Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36539 - 14/08/2001 17:24 Empeg Website
andygjones
journeyman

Does anyone think creating a good Empeg website is worth doing or a waste of time?

Its just ive noticed that although there are quite a few about various projects, there doesnt seem to be a well laid out one with the latest information.

I was thinking news with new software releases (including users own mod updates) etc. I know most people just read this board but it might be good so you could see quickly whats being updated etc. Also downloads, users installation pics, etc...

I have some decent webspace and would be able to do it in asp so it could all be dynamic - could be updated by some designated admins from a web front end.

What does everyone think?

RioCar 10GB RGB - can never decide

Edited by andygjones on 15/08/01 01:25 AM.

#36540 - 14/08/2001 18:36 Re: Empeg Website [Re: andygjones]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
As you already stated, this board does a pretty good job with the up-to-the-second news. There are a few other sites such as the developers site, geek site, and logo site that are useful too. A website that I would visit would be one that:
1) Brings everything together even better.
2) Includes downloads for every empeg software available including kernel patches, software utilities, and official releases. Of course for this to be useful there needs to be detailed descriptions for all software.

All of this is usually available on this board or links but it is so spread out it is difficult to find sometimes.

I may have missed out and there may be a site like this already but if there isn't I would definitely visit it.

Alex Lear

#36541 - 14/08/2001 20:48 Re: Empeg Website [Re: andygjones]
charcoalgray99
enthusiast

The board does a great job with news; however I'm sure there are some people that don't have time to read every post. Newcomers also miss out on older posts unless they search. I think an empeg/RioCar community oriented website is a good idea.

I would definitely like to see some of the existing web resources integrated instead of reinventing the wheel.

Some other ideas:
An install section with pictures and descriptions of different empeg installations.
How about using a web portal script like php-nuke

I will volunteer some design/layout help. I also have web space and would not mind purchasing a domain to get started.

Tom

#36542 - 14/08/2001 20:49 Re: Empeg Website [Re: alear]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Some of the ideas here I'd like to do off my site. I still want to get an install gallery going, along with a more complete software area. Once I get the work done, usually maintaince is very low (as proven by the logo site now. I've probably put an hour or so into actual maintaince in the past few months, but yet tons of logos have been added with just a click of my mouse). The bad thing right now is that my web talents were discovered at work, so I have been developing a rather intricate intranet site. (Eventually I'll finish it and yank all the confidential stuff out to put it up on my resume site).

A rundown of what I want on the site:
1. Install photos.
2. Maybe a more detailed user database.
3. Empeg mods and hacks. (Partially started with the precompiled kernels there)
4. Developer notes. (The developer site was a good start, but suffered web rot)

I know Sven has a site in the works right now, so I'll probably work on non programming related things on the site first. Personally I like to do web stuff. And hey, if I do enough, you good empeg programmers out there can churn out even more things. (Since my programming skills are rather limited).

(Ok, I've really gotten my mind attached to this. I plan to start work on some of the above after work on my laptop. If anyone sees me on ICQ, feel free to nicely prod me into my HTML/PHP editor)

Edited by Drakino on 15/08/01 06:57 AM.

#36543 - 14/08/2001 22:27 Re: Empeg Website [Re: charcoalgray99]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
In reply to:

I will volunteer some design/layout help. I also have web space and would not mind purchasing a domain to get started.

...speaking of which, I have the riocar.org domain that presently points to this board, but would be willing to direct it to just such an effort if it suits the community.

Let me know if there would be an interest in that.

Tim

#36544 - 15/08/2001 01:03 Re: Empeg Website [Re: drakino]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Nice iniative, guys!

Please don't leave out any of existing web resources (I think there are more then ten sites now - some users just mention them in passing or in sig so they are easy to miss).

Also, a semi-wild idea: how about including a WikiWiki area in the site, as a place where all users would be able to put and edit odd bits and pieces of info, random musings etc, if they wanted it to be in a slightly more structured form than on this BBS. I think that empeg enthusiasts are a group well suited for such cooperative authoring. WikiWiki (together with the BBS) would then serve as one of sources for 'permanent' part of the site.

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#36545 - 15/08/2001 01:49 Re: Empeg Website [Re: bonzi]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Yeah, I was going to suggest a wiki. Has anyone got one installed and handy? I'm in the middle of writing one in Ruby (for fun), but:

a) it's not quite production-quality code
b) it's on the other end of empeg's leased line, so bandwidth could be a problem.

