Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#36926 - 22/08/2001 04:09 Intelligent genre match
tigloo

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Hello,

when tweaking the playlist according to a certain genre, I'd like it not only to find _exact_ genre matches, but also related matches.

For example, house might also match drum&bass, which in turn could match techno, trance and ambient, etc.

It should be rather easy to implement a genre tree that contains each genre and its interrelations, along with a threashold while searching.

Could that be an option for a future release?

Till

#36927 - 22/08/2001 04:47 Re: Intelligent genre match [Re: tigloo]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Not for v2.0, unless the implementation turns out to be trivial. The list of features is effectively closed. It'll go on the list of things to consider for a later release, though.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#36928 - 22/08/2001 14:45 Music type descriptions? [Re: tigloo]
Captain_Chaos

Loc: Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Does anyone know of a good description of alle the different genres and subgenres of music that there are and their names?

The reason I ask is that I'm finding it very difficult to place each song in the correct category/-ies. Of course you would be correct in saying that it doesn't matter what I call them as long as I can find them and they're arranged according to my personal tastes, but nevertheless the perfectionist in me really wants to know how to decide, as far as possible, in what genre(s) a particular piece of music belongs...

#36929 - 22/08/2001 14:59 Re: Music type descriptions? [Re: Captain_Chaos]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think classification is a highly subjective and personal thing, and I don't think there's any standard. The empeg even uses a free-form text field for genere so that you can fill it in any way you want.

That said, All Music Guide seems to do a decent job of classifying and describing genres.

#36930 - 22/08/2001 16:14 Re: Music type descriptions? [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
We often have difficulty categorising stuff in the office. It doesn't help that the WinAmp genre list (the de facto standard) has a heavy US slant.

For example, "Southern Rock". Where I come from, that kind of stuff is made from sugar, and has letters running all the way through it .

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg