Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#364817 - 19/09/2015 02:02 Re: Windows 10 - don't forget to phone home! [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Has Windows added any sort of permissions repair tool that will correct this? It's not a big concern for me, curious about a quick fix similar to the OS X "Repair Permissions" option for these types of issues.

#364819 - 19/09/2015 03:43 Re: Windows 10 - don't forget to phone home! [Re: drakino]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
In W7. I've seen cases where a PDFs doc is open in the preview pane on the right of the file manager. And I open the file in acrobat to redline it - then I can't save the file till I close the preview pane. This isn't limited to acrobat.

#364820 - 19/09/2015 03:45 Re: Windows 10 - don't forget to phone home! [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
The worst part is that it's sort of like putting a fancier lock on your front door. If some one really wants to break into your house, you're not going to be safe just because you have a keypad, or a bump-proof lock. A crowbar or a broken window will do it.

It's pretty easy to get access to the files in a user account on Windows but just changing ownership. I guess they feel like a slight deterrent is enough.

Tom, I'm not aware of such a tool, but would be interested in finding one. I don't see these kinds of issues alot, but just in case...

#364997 - 08/10/2015 15:22 Re: Windows 10 - don't forget to phone home! [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I wonder if this permissions issue I saw is now causing other problems.

My start menu broke now. Clicking the Windows button, or hitting the Command (windows) key does nothing. Right clicking still works to bring up a different menu. And since all my games are on the taskbar, hasn't impeded the ability to play games, yet.

The only thing I do with this install is boot it, launch Battle.net or Steam and play a game. If the NVidia thing tells me I have a new driver, it gets installed. Windows self updates.

#365006 - 08/10/2015 20:20 Re: Windows 10 [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: tfabris
Control Panel, Ease of Access, Make The Mouse Easier To Use, "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen.
That's not the behavior I was referring to. I hated it whenever the mouse cursor touched the top of the screen it made that window go full-screen. Or maybe that is what you meant.

I have found an annoying little glitch in Windows 10 that I hadn't had in previous Windows versions.

Always before, when I wanted to move a window on the desktop, all I had to do was put the cursor on the menu bar and drag it. Now there is a delay, not every time but mostly, and where the cursor is placed in the menu bar seems much more picky. When I do get the cursor placed where Windows is happy with it, I have to pause a little less than a second until I see the cursor flicker, then I can drag the window.

Is it just me, or do others see this behavior?

tanstaafl.

#365017 - 09/10/2015 14:32 Re: Windows 10 [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Tony passed along this which fixed my issue with the Start Menu.
Code:
Step 1: Right click on Start Menu button and a smaller menu will appear instead.
        From that smaller menu select Command Prompt (Admin).

Step 2: In the administrator command prompt, type in powershell and hit enter.

Step 3: Paste the following Command in the Powershell(previosuly was Command Prompt) window and hit enter.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

#365018 - 09/10/2015 15:08 Re: Windows 10 [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The interesting thing is, that fix worked for everyone else but me. When I had a similar issue with Windows 10, it was when I was running Win 10 in a VM via remote desktop, and via remote desktop, I still didn't have a Start menu after doing that fix.

To fix it in a VM, I had to wipe and re-create the user profile for the affected user. (Make a new user profile, log in as that user profile, wipe the user profile of the affected user, re-log in as the affected user, user profile gets rebuilt, start menu works now.)

#365040 - 12/10/2015 20:09 Re: Windows 10 [Re: tfabris]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I've just yesterday installed Windows 10, and I like it. There's only one thing I got a problem with: I've got a folder filled with videos, collected from the internet over the years. These reside on a second HD, the OS is on an SSD.

Now, some (not all) of the videos don't play any more. (they played fine on Windows 8.1) They show no thumb icon in explorer and when clicked don't start to play. Windows Media Player says it cannot play them because I don't have access to the file or because it's already in use, and VLC says the file can't be opened.

