Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#36779 - 19/08/2001 21:24 Clocks again
Ruffles

Loc: Seattle, WA
I know that clocks have been discussed before and I did a search and came up with lots of hits and many links, most of which no longer work. I'd like to know if anyone has a working clock that I can put on my empeg. I'm running the 1.03 developer image with the knobappend hack. I have little to no experience with linux so if you can be very precise with instructions on how to do it, I'd appreciate it. Also, from some of the other posts, it looks like this will be built into version 1.1 (now called 2.0) Is there any update or ETA on when we can expect the release?

Thanks for your help,
Steve

#36780 - 20/08/2001 09:40 Re: Clocks again [Re: Ruffles]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The last (very comprehensive) update posted here still holds true.

Rob

#36781 - 20/08/2001 12:54 Re: Clocks again [Re: Ruffles]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
2.0 Timeline Link

If you're not a Linux guy I wouldn't waste time on the clock hack. It's a good effort, and it's a good implementation of a user program using dual display buffers (which has some interesting programming implications) but..
1. It's not a "cinch" of an install. It requires creating an init script that runs the time daemon, compiling in changes to the kernel, etc. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it isn't an ideal first project for someone new to compiling kernels and setting up stuff on the Empeg.
2. It's not a perfect solution. When I installed it, the clock was getting overwritten by a lot of the visuals. I had to turn the Info setting to "none" and use an unobtrusive visual, or the clock would disappear from time to time. This may have changed in a newer release???
3. As mentioned in Rob's 2.0 post, we can plan on a 2.0 beta "at the end of September." That will have an "official" clock which shouldn't be subject to the same problems.

If you really want to do the clock hack, I think a step-by-step is included in the archive, though you have to get to the point where you can compile kernels first. No easy task...

-Tony
MkII #554