Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#357179 - 17/01/2013 18:40 Re: Photos on the Apple TV [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: DWallach
Originally Posted By: Dignan

While it's a product that I would like, I just don't think it would sell. I also want to observe that if you approach it from another angle, what you're asking for is to put a couple more inputs and a couple more speaker terminals on a Nexus Q smile

If somebody made a clone of the Nexus Q with a beefier amplifier, that would be really attractive for solving a separate problem in my house, wherein I've got my great big speakers that didn't fit into the current home theater so they're sitting forlornly in a corner. I had them hooked up to an Apple Airport Express and a receiver, but I hardly ever used it -- too much of a pain. Sonos makes a box that's got all the right hardware (two channel amp, Ethernet), but I'm not sure I want to buy into their universe.

Yeah, plus that Sonos box is a ridiculous $500. Makes the Q seem like a steal considering all the additional stuff it does.

#357183 - 18/01/2013 14:01 Re: Photos on the Apple TV [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
HDMI is a wonderful thing, isn't it? I'd like better terminals for the rear and center speakers, but otherwise I'm sure I could get by with that receiver.

Ahh, then perhaps you'd like the bottom-of-the-line Onkyo HT-RC460?

Seven channels of real beefy terminals, eight HDMI inputs (one in front), two HDMI outputs, and they even have room equalization. All that, and more, for the really quite remarkably low price of $250. So tell me again why somebody might want to buy a $2000 receiver?

Anyway, since I'm apparently on a roll here, one other gadget caught my eye. Samsung makes a $600 receiver with integrated Bluray player -- probably a good thing if you're setting up a home theater for somebody who hates boxes.

Otherwise, it seems the world of the low-cost receiver has contracted remarkably. Back in the day, you had tons of vendors competing to sell craptastic receivers. If you go to a place like Crutchfield, you won't see much at all at low prices beyond what used to be the second-tier fancy vendors (Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon), who have apparently moved down as others have abandoned the market segment. (Notably unfortunate: Panasonic used to make some great, low-cost receivers with class-D amplifiers. Gone.)

It's all very sad.

#357184 - 18/01/2013 14:10 Re: Photos on the Apple TV [Re: DWallach]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
So tell me again why somebody might want to buy a $2000 receiver?

I happen to have just purchased a Yamaha RX-A3020 for a friend of mine. The primary reason is the 4 zones with Zone 2 & 3 being amplified. The other option would have been a cheaper multi-zone receiver without built-in amplification. Once you add an external amp to the mix, the price gets up there along with the operational complexity.

Other plusses to the Yamaha are built-in AirPlay support and an app for iOS and Android that looks nifty.

Playing with other people's money is fun.

#357185 - 18/01/2013 14:32 Re: Photos on the Apple TV [Re: DWallach]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada

Ahh, then perhaps you'd like the bottom-of-the-line Onkyo HT-RC460?

Seven channels of real beefy terminals, eight HDMI inputs (one in front), two HDMI outputs, and they even have room equalization. All that, and more, for the really quite remarkably low price of $250.

Where is that machine sold for USD$250 ?

Edit: I see it on Amazon.com (USA) for $300, domestic shipping included. But not (new) for $250 anywhere.

Edited by mlord (18/01/2013 14:35)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2