Repairs: Repairs | Addons: Eutronix | Cases

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#371978 - 16/05/2019 11:00 Re: Replacement SSD? [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: tfabris
looking closer on this CF card, I see that it really says "Writing Inode Tables" and then the numbers are flashing by. After a short wait, it said "done" and then said "Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information:" And then nothing after that for a while.

It will be very slow, depending on the CF Card. Just wait for it. Eventually it should say "Done!" on the serial port (and on the front panel display!) and then drop to a (bash) command prompt.

More expensive CF cards boasting very fast sustained WRITE speeds will be quicker there. Using the v6 builder will also be MUCH quicker than the other choices too.

Here (attached this time, rather than inline) is the actual/recommended v6 builder script. I should have posted this one earlier instead of v3. If you have a quick peek, you should be able to see exactly what it is doing at any point.

Attachments
builder_v6_init_script.txt (7 downloads)
Description: v6 builder /sbin/init script

Edited by mlord (16/05/2019 15:47)

#371979 - 16/05/2019 19:21 Re: Replacement SSD? [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Builder V6 seems to be much better! Thank you so much!

I was having trouble with builder V3 on the CompactFlash drive. It was doing the same problem as before, where when the builder was done there wasn't any "fids" or "var" folder. But now, with Builder V6, it looks like those folders are getting created and all looks well on the flash drive. Thanks!

I'm still having an issue that I think is non-builder-related, though.

I went forward with installing everything on the CompactFlash drive and in theory the unit seems to work as expected, though I haven't tried using Emplode on it yet. My intention is to copy all the files from the old drive to the new drive at the shell prompt, with both drives plugged in as master/slave.

I'm running into a problem when I'm trying to copy files from the prior drive to the new drive. I set the new drive as slave and the old drive as Master, and then try to set the drives read-write and copy the contents of "var" over. When trying to set read-write it tells me that it "can't find /drive1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab", and when I try to copy files, it says "read only file system".

Code:
empeg:/# rw
empeg:/# rwm
mount: can't find /drive1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
empeg:/# cp /drive0/var/* /drive1/var/
cp: cannot create regular file `/drive1/var/config.ini': Read-only file system
cp: cannot create regular file `/drive1/var/database': Read-only file system
cp: /drive0/var/empacman: omitting directory
cp: /drive0/var/emphatic: omitting directory
cp: /drive0/var/emptris: omitting directory
cp: /drive0/var/gpsapp: omitting directory
cp: /drive0/var/hdparm: omitting directory
cp: /drive0/var/launcher: omitting directory
cp: cannot create regular file `/drive1/var/playlists': Read-only file system
cp: /drive0/var/smartctl: omitting directory
cp: cannot create regular file `/drive1/var/tags': Read-only file system
cp: /drive0/var/taxi: omitting directory
cp: /drive0/var/viewer: omitting directory
empeg:/# ro
empeg:/# rom

Any ideas?

Attached is a full session log output including the FSTAB output, if that's helpful.

Thanks so much for all the help you're giving on this thread!

Attachments
Read Only File System.txt (3 downloads)

#371981 - 16/05/2019 19:53 Re: Replacement SSD? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh hey, it looks like I don't have the same problem if I swap the order: New disk is primary, old disk is slave.

Trying that now.

Edit: Yeah all the copies work if I boot the new drive (destination drive for the copies) as master and the old drive (source drive for the copies) as slave. No problems so far, all file copies are humming along nicely.

#371982 - 16/05/2019 21:47 Re: Replacement SSD? [Re: Roger]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Okay, good! That saves me from having to explain how it works in more detail than is usually necessary!

smile

#371986 - Yesterday at 10:29 Re: Replacement SSD? [Re: Roger]
mlord
carpal tunnel

How is the CF Card working for you now, Tony?

#371987 - Today at 01:01 Re: Replacement SSD? [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It's worked perfectly so far. I got these:

Adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036DDXUM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Card:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NUB2TWI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BigDisk Builder V6 worked fine, applying the player worked fine, applying the latest Hijack worked fine. I was able to copy all of the FIDs, all of the VAR folder, and the dynamic data partition, all over from the old drive to the new drive, from the empeg shell prompt. Everything works as expected so far, and I got no error messages during the copying process, as long as I had the master/slave order set so that the old drive was slave, and the new drive was master.

What I have not done yet: I have not tried a synch with emplode yet. I have a somewhat large set of tunes to add (several albums' worth), and I'll do that some time when I get a chance, and if that goes smoothly then I'll consider it done.

A couple notes about that CF adapter:
- It doesn't have a master/slave jumper. Instead, you plug the CF card into the adapter's Slave Slot or the adapter's Master Slot to switch it back and forth.
- I don't trust the CF card's ability to stay in the slot with the empeg riding in a bumpy car. It's only held in by the friction of the pins themselves, there's no clamp mechanism. So I put a piece of strong tape across the top to keep it parked in the slot.

Thanks so much for your help!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3