Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#355288 - 01/10/2012 22:35 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: hybrid8]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
[AAPL] ... The stock price is down. When Apple stock falls it means my personal earnings per share fall. Then again I don't have so many shares that I can say the drops affect my wealth meaningfully....
You're holding your investment wrong (TM cool ). Current share price only matters when you are planning to sell in the near term future. Otherwise it is just noise. If your time horizon for selling is beyond 2012 then it matters not.

Pullbacks and drawdowns in AAPL share price are common enough. The current price action is what it is. For those with well positioned trading accounts this means cash on hand to buy more when the stock bottoms.

I expect to be buying (more) in the next day or two if AAPL bottoms with conviction. And I will not be buying common shares. I trade primarily vertical call spreads and straight calls in medium to longer dated AAPL call options. January and April 2013 options are the current buy targets for me.

#355289 - 01/10/2012 23:20 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: hybrid8]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
You can solve problem 2 easily enough, get off the internets :p
And if you spend all your money and more on iProducts, I'm sure you'll be able to drive up their stock price, but this might has a negative effect on your personal wealth... laugh

#355291 - 02/10/2012 09:53 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: gbeer]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: gbeer
Google doesn't have its own satellites taking pictures and all their imagery is also licensed.

But they do have a satellite.

As I recall it is of sufficiently high resolution that the take goes first to the NSA, who then filters it down to what is allowed for NGA's.

Didn't Keyhole also own a satellite, which Google would have taken over when the bought the company?

#355292 - 02/10/2012 11:01 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: Tim]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Originally Posted By: Tim
Originally Posted By: gbeer
Google doesn't have its own satellites taking pictures and all their imagery is also licensed.

But they do have a satellite.

As I recall it is of sufficiently high resolution that the take goes first to the NSA, who then filters it down to what is allowed for NGA's.

Didn't Keyhole also own a satellite, which Google would have taken over when the bought the company?

I think you are probably mixing up your Keyholes wink

The Keyhole that Google bought wrote what became Google Earth.

There were a series of US spy satellites called Keyhole.

I don't believe the two are connected.

#355293 - 02/10/2012 11:26 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: andy]
Tim
veteran

Originally Posted By: andy
Originally Posted By: Tim

I think you are probably mixing up your Keyholes wink

The Keyhole that Google bought wrote what became Google Earth.

There were a series of US spy satellites called Keyhole.

I don't believe the two are connected.

Naw, I thought that Keyhole (the company) owned it's own commercial satellite Googling with those terms is painful though, because of the KH-11 and KH-12, though.

#355736 - 17/10/2012 02:22 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Here are my issues:

Too light. Feels cheap compared to iPhone 4 or original iPhone.

Too thin. Not anywhere near as comfortable in the hand as an iPhone 4.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/tech-talk-iphone-5/1420759 (Hopefully not region locked)

Personal experience with Maps is getting better. I haven't seen a misplaced marker since the initial ones days after release. User reports, or a remerge of data seems to be helping greatly. I also haven't seen a pin in the right place then route me cross country.

The engine making a guess on location from vague input ( a street address without a city), is still problematic. Today in New York City, a few searches for 102 W 32 St would show up in Lubbock TX. Adding New York fixed it. It really seems the system doesn't factor in where I'm at already as much as Google did.

I'm also feeling a little pain over the lack of built in transit. I thought I found a good app to have Maps redirect to called Transit, but it failed me multiple times. Google Maps via the web in a city with poor cell phone reception was equally frustrating though. This has been the first instance where I wished I had the older iOS 5 maps, since transit directions don't really need turn by turn directions. But a Maps snafu is not enough to get me to swap over to Android. Both ecosystems have negatives, and I'm better equipped to handle the iOS negatives to gain the positives.

#355747 - 17/10/2012 12:25 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I saw the clip on another site the other day. It was funny to a point and very on-topic. Actually one of the funnier SNL clips I've seen in a long time. I'm not a fan of people doing poor Chinese impressions though, so that's the part that had me wincing a bit.

I didn't want a thinner nor lighter phone than the iPhone 4, so I don't feel like I'm backtracking with my first impressions of the iPhone 5. wink

#356559 - 28/11/2012 01:50 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) Apple map problem (new to me) [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
So I searched out my sister's new house in the Ireland country side, and set a bookmark, then attached same to her info in contacts.

Opening the map from her contact info leads to a place nowhere near the previously set bookmark.

What seems to be happening is this, when the location is placed in the contact, the software is attempting to translate the bookmark Into an actual street address.

Which for Irish rural areas just doesn't seem to work. Your postal address is basically your name and and sequential list of mail distribution centers (cities, counties...). With your local postman being the one who knows which house you live in.

I was really expecting the software to just add the map bookmark to the contact. That it would also translate this into an address is ok if it worked.

#356615 - 01/12/2012 08:06 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: andy
I just hope that there is some secret stealth update for Apple's UK mapping coming before the release of iOS6.

At the moment it is still awful.

Months later and there have only been very minor updates to improve iOS6's UK mapping. The improvements I have spotted have been:

- minor/major roads are better differentiated (though still not as well as on Google or Bing)
- "A" roads (major roads) actually get labelled with their number as well as their name
- in south London there are actually a few placenames now, you can open the map in south London and have some vague idea about where places are

However, almost everything that was wrong with UK mapping at launch is still wrong. None of the data fixes I've submitted in the last 6 months have fed through to the map (ok, one appears to have partially fed through, but only to break the map data differently). My two nearest towns are still mislabelled (Reigate is positioned in the centre of Redhill, where Reigate actually is has no label at all).

