Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#4488 - 26/08/1999 18:05 D.Net Client
nwcr
stranger

Anyone else installed the d.net client?

I'm somewhat clueless in *nix and I can't even find the 32mb RW partion and have no idea on how to add it to the startup scripts. :)

Keith Kemp

#4489 - 27/08/1999 07:40 Re: D.Net Client [Re: nwcr]
Sheetzam

Loc: Annandale, VA
Give me a couple weeks after I get mine, and I should be able to tell you.
Or hopefully someone will figure it before me, and save me the trouble.
Should be here soon!

Anthony Sheetz
q# 703

#4490 - 27/08/1999 09:01 Re: D.Net Client [Re: Sheetzam]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Well the first thing that you need to do is to track down a compiler, because there is no mke2fs on the unit, so before you can create the partition you are going to have to compile that first.

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...

#4491 - 27/08/1999 09:38 Re: D.Net Client [Re: andy]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
We can do this with an upgrade file actually, I should get round to posting one... probably won't happen until after the weekend though. Less hassle than downloading mke2fs.

Hugo

#4492 - 27/08/1999 09:56 Re: D.Net Client [Re: altman]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Though of course, anyone who can't track down a cross-compiler and compile and transfer mke2fs is probably not going to have a lot of use for the partition.

(perhaps it should be an initation test...)

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...

#4493 - 16/01/2000 18:36 Re: D.Net Client [Re: altman]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
All right, bring it on! I'm a keen D.Net user (albeit with limited resources) and the amount of time the empeg remains on amounts to a real improvement in my block count. However, I have a couple of questions about using the D.Net client on the empeg:

1) How do blocks get transferred in and out? Do we have to run the developer's image and telnet or PPP in, does this get handled by the correct version of Emplode, or what?

2) Power-offs. Since most of us just switch the unit off rather than powering down neatly (since that's effectively what happens anyway) any blocks being calculated would be lost. Do we now have to go through the main menu (which isn't really a pain, but habits die hard), is something kept in NVRAM, or do progress reports get written out when the disk is accessed again?

3) In another thread, someone mentioned that they were running out of memory, since the player took a fair whack of memory with its cache and so forth. If we start running the D.Net clients, are we going to have to turn our cache down a bit, or is there another way?

4) I'm pretty much assuming that you'll be running the standard D.Net compiled client, since they don't usually release the source code for recompiling (surprisingly enough :-). Is this going to work in with the rest of the schemes? This, AFAICS, causes some problems with the above items - i.e. the problems can't be fixed by re-writing the client.

Maybe we should form the empeg cracking team! Go, empeg!

Paul

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#4494 - 10/02/2000 13:27 Re: D.Net Client [Re: PaulWay]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I recently attempted to get the client running on the player with no luck. Executing the binary gave an error from bash about not being to run it. Trying to compile the source code resulted in a bigger mess. (Too many tools their configure program were looking for was missing). Besides, the source only allows to compile a program that has no buffer routines.

As far as buffers, I figure I'll just Zmodem the player a few hundred blocks and then sync them at a later time.

This brings up an interesting point with syncing. Down the road, can the syncing process be turned more into something like the PalmPilots use? A conduit system would be nice for developers wanting to hook a GPS to the unit, and having a conduit to sync maps, etc...

Reg 1640, 6gb Blue empeg-car mark 1. SN 00359

#4495 - 15/02/2000 00:54 Re: D.Net Client [Re: drakino]
danthep
enthusiast

Loc: new zealand
As i recall the empeg kernel only supports one binary format (ELF?) and the ARM/Linux client was quiet old and was a.out, hence the empeg can't play it. d.net have just released an up to date ARM/Linux client, and it's ELF. Perhaps you should give it anoher try with 2.8007.458

#4496 - 15/02/2000 03:57 Re: D.Net Client [Re: danthep]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Yep, I upgraded to the newer client and it worked. I will be rebuilding init here soon, so that I can run the client overnight on the unit while it sits plugged in next to my bed. I figure I'll run the client only when AC power is applied.

The Mark 2 will be nice as it can just talk to my pproxy directly, none of the rz,sz mess with buffers.

Reg 1640, 6gb Blue empeg-car mark 1. SN 00359

#4497 - 15/02/2000 23:02 Re: D.Net Client [Re: drakino]
danthep
enthusiast

Loc: new zealand
Cool, let us know how it goes.

What sort of benchmark does it get?
And how much ram does it use? doing OGR on Dual x86 the client is using 428K resident, hopefully that won't have much impact on the caching of the player

#4498 - 16/02/2000 02:17 Re: D.Net Client [Re: danthep]
Mark Petersen
journeyman

Loc: Denmark, Kbh Ø
Just remember to set the d.net at nice = "-20" aar#§#$%@*§*#§ I mean "19"

Mark
wait for mk III with a USB Host/slave
(USB->Ethernet)(USB->COM 1-8)(USB->You name it)