Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#36385 - 12/08/2001 08:36 Quick question about playlist navigation
Folsom

Loc: Atlanta
Let's say I have a playlist with the following structure:

Genre>Artist>Album>Songs

If I play a the last song of the album, does the playlist go to the next album/artist, or does it go back to track 1 of the album?

If it goes to track 1, then I have additional questions:

If I press "rewind", does it start at the beginning of the song, or does it go to the previous song? If I am at track 1, does it go to the last track?

If I press "forward" and I am on the last track of the album, does it skip to the first track?

Basically, I want to set up the empeg as a big CD changer. I would like it to repeat the album unless I tell it to go to a new album.

Tnanks for any info;

Clint

#36386 - 12/08/2001 09:31 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: Folsom]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
you can either have it stop playing or repeat the playlist when it reaches the end dependant upon the settings you choose for that playlist

if you press the back button withing 3 seconds of the song starting it goes to the previous track. so if you are playing the first track it goes to the last track. if you hit the back button after 3 seconds it goes to the beginning of the track you are playing. if you press forward on the last track in the playlist it goes to the first track in the playlist

having it work like a big cd changer would not be a problem

32Gig MK2 In 2001 VW Golf TDI

Matt

#36387 - 12/08/2001 09:33 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: Folsom]
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Loc: Dover, NJ
If you select the last song, it will only play the last song. If you select the album, it will start playing from the beginning of the album. If you then skip to the last song, it will play the last song, and stop. If you press forward, it will want to start the album over again from the beginning.

If you're in the middle of the last song (at any point where it hasn't stopped playing yet) and you hit forward, it skips to the first song on the album and wants to play the album over again.

If memory serves, it wouldn't just autorepeat an album. If you tell it to play anything (album, or song) it will play that and then stop. Then you have the option (by pressing one button) to restart that song or playlist.

--Chris Willenbrock
MK2 | 12GB | Queue Registration # 2 (really!)

#36388 - 12/08/2001 09:44 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: Folsom]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If I play a the last song of the album, does the playlist go to the next album/artist, or does it go back to track 1 of the album?

If you hit Play on the Album, then it goes back to track 1 of the album. If you select and play just the song, then it only plays that song.

It only plays exactly what you selected. If you select a playlist, it only plays that playlist and its children. If you select a song, it only plays that song. If you wanted it to go to the next album, then you need to start your playback somewhere higher up in the tree-- for instance, hit play on the artist instead of the abum. Then your playlist becomes the artist's entire catalog as one big playlist.

If I press "rewind", does it start at the beginning of the song, or does it go to the previous song?

First of all, let's get our semantics straight. There are two separate controls for "rewind" and "previous track". Rewind simply rewinds the music, like the rewind control on a cassette tape player. Based on the context of your question, I'm going to assume you're referring to the "previous track" control, not the rewind control.

The "previous track" control works like a consumer CD player. If you press it within the first 5 seconds of a song, it will go to the prior song. If you press it after the first 5 seconds of a song, it will restart the same song.

If I am at track 1, does it go to the last track?

If you are on the first track of a playlist, it will go to the last track of the playlist. It depends on what's in the playlist, though. If you chose to play an album, then it would go to the last track of the album. If you chose to play an entire artist, it would go to the last track of the artist. If you chost to play an entire genre, it would go to the last track of the genre.

If I press "forward" and I am on the last track of the album, does it skip to the first track?

Same thing applies as with the "previous track" button. It will wrap around to the beginning of the current playlist.

Basically, I want to set up the empeg as a big CD changer. I would like it to repeat the album unless I tell it to go to a new album.

Yes, you can do this, but you have to specifically choose that album if you want it to behave this way.

The best part is, the empeg can be much more free-form than that. You don't need to be merely limited to making it act like a CD changer. Sure, it'll do that, but after you've owned it for a while, you'll realize how flexible the playlists are and start to come up with new ways of listening to your music.

I have my trees set up as artist/album, just like you describe, but I hardly ever access it that way. Most of the time, I'm shuffling the whole player, or shuffling custom playlists I've created. If I'm shuffling the whole player, and a certain song hits where I want to hear the rest of the album, I simply turn off shuffle, and it'll un-shuffle "around" that song allowing me to navigate the album using the prev/next keys.

#36389 - 12/08/2001 09:47 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: cwillenbrock]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If memory serves, it wouldn't just autorepeat an album.

