Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#36498 - 14/08/2001 05:32 Questions
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Hi all!

i'm still thinking of replacing that Neo mp3 player I've got with an empeg player. I'm not sure yet however (but taking my past track record into account when it comes to these sorts of matters, I probably will)

There are still some things I would like to know :

I've got a great (even if I do say so myself) system in my car, consisting out of a pioneer DEH-9000R unit (great unit with a organic-EL screen), twee amps (pioneer A-class amps, 130watts x 4 (speakers) and 1 x 600 watts (subwoofer). The pioneer headunit does a great job of steering those amps and has a built-in equilizer.
This is my problem. I DO NOT really want to get rid of this headunit. So, if possible in any way, I'd like to keep it. Problem : I don't have two din slots. I drive a BMW compact (great trunk to implement an audio system), and this car only provides one din slot.

If ANYONE has any idea of how to implement a second din in my BMW dash, I'm very anxious to hear about it!
Maybe I'll just cut another one out of my dash, but I'll have to be sure that there's room enough behind it to fit the empeg. (what are the dimensions of the empeg?)

If this doesn't seem possible, then I guess I have to say goodbye to my headunit.

Intro Empeg.
Does the empeg have the ability to steer a subwoofer internally? Or will I have to finetune the sound on the amps themself? (I would really hate that)

Could anybody point me towards an on-line users manual of the empeg, so I could check out it's features (I do believe it's got a built in equalizer too?). Or mail me a copy? ([email protected]).
Thanks!

Second question. I've noticed on these boards that the Empeg HQ is located in Cambridge (right?). This is not that far from here. Is it possible to drive up to there and buy a unit directly from these guys?
This has two reasons :
1) I absolutely hate mail orders
2) I could make a small weekend-trip out of it, so my girlfriend will be happy too. (got to keep the woman happy, no?)

Thanks!

#36499 - 14/08/2001 05:52 Re: Questions [Re: BartDG]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
I've got a great (even if I do say so myself) system in my car, consisting out of a pioneer DEH-9000R unit (great unit with a organic-EL screen), twee amps (pioneer A-class amps, 130watts x 4 (speakers) and 1 x 600 watts (subwoofer). The pioneer headunit does a great job of steering those amps and has a built-in equilizer.
This is my problem. I DO NOT really want to get rid of this headunit. So, if possible in any way, I'd like to keep it. Problem : I don't have two din slots. I drive a BMW compact (great trunk to implement an audio system), and this car only provides one din slot.

Is it for the equalizer only that you want to keep that headunit? If so, don't keep it, the empeg has a marvelous 4*5band (or 2*10band) parametric equalizer that should be at least as good as the one in the pioneer headunit.

(what are the dimensions of the empeg?)

It is a standard DIN unit, so its about 18.5cm wide (7.3"), 5.5cm high (2.2") and takes up about 17-18cm depthwise (6.7"-7.1"). These are my measurements jut taken from the unit, I am not sure about the official dimensions.

Does the empeg have the ability to steer a subwoofer internally? Or will I have to finetune the sound on the amps themself? (I would really hate that)

I am not sure what you are asking for here. I guess you would like to know wether the empeg has a seperate output dedicated to the subwoofer, right? If so: No, it doesn't. You will have to use some external solution to split off the signal for the sub.

Could anybody point me towards an on-line users manual of the empeg

The current version of the user manual is available from http://www.empeg.com/cgi-bin/display.cgi?section=downloads&id=7 as a PDF document (somewhere at the bottom of the page).

(I do believe it's got a built in equalizer too?)

It has, and a good one for sure.

Empeg HQ is located in Cambridge (right?).

Correct.

Is it possible to drive up to there and buy a unit directly from these guys?

I'm not sure if it is still the case (but I would bet it is), but it used to be possible to arrange picking up the unit as part of the normal ordering process. Just leave a note when ordering asking for specifics to go pick it up.

I could make a small weekend-trip out of it, so my girlfriend will be happy too. (got to keep the woman happy, no?)

Guess so ;-)

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)

#36500 - 14/08/2001 10:36 Re: Questions [Re: BartDG]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This is my problem. I DO NOT really want to get rid of this headunit.

Good luck in finding a way to make two DIN units fit. I don't know anything about BMWs, so I don't know if it's feasible or not. If you don't have room in your dash for a second head unit, though, the empeg probably won't work in the trunk.

Do consider using the empeg as your only head unit. I know it's a hard decision to drop the other head unit, and I respect that. But the empeg makes a great "only stereo", and I don't miss my old head unit at all. If CD playback is necessary for you, a portable in the glove box (with the empeg's aux-in lines accessible) will do fine.

The empeg does not have a separate subwoofer output, sorry. It only has stereo front and rear outputs controlled by a fader.

But think about it. Once you've got things set right, how often do you touch the fader in your system? After I balanced my amps, my fader was always set in the exact center. So I eventually re-wired it so that my rear outputs go to the subwoofer, and the front outputs drive all the other speakers. Now my fader is my subwoofer level control. You might want to consider wiring it that way.

I do believe it's got a built in equalizer too?

Yes. Twenty bands (well, OK ten bands if you want L/R to be the same), with each band being totally parametric. I don't think any other consumer-level car stereo has anything nearly that advanced. It's probably the most powerful EQ you'll ever use.

If you want, you can make it be five separate bands for front and rear outputs, too. EQ the fronts and the rears differently if you like. Very powerful.

I've noticed on these boards that the Empeg HQ is located in Cambridge (right?). This is not that far from here. Is it possible to drive up to there and buy a unit directly from these guys?