The worst thing is still that if you open the map at a random location, it is very hard to work out where it is. There is just crap context: limited placenames, placenames given crazy priorties, no railway lines until you zoom a long way in etc etc

This can make things like Find My Friends maddening, especially when using it via Siri because you CAN'T FIND YOUR FRIENDS, "oh, that is where they are, but where the hell is that ?".

Argh.

#356617 - 01/12/2012 13:25 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: andy]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
it is "little" things like this that do the most damage. smile

Stuff like that has always "just worked" in the past, and still does on most smartphones.

#356620 - 01/12/2012 14:51 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: andy]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I have a hard time gauging improvements for the broader US since I wasn't in the same location for long enough to see changes. I can tell lots of work has been going on with the Austin data, both in fixes to locations, and extensions of the flyover coverage. And as stated earlier, I stopped running into the major issues with maps being misleading in the later part of the trip.

The one incident that many failed at was my uncle's place (including the mapping solution on "most smartphones"). The road he lives on was renamed and the houses were renumbered 7 years ago. The newer Nokia Now maps and Bing maps gets it right. Apple, Google, TomTom, and Waze all stumbled. Made for quite the adventure to find him.

#356621 - 01/12/2012 18:56 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: mlord]
andy
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
it is "little" things like this that do the most damage. smile

Stuff like that has always "just worked" in the past, and still does on most smartphones.

I couldn't agree more. At the same time though I understand that Apple were kind of backed into a corner. That doesn't make iOS6 maps any less crappy though frown

#356623 - 01/12/2012 21:04 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: andy]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Does anyone else have the feeling that this could be the start of the wheels coming off at Apple ???

The new iTunes is a total pile of poo poo so far for me, it has broken iPhone syncing and has made it much harder to organise music (in my eyes) that the previous pile of UI poo poo! It also seems dog slow, and crashes during iPhone sync almost every time.

I really hope they are able to sort out the troubles they are quite clearly having without a leader able to keep the ideas people on a short lead.

Would have Apple Maps happened 18 months ago ???

Cheers

Cris

#356624 - 01/12/2012 23:34 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: Cris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Cris

Yes. This was in motion well before Jobs stepped down as CEO. The unfortunate political nature of the smartphone market necessitated the move, and Apple showed their typical weak hand when diving into an unknown area for the first time. The reassignment of the Maps and Siri parts of iOS to Eddie Cue is the "MobileMe was a failure" moment to try and get them back on track. We shall see how much back on track by next summer with the iOS 7 event.

The new iTunes, I'm holding reactions on till I have more time with it, to avoid the initial "it's different therefore crap" mentality. Not seeing any syncing issues with it though.

#356625 - 01/12/2012 23:56 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: drakino]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Conversely, maps works well here in Shanghai.

I'm irritated at it's total failure to function if it's not connected to a data connection, never mind all the map data around me is cached already.

#356626 - 02/12/2012 00:34 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: drakino]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Originally Posted By: drakino

Yes. This was in motion well before Jobs stepped down as CEO.

Yes, but from what I hear, Steve was a perfectionist known for pulling the plug on features that didn't meet his standards, even major ones at the last minute. I'd be surprised if the release didn't at least get pushed back with him at the helm.

#356628 - 02/12/2012 07:20 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: JBjorgen]
andy
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: JBjorgen

Yes. This was in motion well before Jobs stepped down as CEO.

Yes, but from what I hear, Steve was a perfectionist known for pulling the plug on features that didn't meet his standards, even major ones at the last minute. I'd be surprised if the release didn't at least get pushed back with him at the helm.

Explain things like MobileMe or the first few versions of OSX then. Steve was far from perfect, they shipped plenty of unfinished or plain broken features/products when Steve was around too.

#356635 - 02/12/2012 17:19 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: andy]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Touche'

#356668 - 05/12/2012 04:56 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: andy]
drakino
carpal tunnel

No worries Andy, the map problems should be fixed soon.

Apple Promises To Fix Glitches In Map Software

#356672 - 05/12/2012 12:37 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: drakino]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
And here I thought London was already in Canada. smile

#356678 - 05/12/2012 14:47 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: mlord]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I did only visit there after iOS 6 was released, you sure that wasn't a beta site for Apple? wink

#356683 - 05/12/2012 18:17 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: mlord]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK

#356684 - 05/12/2012 18:36 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: Roger]
Tim
veteran

Originally Posted By: Roger

I bet their ice hockey team is dreadful.

#356793 - 14/12/2012 00:27 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Google promised back in 2009 to bring navigation to the iPhone.

And in 2012, they finally delivered. Only took a public spat, and Apple kicking it out of the OS to get it to happen wink

There is actually some differences between it and the Android version design wise. Google's iOS team really seems to be pretty independent, similar to the feel of applications from Microsoft's Mac division. I'll try it out sometime on my next ride with the motorcycle. Still seems to be missing the fun option of "take the scenic route", so TomTom will also still live on my phone.

#356796 - 14/12/2012 02:20 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
My wife was thrilled by this.

I do like the look of the iOS app. Very clean.

Edited by Dignan (14/12/2012 02:20)

#356966 - 02/01/2013 19:52 Re: iPhone 5 (and iOS 6) [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Androids dislike December, and apples like to sleep in during the first part of the new year:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4510

Good time code remains hard.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5