Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#365681 - 03/01/2016 10:27 Re: Moving to Android [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Originally Posted By: Dignan

I'm still a little confused, but let me try to address some things:

When you say "The main account is actually my domain account, which is coupled to Gmail," what does that mean? Does that mean it's a Google Apps account?

Yes. It's my own domain coupled with Google Apps. This essentially makes it a Gmail account, it's just got a different domain extension.
So take eg. my domain would be "mysite.be", then my main email account would be "[email protected]". This site is indeed integrated with Gmail through it's MX records.

Or are you just set up on your web host to forward emails to a domain you own to a GMail account? For example, you own archeon.com, and have set up [email protected] to forward to [email protected]. You may never use [email protected], instead sending and receiving from GMail as [email protected] and just using GMail for mail handling. Naturally, the best way to do such a thing would be to pay $50 a year for Google Apps and truly integrate your domain with GMail through MX and SRV records, but then it isn't free.

This may now cost $50/year, but I did this years ago, when it was free, and for me it still is. I just need to pay my registrar €12/year for the registration of my site, that's it. I also don't use this domain extension for anything else than email. There's no site that goes with it eg.

Am I close on this part?

Yes. smile

The other part is about using GMail account A to check GMail accounts B and C through POP. Naturally, this will work, but probably isn't ideal. Regardless, it would be helpful to know how this part is set up in order to fix your issue. When GMail account A checks B and C, are you telling it to leave a copy when it retrieves the mail?

Well, the problem has been pinpointed (but not fixed) as you probably have read in the post above this one, but as said, I don't think this "creative way" of pulling emails from other accounts into one has got anything to do with the problem itself. I'm currently back to again just using the mail email account, containing the imports of the other accounts, and in that configuration, everything works peachy. Of course, now I don't have push email on the imported accounts anymore. As said, this is no biggie since I've worked like this for years on my iPhone, but I do think it's a shame that Android seems to mess up in this "mark as read" department when more than one Gmail account is set up on the same phone.

But to explain a bit more: Take eg. A is my main account (mysite.be), B and C are Gmail accounts. In the account setup of B and C, I have both IMAP and POP3 enabled. POP3 because I need it for the import function.
I then setup account A to import the mail of accounts B and C via POP3. Account labels the imported emails from B and C correctly and puts them in their own subfolder. The original mail also stays on the account B and C. (or leaves a copy like you say)

If I were in your situation, I would log into all three accounts in my browser separately and then switch between them in one tab, or open one tab for each inbox. That would keep the accounts separate.

Well, this exactly is the crux that got me into thinking up this alternative way of checking more than one email account in ONE account : what you say seems logical, but it's impossible. It seems you can only have ONE email account open at the same time in one specific browser. You can circumvent this a bit by installing multiple browsers and opening up one account in Firefox, one in Chrome and one in IE eg, but at work I don't have the admin rights needed to install extra stuff.

On Android, I think you want to handle things very differently than you are now. First, K447's suggestion would be the one I'd jump to immediately. From the description of your setup, it sounds like account A is already getting emails from B and C, but you've also set up your phone to get emails directly from accounts B and C. If those connections are POP, then it makes sense that your read status isn't synced because that's impossible with POP.

Correct, but I wasn't saying this about the subfolders with the imported POP3 emails of account A. I was talking about the true inboxes of all three accounts, which (I would think) are configured as IMAP.

But this still leaves me confused, because it sounds like you should be seeing double emails on your phone. Account A would get emails from accounts B and C, and accounts B and C are pulling email to the phone separately.

Yes, this is true. But since I don't use one big inbox but rather read every imbox from each account separately (basically hopping from account to account, very easy to do in Gmail), this not an issue. Also, as said, the imported emails are stored in specific subfolders of account A, which I specifically have to tap to read. Again: no problem, because I don't see the imported email if I don't specifically tap on them.

#365682 - 03/01/2016 10:29 Re: Moving to Android [Re: mlord]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
My number one advice is to UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER if possible. Do this NOW, before you customize anything, because unlocking it will ERASE the phone back to factory state (more or less).

Unlocking the bootloader is usually a requirement before a phone can be "rooted", which is something you WILL want to do eventually, so best to unlock it now. On a Google Nexus or OnePlus phone, this is as simple as typing "fastboot oem unlock" on a connected PC.

I suppose one needs to do this from a Linux PC Mark? Or can this be done from Windows as well?

Benefits of rooting? Well, this gives the ability to customize things beyond what the maker (and google) might normally permit.

Eg. Better Ad-Blocking. UI customizations. Titanium Backup (the best backup/restore app on Android), etc..

I'm pretty happy with the functionality of the phone as-is, but if I had the choice, I would like to install Cyanogenmod on it. I'm guessing I need to root the phone before I can do that?