Because I suspected this had something to do with file policies, as a test I copied one of the stubborn files onto a USB stick (obviously formatted with FAT32, which doesn't support file policies), and what do you know: from this stick the file plays perfectly. If I want to copy the file back to the original file and choose "overwrite", I get an error, saying the original file can't be accessed.

So this is obviously some file policy issue. How can I fix this? I want all these files to be completely opened up. I'm the only user of this computer, so I don't care about file policies anyway. My user account is an administrator account, so I would think I'd have access to everything. Turns out I do not.

Can anybody help me please? Is there a Windows equivalent of chmod 777? smile

#365042 - 12/10/2015 21:55 Re: Windows 10 [Re: BartDG]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Test this out on just one of the troublesome files first. If it works for one, try it on more of the files.

First check to see if it's simply that the file is tagged as some kind of a web download and so it's considered to have come from an unsafe location:
- Right click on the file and select PROPERTIES.
- At the bottom of the properties box look for the text "Security: This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer."
- If so, there should be an UNBLOCK button next to it. Hit that.

If that isn't the issue, then try this.

Try editing the security policies of the file, see if you can Take Ownership and set it to access "everyone" to be "full control".

If those don't work, let us know and we can try other stuff.

Edited by tfabris (12/10/2015 21:56)

#365044 - 13/10/2015 07:12 Re: Windows 10 [Re: tfabris]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Thanks for the help Tony.

I tried what you said, but when I click Properties on the file, there is no text that says that the file came from another computer.

When I go to the security tab, there is a text that says: "you need read autorisation to see the properties of this object - Click Advanced to continue" (roughly translated from Dutch 'cause my Windows is a Dutch version ; the Enlish version of this message may very but I'm sure you get the gist)

When I click Advanced, there is one of those "Admin buttons" (you know, with a little shield icon) which says, "click here to try and do the operation with a higher clearance".

When I click the button I see another menu with "advanced security settings" (see below - in Dutch, sorry about that)

When I get here, I don't know what to do. I don't see a button to "take ownership". There is a button on the bottom, which says "overname uitschakelen" (= disable takeover). If I click that, I get two options : "convert the autorisations taken over for this object to explicit autorisations" or "remove all taken over autorisations of this object".
The first options doesn't make a difference, and the second gives me a popup box that says: "if you continue, nobody will have access to this file any more, and only it's owner may change the autorisations. - do you wish to continue?" If I try that, nothing changes as well. (except I can see that all the 4 autorisations (for Admin, system etc...) disappear. I've also found out that I cannot even delete these files, since (it says) I'm not an Administrator (but I am!).

On the other hand, simply copying these files to another folder on the same harddisk (so it's not necessary to copy to a USB stick) also fixes the issue... I can play the copied file fine. But I cannot copy them back and overwrite the original file because I'm not allowed access to the original file...and cannot delete it... strange!

Edit: I found a utility called TakeOwnershipPro. Using it on a locked file does not make it playable, but from that moment on I can delete it. So worst case scenario, I guess I'll simply copy all files to a different folder, use TakeOwnershipPro on the old folder, next delete it and then copy everything back. It's a pain and will probably take me some time, but most of the process is automated so I guess it could be worse.

#365076 - 19/10/2015 17:04 Re: Windows 10 [Re: tanstaafl.]
aksnowbiker
new poster

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
Windows 10 finally put an end to my well used Cakewalk Home Studio 2. Rather than being handed the Realtek line in / out ports on my Toshiba P755 (Core i7-2670QM), it is asked to use "WsAudio_Device" which I don't think was there under Windows 7. So, it is probably a logical sound adapter (does that make sense?) that Cakewalk is unprepared for.

That's okay though. It was time to use something else, so now I'm exploring Audacity.

#365077 - 19/10/2015 17:25 Re: Windows 10 [Re: aksnowbiker]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I had a similar situation with an old version of Logic Audio when upgrading Windows versions and audio adapters. I was saved by ASIO 4 All. If there's a chance you can configure cakewalk to use an ASIO driver, then that might help.

Do explore Audacity, though, and also explore Reaper.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2