Yes it will. When you create the playlist in Emplode, there is a check box named "automatically repeat". If you check this box, that playlist will auto-repeat when you select it.

By default, this box is unchecked. I think I've requested that it be checked by default in future versions of emplode, but I don't know if they're going to implement it that way or not.

#36390 - 12/08/2001 09:49 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: tfabris]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

no thanks unchecked is fine then I would have to uncheck it every time :-)

Matt

#36391 - 12/08/2001 09:59 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: tfabris]
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Loc: Dover, NJ
I agree, I wouldn't want it checked by default.

When I said it wouldn't autorepeat, I was referring to the default setting for the software. I suppose I should have mentioned that if you check that checkbox in the emplode software on hundreds of playlists, they can all behave that way. I read the question from the perpective of one sitting in their car...there's no menu option to "autorepeat" your playlists...you'd have to set that up in advance.

Sorry for being unclear.

--Chris Willenbrock
MK2 | 12GB | Queue Registration # 2 (really!)

#36392 - 12/08/2001 10:22 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: cwillenbrock]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Hmmm. I think I would want it to auto-repeat by default. Sounds like this would be a good one to put in global default preferences in Emplode.

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#36393 - 12/08/2001 11:59 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: cwillenbrock]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

Just wanted to throw in my opinion on the auto-repeat setting. I surely wouldn't want it to be on by default.

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, #080000113)

#36394 - 12/08/2001 12:09 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: smu]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Default playlist options are in under Tools|Options in emplode v2.0 -- you will be able to set them the way you want them.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#36395 - 12/08/2001 14:19 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: tfabris]
Folsom

Loc: Atlanta
The best part is, the empeg can be much more free-form than that. You don't need to be merely limited to making it act like a CD changer. Sure, it'll do that, but after you've owned it for a while, you'll realize how flexible the playlists are and start to come up with new ways of listening to your music

Thanks for the info. The way I listen to music is that I start with one song, and then I decide I want to listen to a different album. The selection I want usually changes all over. I've tried having listening to random songs, but I end up wanting to control the music.

I'm glad it's easy to find a particular album. One question: if I want to put the tracks from an album in track order, do I then have to place them individually in emplode to get the sequence correct? All my mp3s have the track number as the first two digits to get the track sequence correct.

#36396 - 12/08/2001 14:39 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: Folsom]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
emplode sorts the files dropped on it alphabetically. If you prefix the names with the track number, it'll just work.

You can reorder tracks (by dragging) once they're in emplode, as well.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#36397 - 12/08/2001 20:19 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: Roger]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

YAY !!!!

Matt

#36398 - 13/08/2001 03:45 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: tfabris]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
Tony wrote:

> When you create the playlist in Emplode, there is a check box named "automatically repeat".

Presumably this works by setting a tag on the playlist, but this tag isn't mentioned in Sven's guide. Can anyone help, for the benefit of those of us who don't have Emplode? [*]

I remember hearing something about auto-shuffle and exclude-from-shuffle tags; anyone have the details on how to do these?

[*] Technically, I do have Emplode - but that's little use without a Windows box to run it on.

--
Toby Speight

#36399 - 13/08/2001 05:15 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: tms13]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Presumably this works by setting a tag on the playlist, but this tag isn't mentioned in Sven's guide. Can anyone help, for the benefit of those of us who don't have Emplode?

Peter@empeg responded to a similar question here.

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#36400 - 13/08/2001 05:34 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: bonzi]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
Thanks for the quick response.

Sven, could you add this to your Tweaks page?

--
Toby Speight

#36401 - 13/08/2001 05:45 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: tms13]
smu
old hand

Hi.

> When you create the playlist in Emplode, there is a check box named "automatically repeat".

Presumably this works by setting a tag on the playlist, but this tag isn't mentioned in Sven's guide. Can anyone help, for the benefit of those of us who don't have Emplode? [*]

I just updated my page to include the requested info. To shorten this thread: Auto-repeat is enabled by adding the hex value of 0x10 to the playlist "options=x" line. If that line does not exist, simply append "options=10" to the playlist control file (the *1 FID), if the line exists, view the value as a two-digit hex value and add 10 to it.

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)

#36402 - 13/08/2001 06:11 Re: Quick question about playlist navigation [Re: smu]
smu
old hand

Hi.

Just a note: I re-updated my site, adding some more info on the options tag in the playlist's control file.

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)