Also, this Titanium backup app, would this allow me to make a complete backup of the phone, and completely install everything back and make the phone usuable again should anything should go wrong at some point? This is about the only thing I still miss in Android compared to my iPhone: I used to make backups on a weekly basis, and if anything went wrong, I formatted the phone, put the backup back and voila, everything was back the way it was. Can Titanium do this as well?

#365683 - 03/01/2016 13:24 Re: Moving to Android [Re: BartDG]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
You can unlock the bootloader from Windows, you just need to install the Android dev kit.

http://nexus5.wonderhowto.com/how-to/unl...rience-0149956/

#365684 - 03/01/2016 13:39 Re: Moving to Android [Re: BartDG]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Archeon
I suppose one needs to do this from a Linux PC Mark? Or can this be done from Windows as well?

It is easiest when done from a Linux box, because Linux requires no special drivers to talk to a phone. Windows DOES often require special drivers for this to work. But lots of people manage it, so it can't be too bad of an ordeal. smile

if I had the choice, I would like to install Cyanogenmod on it. I'm guessing I need to root the phone before I can do that?

No, installing a sudo (aka. "root") app is not needed to do that. But unlocking the bootloader is required if you want to install any system software (eg. Cyanogenmod) that isn't signed by Google as an update for the original system.

Android phones have two bootable partitions in flash: the primary "boot" partition is for the main operating system, and the "recovery" partition provides a stripped down mini-system for installing updates or wiping the phone back to factory status.

After unlocking the bootloader, install a TeamWin Recovery Partition image ("TWRP") to replace the limited functionality of the stock recovery image. TWRP can then be used to create an exact/complete "nandroid" backup of the phone. It can also be used to install other distributions (aka. "ROMs") in place of the original ROM.

Titanium Backup can do similar (but not quite the same) backups, but is more useful at the "app" level, where it can maintain multiple generations of app updates/data, and allow reverting back to older/newer copies at will.

Perhaps the very best thing to do with an unlocked bootloader, is to install MultiROM, which is basically a special second stage bootloader that prompts with a list of installed ROMs to boot from. I use this here to clone my primary system before installing newer updates. If the updates mess anything up, I can just reboot back in the original unmodified copy instead. Or switch back and forth at boot time between different ROMs (eg. stock versus Cyanogenmod versus better versions of cyanogenmod).

Cheers

#365685 - 03/01/2016 13:46 Re: Moving to Android [Re: petteri]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Here's a good article illustrating some of the empowerment that comes from an unlocked bootloader with TWRP then installed:

http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-to/ul...r-need-0156006/

#365686 - 03/01/2016 14:04 Re: Moving to Android [Re: petteri]
mlord
carpal tunnel

For MS-Windows users, there are numerous .EXE files available that simplify the drivers/tools/unlocking/TWRP/root process. It can get somewhat complex on MS-Win, thus those ever so "helpful" .EXEs.

The problem is, one doesn't know what is inside those binary .EXE files, or what else they just happen to install on both the PC and the phone while doing the biz.

From a Linux system, or even just a LiveUSB stick, one can see the entire process in action, and realize that it is much simpler than people may lead one to believe.

First, install the Android "fastboot" command on the Linux box. Just typing it at the prompt on a Linux Mint (or Ubuntu) system should give back the command to install it if not already present. You'll also need to locate/download a suitable TWRP image file for your specific phone.

Connect the phone to the Linux box with a USB cable.

Now, put the phone into "bootloader" mode. The exact method varies by brand/model, but usually is something like: power off the phone, then hold Vol-Up while pressing the Power button.

From the Linux box (as root):

fastboot devices ## See if it found your phone.
fastboot oem unlock ## Wipes the phone, unlocks the bootloader

After the phone resets/reboots, put it back into bootloader mode again, same as before. Then do this to flash the TWRP image, and boot directly into it for the first time.

fastboot flash recovery NAME_OF_TWRP_RECOVERY_IMAGE_FILE
fastboot boot NAME_OF_TWRP_RECOVERY_IMAGE_FILE

Enjoy.

Another useful thing to do, is enable "Developer" options on the Android device. This is normally done by going to the "Settings" app, then to "About Phone", and then repeatedly tapping on the "Build number" item until it says you are now a Developer. smile

The result of that, is a new "Developer Options" menu entry under Settings (one level up from "About Phone"). Go there, and enable "Advanced Reboot" and "Android Debugging". This will then allow you to get into TWRP more directly from the power-off confirmation dialog (press and hold power button, select Reboot, and observe the new menu that then appears).

The "Android Debugging" thing enables use of the "adb" command from a connected PC to manage the phone (upload/download files, issue commands, and generally poke around). The first time a particular PC is connected, the phone will pop up a security confirmation dialog to permit/deny access to the phone from that PC.

