Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | Software | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs | Addons: Eutronix | Cases

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#373572 - 30/10/2021 17:51 Re: Heya, it's the new phone / computer thread [Re: DWallach]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I got my 2018 Subaru (Crosstrek) in late 2018, and by then the HU included Android Auto support.

#373573 - 01/11/2021 14:01 Re: Heya, it's the new phone / computer thread [Re: mlord]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I've investigated this. There seem to be two adapters:

https://carsifi.com/
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/

The second one seems to be the superior solution, but they're in production hell right now with respect to parts availability. The chip shortage is a problem for them, and they've apparently had to redesign their motherboard to allow them to use chips from multiple vendors.

Anyway, once the supply chain mess settles down, I'll almost certainly get one of these things for our VW GTI, which supports USB-based Android Auto.

#373574 - 01/11/2021 14:37 Re: Heya, it's the new phone / computer thread [Re: DWallach]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Yes, both products look pretty similar, but AAWireless has been harnessing the XDA userbase for the past year to help sort out compatibility issues and whatnot. I've gone with them as well.

Cheers

#373575 - 01/11/2021 23:02 Re: Heya, it's the new phone / computer thread [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There are also versions of that adapter which work for the other side of the technology fence: https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/20/carplay-to-wireless-carplay-adapter/

I'm unclear why such adapters are needed, or how they work. My car (Accord 2017) has wifi but, I am pretty sure I still need the USB cable to use Apple Car Play. Why doesn't it have that feature in its current existing WiFi? (Answering self: Because auto manufacturers are slow and they didn't add wireless CarPlay until 2021)

#373576 - 02/11/2021 00:22 Re: Heya, it's the new phone / computer thread [Re: DWallach]
mlord
carpal tunnel

I read somewhere, true or not, that Wireless Android Auto requires 5Ghz Wifi, and most earlier cars (mine included) have only 2.5Ghz, so they don't support it. The reason for 5Ghz had something to do with that being the only band where a mobile access point was permitted or something.

Could be misremembering, or could be total hogwash. smile

Note that one/both of those two after market adapters both claim to support it on 2.4Ghz as well as 5Ghz.

#373577 - 04/11/2021 18:02 Re: Heya, it's the new phone / computer thread [Re: DWallach]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Update on the Pixel 6 Pro:

Got it a few days ago, have it set up and running. My opinions are consistent with what I've seen from others:

- the cameras a great, but not extra especially better than before, at least under regular lighting conditions

- the new CPU is fast, and everything now runs happily at a higher framerate; it's noticeably less chunky than my previous phone (a Pixel 3a)

- it's heavy, like annoying to hold in your hand for a long time

- battery life is not especially great

- the in-screen fingerprint sensor is hot garbage; I want back the original one

- definitely cannot trickle charge off a computer's USB port; seems to charge from my car's Android Auto. Not entirely sure what's going on here.

- the whole process of setting up a new Android phone and syncing from an old one needs work. Some apps "just work". Others made me log in and redo everything. Notification settings needed to be redone from scratch (huge pain). Two apps got seriously crashy, apparently because they were in a state where they assumed they had security permissions that they didn't have. Maybe.

#373578 - 05/11/2021 03:05 Re: Heya, it's the new phone / computer thread [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: tfabris
There are also versions of that adapter which work for the other side of the technology fence: https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/20/carplay-to-wireless-carplay-adapter/

I'm unclear why such adapters are needed, or how they work. My car (Accord 2017) has wifi but, I am pretty sure I still need the USB cable to use Apple Car Play. Why doesn't it have that feature in its current existing WiFi? (Answering self: Because auto manufacturers are slow and they didn't add wireless CarPlay until 2021)

We bought a Kia Telluride this year and the salesman didn't realize that it didn't have wireless carplay because some Kia lines do and some don't. It actually drives me completely nuts because the wireless charging pad in the little compartment is exactly the width of my 12 Pro Max, so it fits like a glove...but I can't put it there. Instead I have to plug it in and leave it dangling in a cup holder or sticking out of that compartment. I've almost broken the charging port a couple times because I accidentally moved the shifter into it. It's terrible design.

I have several issues with carplay in general and how it gets married with the manufacturer's controls but that's another issue entirely.

#373579 - 06/11/2021 17:48 Re: Heya, it's the new phone / computer thread [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Sounds like one of those wireless carplay adapters would be just the ticket for you then. Though the article that I linked has a link to a discontinued model on Amazon, there are newer ones to be found. I'm thinking of giving one a try too.

Edited by tfabris (06/11/2021 18:00)

#373581 - 08/11/2021 04:16 Re: Heya, it's the new phone / computer thread [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I've thought about it, but I've heard they're less than great. I don't know, I'll give it a try. Apparently the phone also gets extremely hot when it's doing wireless carplay and wireless charging.

#373584 - 08/11/2021 17:39 Re: Heya, it's the new phone / computer thread [Re: DWallach]
mlord
carpal tunnel

I use a charging limit script on my Android phone to prevent it getting too warm, and also extending the battery life by keeping it below 85%.

#373588 - 09/11/2021 20:37 Re: Heya, it's the new phone / computer thread [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Played around with one of these today (CarLinkIt), and it's more or less working as expected. Kind of impressive: You connect via Bluetooth first, and it uses that connection to auto-set-up everything else, including the wifi connection to the adapter. After the final connection is made via wifi, it drops the bluetooth connection.

Though I have a couple of minor issues, I think the issues are due to my car's headunit firmware being a bit buggy, and not the adapter itself. To be certain, I will need to experiment with switching it between wired carplay and the adapter a few times.

#373592 - 13/11/2021 01:21 Re: Heya, it's the new phone / computer thread [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Played around with one of these today (CarLinkIt), and it's more or less working as expected. (...)
Though I have a couple of minor issues, I think the issues are due to my car's headunit firmware being a bit buggy, and not the adapter itself.

After taking it on a couple of longer drives, it revealed some new issues that were due to the adapter unit, so I can't recommend it. Sometimes it completely loses connection, but that's rare. The worse problem is when it maintains connection, but it doesn't update the screen, it just hangs. This isn't great when the item on the screen is a GPS route map, and you miss a turn because you thought you had a ways to go yet.

When the hang happens, I can tap back to my car headunit's "home screen" and select "CarPlay" again, and I see an updated/refreshed screen that's working fine again... for a brief minute, then it hangs/freezes again.

This doesn't occur when I connect with the lightning cable, it only happens with the CarLinkIt unit. So I think it's a hanging bug or protocol bug in the unit's firmware. It's supposed to be able to update its firmware, but every time I go to its web interface menu and press "check for updates", it says that the software is up to date. So we'll see if it ever gets updated. Until then, no bueno.

#373593 - 13/11/2021 01:55 Re: Heya, it's the new phone / computer thread [Re: DWallach]
mlord
carpal tunnel

I wonder how (or if?) they deal with a smartphone's propensity to turn off WiFi as part of battery power savings?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2