Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3621 - 28/01/2000 16:37 Duty Cycle?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

What kind of long-term usage should I expect from my empeg?

Lately, it gets a pretty good workout: About half an hour on the ride to work, then it plays all day at work sitting on my desk, then another half hour on the ride home. Some evenings it plays for a couple more hours at home.

That's about 10-12 hours of continuous operation per day. I know its only moving parts are in the hard drive, and it's only spinning for a fraction of that time. But I'm also asking about other components such as the display. (Although I do leave the display on a moving visualization to prevent screen burn.)

So, is the unit designed to be played that much? Should it be OK?

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#3622 - 29/01/2000 05:16 Re: Duty Cycle? [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The empeg is designed to work flat out, all the time. Burn-in on the display can be an issue, so if you're leaving it on 24x7, then select a visual that moves about a bit. The track info visual will soon move about very slightly (ie the whole lot will shift up/down a pixel from time to time) to minimise burn-in.

In the very worst case, a display board swap is fairly painless, but you generally only notice burn-in on inverted displays, which there aren't many of.

Hugo
ps: We just got some new visuals... oh, you're going to love these... ;)

#3623 - 29/01/2000 11:21 Re: Duty Cycle? [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

The track info visual will soon move about very slightly (ie the whole lot will shift up/down a pixel from time to time) to minimise burn-in.

Cool!

I was always afraid to leave it on that visual because certain parts of it never seemed to change (the horizontal line and parts of the time display). I was even thinking of putting that on the wish list. How soon do you think we'll be seeing these new visuals?

I'm glad to know the Empeg is designed for that kind of long-term usage. Thanks for the info.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#3624 - 29/01/2000 20:42 Re: Duty Cycle? [Re: altman]
scoco

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Happy! happy! happy! Joy! Joy! Joy! The visuals seem to be what everyone that I show the Empeg too are most impressed with (kinda sad me thinks).

ps: We just got some new visuals... oh, you're going to love these... ;)