I cannot recall, but you may even find it necessary to do this step above before anything else can be done (eg. unlocking, flashing recovery, ..).

Cheers

#365687 - 03/01/2016 14:33 Re: Moving to Android [Re: mlord]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

This is very helpful info Mark, it sure doesn't look all that difficult, thanks!
I've got an old box here, I might as well put Mint on it. Or would this also work from a Windows system running Mint in Virtualbox?

#365688 - 03/01/2016 14:40 Re: Moving to Android [Re: petteri]
mlord
carpal tunnel

I think it might be better standalone, mainly because USB device access is required, and I'm not sure how/if virtualbox might handle that.

But do remember, the "fastboot oem unlock" command WIPES THE PHONE back to factory state (but with an unlocked bootloader afterward).

So all apps/data/photos/contacts/SMSs/music vanish.

#365689 - 03/01/2016 14:42 Re: Moving to Android [Re: mlord]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Virtualbox can handle passing through USB on Windows (and other platforms). But it can be a real pain to get working. Except when it just works first time, unexpectedly...

#365690 - 03/01/2016 14:48 Re: Moving to Android [Re: mlord]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

I think it might be better standalone, mainly because USB device access is required, and I'm not sure how/if virtualbox might handle that.

But do remember, the "fastboot oem unlock" command WIPES THE PHONE back to factory state (but with an unlocked bootloader afterward).

So all apps/data/photos/contacts/SMSs/music vanish.

Thanks Mark! Also thanks for the warning about the phone getting wiped, but I'm not too worried about that. All my stuff like emails, photo's etc are stored in the cloud anyway. The rest is just a matter of re-installing the correct apps.

#365691 - 03/01/2016 14:48 Re: Moving to Android [Re: petteri]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Note that not all Android devices have a "fastboot" compatible bootloader. The Nexus and OnePlus devices do have one, but some others require strange/non-standard tools to access the bootloader commands.

#365692 - 03/01/2016 14:49 Re: Moving to Android [Re: andy]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: andy
Virtualbox can handle passing through USB on Windows (and other platforms). But it can be a real pain to get working. Except when it just works first time, unexpectedly...

Yeah, I agree. That's my experience with it too, actually. So yes, it's probably better to do it from a native box. Or a Live distro.

#365693 - 03/01/2016 17:12 Re: Moving to Android [Re: BartDG]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Thanks Mark! Also thanks for the warning about the phone getting wiped, but I'm not too worried about that. All my stuff like emails, photo's etc are stored in the cloud anyway. The rest is just a matter of re-installing the correct apps.

The logic here, is that if somebody steals your phone, they cannot gain access to your stuff without knowing your lock code. If the bootloader is already unlocked, they can. So unlocking the bootloader wipes the phone to protect your stuff. smile

With a bit of luck, if you have Google Sync enabled for everything, the phone will automatically reinstall most of your apps and settings when you set it up from scratch again. The home screens and widgets will not be arranged correctly though.

Cheers

#365694 - 03/01/2016 17:15 Re: Moving to Android [Re: petteri]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Nowhere above did I describe how to actually "root" the phone. That's all just unlocking the bootloader and installing TWRP.

Adding the "root" app (I highly recommend "SuperSU") is quite simple though. You'll have to download the .ZIP version of the app from the developer, rather than the Play Store (Android security won't allow it via normal Play Store). Then reboot into TWRP ("recovery") and "Install" the .ZIP from there. Done.

"Un-rooting" just means "uninstall the app (SuperSU)", best done from the in-app menu.

EDIT: By the way, I just checked here, and on my Linux box (Mint, but same for Ubuntu) the package required for fastboot can be installed thusly:

sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot

Same for adb:

sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb

Cheers

Edited by mlord (03/01/2016 17:21)

#365695 - 04/01/2016 06:53 Re: Moving to Android [Re: BartDG]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
The other part is about using GMail account A to check GMail accounts B and C through POP. Naturally, this will work, but probably isn't ideal.

I'm currently back to again just using the mail email account, containing the imports of the other accounts, and in that configuration, everything works peachy. Of course, now I don't have push email on the imported accounts anymore. As said, this is no biggie since I've worked like this for years on my iPhone, but I do think it's a shame that Android seems to mess up in this "mark as read" department when more than one Gmail account is set up on the same phone.

Ok, now that I'm clear on how you're configured, I can assure you that the problem your encountering has nothing to do with Android and entirely to do with the setup you've created. It'll work, but as you've seen you won't have push email with your current setup, the same as when you were on iOS.

The reason is simple: when account A fetches email from B and C and uses POP to do it, there's absolutely no way to change the read status of an email on those secondary accounts. When you added those accounts to your phone, you were no longer checking the same email, but rather two copies of the same email on different accounts.

