Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#42176 - 17/10/2001 19:52 Soup Stuff
synergy
enthusiast

It would be nice if there was a soup view of songs NOT in a player accessable playlist....

Or possibly a FORCE delete function. When you delete from a playlist now, it just goes to soup, and takes up space. Would be nice if you hit Shift delete (or whatever), it just removed the song.

I am pretty sure this came up in an earlier thread, but after playing with Emplode tonite, it would really help (at least) me out..

#42177 - 17/10/2001 20:14 Re: Soup Stuff [Re: synergy]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I second this one. Shift-delete would be a good addition.

-Tony
MkII #554

#42178 - 17/10/2001 20:38 Re: Soup Stuff [Re: synergy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It would be nice if there was a soup view of songs NOT in a player accessable playlist...

You can do this yourself by doing an advanced search on the term "refs=0".

#42179 - 17/10/2001 20:41 Re: Soup Stuff [Re: tfabris]
synergy
enthusiast

Thank you... Now I have to go pull the player from the car and work at it some more....

When will we ever be happy?

#42180 - 17/10/2001 23:49 Re: Soup Stuff [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

It would be nice if there was a soup view of songs NOT in a player accessable playlist...

Definitly keep the idea around though of an easy to view "Unattached Items" list. If emplode is going to go mainstream on any other products like what has been hinted at, ease of use needs to be a priority. To most average people, delete means delete. Having a few hoops to go through to figure out why there is missing free space is not a good thing.

Emplode definitly saw a huge improvement in 2.0. Keep the evolution going.

#42181 - 18/10/2001 04:04 Re: Soup Stuff [Re: drakino]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Users of other products will not already be in the car-style-playlist mindset. Playlists will be a secondary feature, and primarily they will be using the Soup interface to get to their music. There is a clear distinction between removing content and building playlists.

Rob

#42182 - 18/10/2001 10:33 Re: Soup Stuff [Re: rob]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I have to agree that this style of deletion just isn't intuitive for the average user. Delete is delete. You wouldn't delete something from your desktop in windows and expect it to still be in c:\Windows\desktop and just gone from the visual desktop. A dialogue box with options along the lines of "delete from player" and "delete only from playlist" would make more sense.

|| loren.cox ||

#42183 - 18/10/2001 10:37 Re: Soup Stuff [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You wouldn't delete something from your desktop in windows and expect it to still be in c:\Windows\desktop and just gone from the visual desktop.

You make a good point, but it's a bad analogy. I delete plenty of icons from the Windows desktop, but it never removes those programs from the computer.

I agree that the behavior should be that if you delete the song from the last playlist, it should give you the option to completely delete it from the player. The only thing that makes it difficult, UI wise, is if you delete several songs which are a mixture of refs=1 and refs>1.

#42184 - 18/10/2001 10:45 Re: Soup Stuff [Re: tfabris]
synergy
enthusiast

I agree that the behavior should be that if you delete the song from the last playlist, it should give you the option to completely delete it from the player. The only thing that makes it difficult, UI wise, is if you delete several songs which are a mixture of refs=1 and refs>1.

That's why you compromise, and have a force delete. If someone WANTS to KILL any reference to Britney Spears that ever existed on their player, Shift-Delete. The current work-arounds work, but are less than perfect.

Otherwise, that damn file might still be out there, and then your wife MIGHT feel justified to put it back in a playlist....

"And We Just Can't Have That"