Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#4471 - 15/08/1999 12:48 terminal settings
bobo

Hi,

what are the correct terminal settings to connect to the empeg ?
I got the developer-image and tries 8n1/several baud-rates...

bobo

#4472 - 17/08/1999 05:38 Re: terminal settings [Re: bobo]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
The empeg-car expects a vt100 terminal running at 115200 with no parity and no handshaking.

Since the player software runs the music transfer protocol over the serial port it is set to raw mode while the player is running - this means that line feeds are not expanded to carriage-return/line feed pairs. It also means that you can't use the keyboard interface to the player or use ctrl C to kill it.

I must admit that I haven't actually tried this but you should be able to get a shell prompt on the developer version by hitting ctrl C very quickly when the player starts (you should see Starting Xxxxx... appear on the serial port several times for different parts of the program).

We're hoping to find an alternative way of sharing the serial port on the developer version for a future beta-release that should make getting a shell prompt somewhat easier.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#4473 - 17/08/1999 06:25 Re: terminal settings [Re: mac]
bobo

I tried to cancel the program a few hundred times now ( :-) , but still got no shell promt ...
What about an imga that start only the shell ? - should not be a big problem !?

bobo

#4474 - 22/08/1999 22:32 Re: terminal settings / pump [Re: bobo]
chaya
new poster

I have beta5 developer loaded and can't break into shell either. :( The first message out:

If there is anyone present who wants to upgrade the flash, let them speak now,
or forever hold their peace...it seems not. Let fly the Penguins of Linux!

is unresponsive to ctrl-c, break, ctrl-z, ctrl-x, etc...

A ctrl-A breaks into the
"pump" service. What is pump?

-chaya

SN 59, Green Display

#4475 - 23/08/1999 01:43 Re: terminal settings / pump [Re: chaya]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Pump is the tool which prepares/upgrades the empeg's hard disk. It's what the upgrader talks too - pump is kept in a RAMdisk on flash rom. Best not to play with it, it's possible to do nasty things whic would require you to blank your unit & start again :)

Hugo

#4476 - 23/08/1999 13:16 Re: terminal settings [Re: mac]
philb
stranger

Also having no luck getting a shell on the empeg. Will this will be possible in beta6?
Any idea how long it will be until beta6 is out, I'm desperate to start coding my GPS extensions!

Phil.