Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#373084 - 01/10/2020 09:45 Tuner Issues
johnjore
new poster

Hi all!

For a variety of reasons, I've dug my Mark 2 Empeg out of storage and installed it in a 20 year old Toyota Starlet.

MP3's play without issue, AUX input is connected to an external DAB (Australian MonkeyBoard) and works fine.

Problem is the Tuner. I can see the tuner, and I can search and change frequencies, but no signal / audio. I've tried 2x antennas, and they work with the old radio in the car, so pretty sure its a problem with the Tuner. All cables look ok, with good connections etc.

Any ideas?

John

#373085 - 01/10/2020 12:16 Re: Tuner Issues [Re: johnjore]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
If it's a "factory tuner" (little black box) then perhaps it has died. Quite a few of them just seem to stop working for no obvious reason, and we've never put enough effort into discovering exactly what in them fails -- it's something inside the protective RF metal "can" on the PCB. Probably an op-amp.

That may not be the issue in your case, or it may be.

Another common failure is the 90-degree antenna connector -- you can probably just pull it out (it plugs into the tuner) to inspect it.

#373086 - 02/10/2020 01:22 Re: Tuner Issues [Re: johnjore]
johnjore
new poster

Hi and yes, its the factory tuner.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try pulling the antenna connector apart, can't get much worse as its not working.

John