I don't know if they'll sell you one directly or not (Rob?), but you definitely can bring your unit there to get it serviced if (god forbid) it ever needs it. Hugo himself will probably be the one doing the work.

#36501 - 14/08/2001 13:25 Re: Questions [Re: smu]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Is it for the equalizer only that you want to keep that headunit? If so, don't keep it, the empeg has a marvelous 4*5band (or 2*10band) parametric equalizer that should be at least as good as the one in the pioneer headunit.

No, the most important reason I want to keep the head unit is because it drives the amps and speakers in a very advanced way. It has every output one can ever imagine and it does it's work very well.
And also maybe, (just maybe) I can play a CD with it too now and then :)

But I've thought about this today. I don't know if you people are familiar with the interior of BMW cars. On the left hand side, next to the steering wheel there is a compartment. This was a small compartment, but I've ajusted it to make it fit a Neo. I don't see, if it can fit a Neo which is VERY deep (the length of a removable HD rack ('cause basically that's what it is), why it shouldn't be able to fit my regular headunit. The Empeg would the be placed where the original head unit was. I do believe this is feasable. It may be an odd sight, with my Pioneer next to my left knee, but at least it would get to keep it AND have an Empeg running at the same time.
I don't know why I didn't come up with this before.

I am not sure what you are asking for here. I guess you would like to know wether the empeg has a seperate output dedicated to the subwoofer, right? If so: No, it doesn't. You will have to use some external solution to split off the signal for the sub

Yes, that was exactly what I was asking. With my Pioneer everything is controlled and fine tuned (up 'till a point where it become ridiculous even) by the headunit. This works very well and enables real geek-like finetuning. (but since you're probably all audio nuts, I don't have to stress the importance of this to you?)

Is it possible to drive up to there and buy a unit directly from these guys?

I'm not sure if it is still the case (but I would bet it is), but it used to be possible to arrange picking up the unit as part of the normal ordering process. Just leave a note when ordering asking for specifics to go pick it up.

I will. I have some a week of vacantion left by the end of september, so I will get in touch with 'em by then. Ideal would be if I could get rid of the Neo by then too.

Thanks for the info Sven!

Tfabris :
This is my problem. I DO NOT really want to get rid of this headunit.

Good luck in finding a way to make two DIN units fit. I don't know anything about BMWs, so I don't know if it's feasible or not. If you don't have room in your dash for a second head unit, though, the empeg probably won't work in the trunk.

I sure as hell don't want it to work in the trunk and this for two very good reasons :
A) There's hardly any space left in my trunk with those two amps and that sub
B) When you buy a nice painting, you don't really put it in a safe now do you? :)

But with the method I've described above, it would seem that I would not have to make compromises. (Yay!)

Once you've got things set right, how often do you touch the fader in your system? After I balanced my amps, my fader was always set in the exact center. So I eventually re-wired it so that my rear outputs go to the subwoofer, and the front outputs drive all the other speakers. Now my fader is my subwoofer level control. You might want to consider wiring it that way.

Hmm, I fiddle a lot with the control levels of my speakers, always trying to find that 'perfect' sound. Sometimes this is even necessary because of the subwoofer. A lot of bass is not disturbing with eg. trance music, but it is with ambient or any other 'softer' genre. I sure you can relate.

Also, I like the possibilities of the equalizer you're describing. (the one on the Pioneer only has 13 channels). Oh yes, this sure does make my mouth water! :)

Also to you Tony : thanks for the info!

You know : this is also one of the reasons I'm leaning towards Empeg : it's seems to have such an incredibly strong user base, and really EVERYBODY who talks about it is enthusiastic. (this can't be said for the Neo, which is a fine solution, once you get past it's teething problems)

Sorry for the length of this post....

#36502 - 14/08/2001 16:54 Re: Questions [Re: BartDG]
Ruffles

Loc: Seattle, WA
I had a Pioneer Premier DEH930 that died. I replaced it with a Rio Car. I had some of the same concerns as you do about replacing my head unit. I know exactly what you mean about wanting a dedicated sub output. With MP3's, I especially need control over the sub because not all of the files are normalized the same. I'm still looking for the perfect solution but I think I've found something. The audiobahn (http://www.audiobahninc.com/index2.htm) AX202X crossover has two inputs for front and rear from the Rio and it creates a sub output with a remote knob that can be mounted in the dash. I've ordered one for $120 and should get it in a week or so so I'll let you know how it works.

#36503 - 14/08/2001 18:45 Re: Questions [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
You can collect the unit from Cambridge if you want, but don't get too excited about what you'll find there. We don't have a showroom and the development floor is pretty much off limits without an NDA at the moment.

Of course Cambridge is a nice enough destination in it's own right, and if you turn up at a lunch time there is always the possibility of beer and thai food.

Rob

#36504 - 15/08/2001 02:15 Re: Questions [Re: Ruffles]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Indeed Ruffles : I've looked at it too and it seems that this might do the trick.
But as I've already stated above : I probably won't have a need for it anymore.
This doesn't mean however that I'm not curious if it does a good job or not, so yes : please let me know when you install it.

Rob :

Ha, this is good news : I believe that by the end of september you may expect a visit from me.

And I may hold you up on that offer of food & beer (I might even bring along some nice Belgian beers :)).

Oh yeah, and if there is a possibility to see the development floor by signing an NDA, I have no problem with this whatsoever. Heck, I'll sign two or three if you want. (this might even mean more Belgian beers for you! *hint!* :))