Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#40936 - 09/10/2001 11:37 Linux info regarding MK2
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Loc: VA, USA
I just bought a empeg mark 2 from someone and very excited about it's arrival. Always wanted one of these since they first got intradused years ago.

Anyways, my question is for normal day to day usage and uploading of songs, playlists etc.. I don't feel that i'll need to know linux like the back of my hand. But for anything more then that, later down the road, upgrading software, doing addons, or anything of that sort will I have to actualy know a good bit about linux or just the basics? I mean I can get around on it but as for in depth stuff I'm lost, don't get me wrong I'm a computer nut, but still slowly learning linux (very slowly) If anyone could tell me what things I might wanna look into a little more about linux or learn before I actualy have to do it I'd apreciate it. Also if there is anything that I should know in regards to the empeg unit it's self? Although sitting here waiting for it I have read threw most ALL the FAQ's so I kinda know what to expect, yes I did read most all b/c that's how much I've wanted one of these and now actualy getting one.

Camped outside my mailbox waiting for a big package.

Future owner of a Mark 2, 20 gig =)

Blue MK2 20 Gig #090000956 4796 Songs Available at all times.

#40937 - 09/10/2001 12:06 Re: Linux info regarding MK2 [Re: CyberGlitch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Congratulations on your new toy!

To answer your question: You do not need to know a lick about Linux to use the player. There are also many modifications you can do (insert new kernels, for example) that don't require Linux knowledge.

The only time you need to know linux is to do actual software development for the player (such as compiling programs and installing software).

As you await the arrival of your player, please take the time to read through all of the entries in the FAQ section of this BBS, especially the ones about preparing your MP3 files and tags.

#40938 - 09/10/2001 12:25 Re: Linux info regarding MK2 [Re: tfabris]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Yea already read threw all the ones in regarding my mp3 ID3 tags. I was always a nut and did this as soon as I got more mp3's or ripped my own, I can't stand for mp3's to be incorrect, but I guess thats a good thing in the long run. Hopefully the empeg displaying the current way I format my mp3 id3 tags will work ok, only thing I'm iffy about is for song titles I do (song #) - (song name) I like to make it clear that I'm playing what song number inside winamp. Will find out when it gets here then, I can't even sleep knowing that it's on its way here and I've gotta wait for it.
Already have my wife ready to call me at work if it comes in so I can leave early and go play with it =)

Future owner of a Blue MK2 20GiG

#40939 - 09/10/2001 12:34 Re: Linux info regarding MK2 [Re: CyberGlitch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
only thing I'm iffy about is for song titles I do (song #) - (song name) I like to make it clear that I'm playing what song number inside winamp.

This will ruin the "search by title" feature, as the search text entries are typed from left to right.

If you need to strip this stuff out, MP3 Tag Studio should be able to do the trick for you.

#40940 - 09/10/2001 12:37 Re: Linux info regarding MK2 [Re: tfabris]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Yea, thats the program I've been using to do this. I guess I should go ahead and start to rip all the numbers out, I figured that would cause problems in the title search as all of them begin with a number.

Will give me something to do tonight to pass the time as I wait for the arrival of my spiffy empeg unit. God can't wait to get that installed and be the invy of all my computer geek friends >)

Future Blue MK2 20 GiG owner.

#40941 - 09/10/2001 18:41 Re: Linux info regarding MK2 [Re: CyberGlitch]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Track numbers become meaningless on the empeg. in fact you always enjoy your music more because of the variation. If you play your fave CD over and over, you start to anticipate the next track. The empeg lets you arrange the music in a much les structured manner and therfore enjoy the mystery of what the next track is. Small things I know, but you dont really appreciate it until you have it.

Murray
Go-Wit-Da-Fro

#40942 - 10/10/2001 11:05 Re: Linux info regarding MK2 [Re: muzza]
rmitz

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Actually, I still like to know what track number something was from--you know, useless trivia.

Fly me to the moon...