If anyone does want to play with it, it's at http://www.differentpla.net/~roger/cgi-bin/wiki.rb. Don't put anything important on there -- although I'll try not to break it too badly, I'm not guaranteeing anything.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#36546 - 15/08/2001 04:01 Re: Empeg Website [Re: drakino]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

I know Sven has a site in the works right now, so I'll probably work on non programming related things on the site first. Personally I like to do web stuff. And hey, if I do enough, you good empeg programmers out there can churn out even more things. (Since my programming skills are rather limited).

As I don't have too much time to spend on my website, I would appreciate some help anyway, so may be we could split the contents of our websites from the site navigation (or even from the layout), then split the content among us (say one doing the files, one doing programming info, one the general user stuff (howtos etc.)). Finally, we could mirror each others contents (or link to eachothers pages).

I would prefer to do the programming info (such as file formats, API description etc.). This is what I concentrate on currently (actively researching) anyway, though I add any information I find interesting enough to add.
I don't have the skills (and time) to implement some dynamic, user administratable file area (so that 3rd party developers could keep their respective software entries up to date), nor do I have the time to do that manually, so I would really appreciate if someone else could do this.

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)

#36547 - 15/08/2001 04:54 Re: Empeg Website [Re: andygjones]
jaylward
stranger

Loc: UK
If you need a hand with coding let me know. I do it for a living but would like to do something interesting!

My skills are: HTML, DHTML, XML, Javascript, ASP, ColdFusion, SQL.

Just shout!

John Aylward
[email protected]

#36548 - 15/08/2001 06:03 Re: Empeg Website [Re: andygjones]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'm not sure if this was already mentioned, but I believe it has been said several times that the FAQ section isn't in the best format to be used by new folk to the board. I believe Tony's said this himself now and then.

Perhaps a nicely laid-out FAQ page would be useful?

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

#36549 - 15/08/2001 08:24 Re: Empeg Website [Re: smu]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Ok, I'll set out a basic todo list later tonight then for the site. If someone wants to do graphics, that would be helpful as I have a hard time with them. I'd like to keep a clean and basic look, much like the existing developer site, or the geek site.

If anyone wants to talk to me via IM, I can be reached at ICQ 1862710/61082372, AIM Drakino or MSN [email protected].

#36550 - 15/08/2001 11:20 Re: Empeg Website [Re: drakino]
smu
old hand

My ICQ number is 28730340

#36551 - 15/08/2001 15:24 Re: Empeg Website [Re: drakino]
andygjones
journeyman

Some nice ideas here. How about an empeg casualty room - Pictures of empeg's people have dropped, sat on while pissed or massacared while trying to add strobe lights and anti-colision pheasant detection systems to them. Could be a bit upsetting tho

I had started work on a site but only had a basic layout done. its at http://www24.brinkster.com/andygjones/main.asp

Dont think i have the time to run a complete site, but can help with graphics, asp code or anything else really.

#36552 - 15/08/2001 20:43 Re: Empeg Website [Re: andygjones]
charcoalgray99
enthusiast

I put together a layout using some design ideas from andygjones.

Check it out at http://www.427.org/riocar/. It is very basic, the menu needs some work. Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated.

Email me at [email protected] or AIM: charcoalgray99

Tom

#36553 - 15/08/2001 22:12 Re: Empeg Website [Re: charcoalgray99]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
Not much useful feedback, just wanted to say it's looking really good.

Alex Lear

#36554 - 16/08/2001 01:42 Re: Empeg Website [Re: charcoalgray99]
andygjones
journeyman

Yea lookin good! :) not much feedback needed. looks kewl.

#36555 - 16/08/2001 04:36 Re: Empeg Website [Re: charcoalgray99]
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK
Looks great.

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 64gig Red S/No.341 2xDell RioReceiver

#36556 - 16/08/2001 12:12 Re: Empeg Website [Re: alear]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
The FAQ seriously needs to be made in an HTML format. There is just TONS of great (and priceless) info, but no images within the page view and no categorization of topics.

32GB (JUST UPGRADED!) Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#36557 - 16/08/2001 12:30 Re: Empeg Website [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Looks great! Need a link to this BBS though. It would be a great way, a portal, for new users. Many non-techy people are going to start buying this RioCar, and we need something like this that will acclimate people before they dive into the BBS.

Awesome!

32GB (JUST UPGRADED!) Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#36558 - 16/08/2001 13:07 Re: Empeg Website [Re: charcoalgray99]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'll start working on a functioning prototype based off this layout later this week. I have the todo list down, and ideas of how to pull this off. Depending on how far I get, the site may be up fairly quickly. I even found a nice way of doing the install gallery.

(My weekend is Sat-Mon, so one of those days I plan on devoting to the site)

#36559 - 16/08/2001 23:03 Re: Empeg Website [Re: charcoalgray99]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Just gotta say, I dont think there is any better group of people than those on this board. Talk about a rallying point!

