/08/2001 09:31 Re: Harddrive Warranty ? [Re: rob]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
Gosh I thought he just worked long hours...
That explains why I get replies so quick in the afternoon in Texas...

Dave Clark
Austin, Texas
12g Blue MK2
S/N was 80000329 -> now 90000970

#35415 - 01/08/2001 21:57 Re: Harddrive Warranty ? [Re: Janosch]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
this is the kind of service we know and love!!

Murray 06000047
I don't think, therefore I am not.