The way I see it, you have three choices:
  • Continue going as you're set up now, just like you were functioning when you had your iPhone, but understand that it's not an Android bug, it's a function of the way you've set things up.
  • Eliminate the POP checks on account A and start using the three accounts as three distinct accounts, and add B and C to your Android phone as "Google" accounts like I mentioned above, not IMAP or POP. I have a tip about how to handle this on your PC below.
  • Switch from fetch to forward. Wipe out the POP3 account checks on account A like in the first option, and go into accounts B and C and tell them to forward all mail to account A. This should immediately send incoming email to account A and not give you that delay you get with POP3 checking, which can only check so often. [side note: GMail tries to figure out the right POP account check frequency by analyzing how often you receive emails on those accounts - there's no real way for you to increase this]

Quote:
If I were in your situation, I would log into all three accounts in my browser separately and then switch between them in one tab, or open one tab for each inbox. That would keep the accounts separate.

Well, this exactly is the crux that got me into thinking up this alternative way of checking more than one email account in ONE account : what you say seems logical, but it's impossible. It seems you can only have ONE email account open at the same time in one specific browser. You can circumvent this a bit by installing multiple browsers and opening up one account in Firefox, one in Chrome and one in IE eg, but at work I don't have the admin rights needed to install extra stuff.

It's not impossible, you just have to know the trick, and to not mind a couple extra clicks every morning when you open your browser. Here's how:

1- open account A in your browser.
2- click on your profile photo in the top-right corner of GMail.
3a- if you don't see your other accounts listed here, click "Add Account" and log into each of them.
3b- if you DO see your other accounts in here, Ctrl+click on them to open each one in a new tab (or right-click and choose to open in a new tab)

I just tried it and it works just fine for me.

#365696 - 04/01/2016 07:07 Re: Moving to Android [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Ok, now that I'm clear on how you're configured, I can assure you that the problem your encountering has nothing to do with Android and entirely to do with the setup you've created. It'll work, but as you've seen you won't have push email with your current setup, the same as when you were on iOS.

Yes, I know that. That is exactly the reason why I added account B and B as separate email accounts on my Android phone. So that I would have actually 3 accounts, each capable of delivering push mail.

It's in that setup that the "mark as read" feature doesn't work anymore. On ANY of the 3 accounts. So as said before, my problem doesn't have anything to do with my "alternative" setup of account A. Because when I only use account A, it works fine. The problem pops up when I also add accounts B and C.

I still think that's a bug, because when I would remove the import feature of account A, it would still basically be the same setup (A, B and C) and the problem would still be there. (I can't imagine it would not be anyway).

The reason is simple: when account A fetches email from B and C and uses POP to do it, there's absolutely no way to change the read status of an email on those secondary accounts. When you added those accounts to your phone, you were no longer checking the same email, but rather two copies of the same email on different accounts.

I know. But importing those emails does not "mark them as read". Actually reading them should, that's the whole problem. (because it does NOT mark them, in my webinterface or Thunderbird (only on the Android phone itself) after being read.
Besides, the problem also occurs on the inbox of my main account (account A), which isn't imported anywhere. There's absolutely no reason why reading a mail from that account on the phone should only mark it as read on the phone itself, but not in the webinterface.

It's not impossible, you just have to know the trick, and to not mind a couple extra clicks every morning when you open your browser. Here's how:

1- open account A in your browser.
2- click on your profile photo in the top-right corner of GMail.
3a- if you don't see your other accounts listed here, click "Add Account" and log into each of them.
3b- if you DO see your other accounts in here, Ctrl+click on them to open each one in a new tab (or right-click and choose to open in a new tab)

I just tried it and it works just fine for me.

WOW! That is so cool! THANKS A LOT FOR THIS ONE! smile smile
This instantly solves my problem! THANKS! smile

#365697 - 04/01/2016 07:16 Re: Moving to Android [Re: petteri]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I wasn't saying that importing the POP emails would mark them as read. I was saying that using POP at all does not communicate read status.

I'm still not convinced that when you had all three accounts set up, and checked the email in your sublables on account A, then went back to account A on your computer, the read status was not conveyed. That wouldn't happen. You're sure you weren't reading the email on account B, then seeing it still unread on your computer in account A? Because it doesn't matter how you add account B on your Android phone. There's no possible way for you to add it and make account A - on your phone or computer - reflect the read status.

Anyway, I'm glad I could help laugh

Edited by Dignan (04/01/2016 07:16)

#365698 - 04/01/2016 07:41 Re: Moving to Android [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Ah, yes, I can see how you would think that, but the problem was never when reading the (imported) emails in the subfolders of account A. I know those cannot communicate back to the server. No, I'm indeed absolutely sure it happened with the actual inboxes of all three accounts, A, B and C.

But your solution fixed my problem, albeit in a different way. Thanks again! smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2