One person mentions they would like to develop a site and people around the world help with it at no cost (yet). And all in the aid of helping other people get the best out of their new toy.
Really great to see folks.

BTW I can do some image adjustment and layout stuff. Should we divvy up teams to work on different parts of the site?
Although people have been wanting to develop their own sites, is this something everyone can collaborate on? We would definately need a credits page.

Just thought of another heading. empeg meets! we need one section for planning and one section for reports and photos.

Murray 06000047
ust increasing my post count

#36560 - 17/08/2001 07:03 Re: Empeg Website [Re: muzza]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Let me just volunteer for anything you may need. I have average html skills. My expertise is more on the networking side, and I do have al the webspace you need _at home_. Baiscally I run my own server as a hobby, and I'll be happy to host the empeg unofficial homepage :) for free, obviously. Unfortunately it is just an ADSL line, wich would give a small 128K bandwidth downstream for the web surfers. Still, the server is always on, I take care of that personally and it is my personal interest to never ever send it down. If you guys think it's enough, just let me know. I'll be more than happy to host the empeg site. If you just want to test the (non-superb) speed, just go to www.ringnet.it . You'll be in my home. (Very welcome, by the way) :)
For further info just email me.

Taym
MK II BLUE/RED 12GB #923
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#36561 - 17/08/2001 07:29 Re: Empeg Website [Re: Taym]
smu
old hand

Hi.

I could host the website as well, unlimited storage (well, virtually: about 1 Gig max), 2Mbit/s bandwidth both ways. No cost.

cu,
sven

#36562 - 21/08/2001 08:26 Re: Empeg Website [Re: charcoalgray99]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I have part of your site adapted in the running version, and will probably tweak it more as time goes on. So far, the site is comming togther pretty well. I have some things I'd still like to tweak and change before opening it officially though.

One thing that would be appreciated is if someone could make a few "slashdot" like topic icons. Ones to indicate Mark 1, Mark 2, general empeg, programming, and other type of things would be nice.

Thanks

#36563 - 21/08/2001 09:51 Re: Empeg Website [Re: muzza]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Can somebody come up with a list of the different sections that will be needing attention, as well as a list of skills each section requires? That way, each person that wants to contribute can figure out which section matches their skills/interests most closely.

Somebody taking the lead and creating groups, and group leaders would be a really good start to getting such a collaborated effort. Good Lord, I sound like a manager...

#36564 - 21/08/2001 20:34 Re: Empeg Website [Re: drakino]
charcoalgray99
enthusiast

These are kind of lame, maybe we can use them until someone designs something nicer.

http://www.427.org/riocar/images/topics/

Tom

#36565 - 21/08/2001 20:42 Re: Empeg Website [Re: smu]
charcoalgray99
enthusiast

Can we decide where it will be hosted? I think sven’s offer sounds really nice.

Tom

#36566 - 21/08/2001 22:06 Re: Empeg Website [Re: charcoalgray99]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
charcoalgray99, Don't mind the Icons at all. I think they portray axactly what we need.
As for the other graphic controls, how about using the Mk2 buttons as shapes for navigation controls? Rob mentioned ages ago in the design phase of the Mk2 front panel, that they might use them in future empeg site designs. Any problems Rob/ Hugo?

Section Headings:
Operation Info
Assistance - FAQ lookup/helpdesk
User Database
Developer listings/Postings
+--Hardware
+--Software
Installation
+--car types info and tricks
+--photos
+--resources (crutchfield and such)
Meets
+--bookings
+--reports

A bit of a list, are we up to it?

Murray 06000047
Just increasing my post count

#36567 - 22/08/2001 00:25 Re: Empeg Website [Re: muzza]
charcoalgray99
enthusiast

Good ideas... I had some more ideas for the organization:

Headlines/News
+- News Archive
+- News Search

Projects/Mods/File Archive
+- Official Releases
+- Kernel Patches
+- Software
+- Hardware

Boot Logos
+- Browse
+- Manage Logos

User Database
+- Login
+- Browse Users
+- Messaging?

Galleries/Photos
+- Installations
+- Meets

Resources
+- FAQ lookup/helpdesk
+- Developer Documentation
+- Operation Info
+- Links

About riocar.org
+- Credits
+- Contact Information

Has anyone visited sounddomain.com? They have a lot of ideas we could "borrow" for the installation gallery.

Tom

#36568 - 22/08/2001 07:45 Re: Empeg Website [Re: charcoalgray99]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Hosting is not a problem, the site is already sitting on the same machine as the logo site waiting to be released. It's free bandwith, so no concerns there. And if I want more space, I just have to send a hard drive to the person who maintains the box

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >