Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#4311 - 08/06/1999 16:05 Large Keyboard For Searching Names...
CHiP
enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Is there anyone out there that can write a program so that we can use an IR mini keyboard. (similar to the webTV ones, but much smaller) I'm not sure where to get a keyboard like that, but I would imagine that it would make life easer when searching for songs when you have 3,000 to pick from. :)

Maybe something similar to:
http://www.connact.com/~eaw/minidisc/RM-D10P.gif

-CHiP

#4312 - 09/06/1999 04:42 Re: Large Keyboard For Searching Names... [Re: CHiP]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
The IR remote is handled by a kernel driver that also deals with the buttons on the front of the unit (since they are just pretend IR buttons).

The driver has a capture mode which will store the time periods between all transitions so that the protocols can be discovered and the driver modified to support the new remote control.

Adding support for new remote controls is fairly straightforward. The IR transitions are passed to two state machines at the moment (one for the unit's buttons and one for the bundled empeg remote) but there's no reason why others couldn't be added to support alternative remotes without removing existing ones.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)