Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#39927 - 30/09/2001 14:14 Anyone install in a 2001 Mustang?
esb
new poster

Loc: Campbell, CA
I just replaced my1998 Ford Mustang GT convertible (w/ Mach 460 stereo) with a 2001 Ford Mustang GT convertible (also w/Mach 460 stereo). Wouldn't you know it that in 2001 Ford changed the way that the Mach 460 system works. The previous version used separate amps for everything and was easily connected to the 4v outputs of my Empeg mkII. The new one doesn't appear to be so simple (and nobody seems to know exactly how its wired). I've purchased two different sets of wiring harnesses and neither lets me do what I need. After some experimentation, it is starting to look like at least one of the amps (and possibly the crossover) is located in the head unit itself. Unfortunately I haven't been able to confirm it. I don't really want to have to go replace the amps (although if I must, then I may go all out and do everything - amps, speakers, wiring). Anybody have any answers or suggestions if I have to replace equipment?

#39928 - 30/09/2001 15:56 Re: Anyone install in a 2001 Mustang? [Re: esb]
BillB

Loc: Orlando, FL USA

There are adapters to use aftermarket stereos with the Mach 460 systems. Any decent Car Audio place (read: Not Best Buy or Circuit City, etc.) should have or be able to get what you need. I think Crutchfield has them also. Should run you 60-100 USD, depending on model.

Hope that helps.

Bill B.
Mk.2 SN 080000183 - 38 GB /
Green

#39929 - 02/10/2001 16:09 Re: Anyone install in a 2001 Mustang? [Re: BillB]
esb
new poster

I have adapters for both the pre-2001 models (used in my '98) and the 2001 model. Unfortunately one set of adapters (Scosche) didn't include a necessary connector and the other set (Crutchfield) doesn't seem to have all of the wires connected (nor does it seem to have the proper connections to the amps). I did some preliminary wiring according to what the wiring diagram shows and it appears that the connections indicated as going to the speakers (incorrectly labelled assuming outboard amps) are actually connected directly to the tweeters. This seems to indicate that at least the amp for the tweeters (and likely the crossovers) were located in the head unit. If true, in theory, I could add a passive crossover and connect the high pass outputs to a new amp connected to the tweeters and route the low pass line-level signal to the original amps to run the mids. However as soon as I start doing work on things, I'll probably just replace the whole lot.

#39930 - 02/10/2001 18:20 Re: Anyone install in a 2001 Mustang? [Re: esb]
BillB

It sounds to me like you just got the regular 'Premium Sound' harness. The item you need is actually a small device. Crutchfield doesn't seem to list them anymore, but part #55303PWR1 (search Crutchfield, and scroll to the bottom of the results page) is similar (but won't work in your case).

You basically need something that will allow you to adjust the level of the line outs on the empeg to the level that the Mach460 is expecting in (not to mention, getting the right wires).

Bill B.
Green

#39931 - 02/10/2001 18:36 Re: Anyone install in a 2001 Mustang? [Re: BillB]
esb
new poster

That would only work if I was dealing with speaker-level outputs from the Empeg. But unfortunately my problem is the opposite (and one which an amp and crossover would solve). The marked speaker-level outs on the main harness do seem to require speaker levels but only appear to feed the tweeters. If I connect the 4v line-level outputs of the Empeg to them, I only hear very low volumes from the tweeters (as would be expected if they were wired direct). The secondary wiring harness adapter is wired with only 4 wires (out of a possible 8) and marked with amp enable and ground and sub enable and ground (no subs in the car). However the harness in the car has all 8 pins connected. My guess is that it is for the 4 channel low-pass line-level signal to the two amps driving the 4 mids. And finally there is an extra wire coming into the main harness that is not connected on the adapter. I'm guessing that one is the real amp turn-on wire. One other data point is that the '00 and earlier Mustangs w/Mach 460 had an amp behind the dash under the head unit. My 2001 does not. If I can figure out exactly how everything is wired, I do have another option. If I don't mind giving up the front/rear fader, I could conceivably use the Empeg's EQ and create a low-pass setup for the rears and send those to the existing amp/mids. And then create a high-pass setup for the fronts to be routed through a new amp to the tweeters. That would only require one new amp (hopefully installable behind the dash) and would use all of the existing components.

#39932 - 03/10/2001 15:31 Re: Anyone install in a 2001 Mustang? [Re: esb]
BillB

I have the wiring diagrams for '96 (which should be close enough to help), but at the moment, I can't find them. I think they got packed. I'll hunt around and see if I can find it.

Bill B.
Green

#39933 - 03/10/2001 15:36 Re: Anyone install in a 2001 Mustang? [Re: BillB]
esb
new poster

Thanks, but I have the diagrams and a working setup for a '98 Mach 460 system. The problem is that they changed everything for 2001. The system now has a single integrated head unit instead of two separates and the wiring harnesses are completely different. Nobody seems to have a real handle on exactly how things are wired in the '01 (including the companies that sell the adapters).