Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#4222 - 07/04/2000 04:39 Visuals' reponses to musical instruments
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I have noticed that FunnelWeb seems to react best to Tenor Saxophone. And Hula Hoops seems to be sensitive to Hi-Hat and piano.

Anyone else notice which visuals respond best to a given instrument?

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#4223 - 07/04/2000 09:47 Re: Visuals' reponses to musical instruments [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Of course, you realize that the visuals are responding to frequencies, not instruments. The same instrument, played in a high register, will produce different results than the same instrument played in a low register.

My favorite responses are the "cloudy" ones at low sustained frequencies: Grampian, Hercynian, and Caledonian. Feed 'em Crystal Method's "Vegas" album. Low synthesizer bass or very low sustained bass guitar looks awesome on those.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#4224 - 09/04/2000 20:12 Re: Visuals' reponses to musical instruments [Re: tfabris]
rjlov

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
On a vaguely related note, there seems to be a bias towards bass notes for many of the visuals. When I'm listening to just trumpets (and upper register trombones) some of the visuals (the "cloudy" ones, and tripping prisoner in particular) exhibit no response at all. It just feels a bit weird when you've got loud, fast music playing and the visual remains completely blank. I expect the same thing would happen with chamber music for strings, but I don't listen to much of that.

Richard.

#4225 - 09/04/2000 20:55 Re: Visuals' reponses to musical instruments [Re: rjlov]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I was about to say that it's obvious that Toby at Prolux listens to a lot of techno and hip-hop.

Then I thought about it, and it seems that it would be harder to write an abstract vis which responds well to high frequencies but doesn't turn into complete noise on the limited display of the Empeg.

Anyone have any comments on that? Toby, are you lurking here?

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#4226 - 10/04/2000 13:21 Re: Visuals' reponses to musical instruments [Re: tfabris]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
I don't see why. I agree with your suspicion that Toby listens to a lot of techno. I posted a question a couple months back inquiring as to what music Toby uses to test the visuals -- with no response! I wanted to eyeball holes in his testing scenarios :-)

Calvin