Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#4686 - 19/12/1999 18:14 Request for Test Data
xavyer

I'm currently working on a project for my empeg, and have hit a point where I need more test data. What I am after is a copy of the 'tags', 'database' and 'playlists' files from another empeg. Another person's perspective on playlists would be helpful in debugging my code. If you are interested in donating a copy of these files, please email me at xavyer at i.x#n.e.t.c.o.m#c.o.m (despamify, of course).

#4687 - 21/12/1999 04:23 Re: Request for Test Data [Re: xavyer]
stig
new poster

Loc: Cumbria, UK
Knowing that this project is might help :-)

#4688 - 21/12/1999 11:09 Re: Request for Test Data [Re: stig]
xavyer

Duh! ... <engage brain>
Well, I guess _I_ knew what I was talking about. :) What I've got here (so far)
is the start of a program to read the empeg player's database files to reconstruct the playlists in a linked list in memory. Ultimately, I'm going to need some help to take this project further; however, right now, with the state of empeg development being as it is, this is definitely a project trying to hit a moving target. I'm going to need help from someone who's done GUI development (preferably with gtk first, then kde later; if course this is all implying that
this is Yet Another Linux Project). Right now, I can correctly read my own player's playlists, and make some modifications to it. The next step, hopefully this evening, will be to write those changes out and put them into the empeg and see if it will accept the changes having been done 'offline'. <ramble mode off>
So the reason I'm looking for another set of the files 'tags', 'database' and 'playlists' is to do a 'sanity check' on my code, so that I can comfortably drive onward, and begin the process of getting a group together.

#4689 - 21/12/1999 15:24 Re: Request for Test Data [Re: xavyer]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Just one note: you do realise we're releasing source to our linux downloader tool (once we're happy about the protocol stability - we've been doing some tweaks and want to make sure that the version that escapes is stable!).

This has not only classes to deal with the structures involved, but also to talk to the empeg in the first place.

Hugo

#4690 - 22/12/1999 04:41 Re: Request for Test Data [Re: altman]
stig
new poster

Loc: Cumbria, UK
The main thing I'd like is to be able to download the playlist to a Palm or Psion in the car (via IrDA) and then be able to select which tunes to play from that.

#4691 - 22/12/1999 11:13 Re: Request for Test Data [Re: altman]
xavyer

Hmmm ... I don't recall reading that anywhere, but it's good to know that you will be releasing the source code to the linux version of the loader. However,
I did see where you would be releasing information/stubs for the API(s). For
what it's worth, the 8c version of 'emptool' has been 'cumbersome' to use. 'upload' has some undesired (I suspect) side effects ... but that's not the point here, the point of this thread is some alternate code to experiment with. It seems as though there would be no harm in having some extra code with which one could experiment. From my perspective, I'd like to make a stab at it, because there are several elements to this, which I think I could learn a lot from. Maintaining the database, setting up the communications, designing a GUI, and the inevitable 'purple gorilla problems'. I suspect that there are others who wouldn't mind going through the learning curve as well; actually making the decisions which affect the way a particular app behaves puts a different spin things. I'm sure you are aware of all these things, especially, since you've done most (all?) of the decision making regarding 'emptool', et. al.

#4692 - 22/12/1999 11:20 Re: Request for Test Data [Re: stig]
xavyer

I've got more than enough coded right now, that you could download the playlists, and dump them. This would be enough to get you started towards this
goal; though I wouldn't be able to help much, I don't have a Palm or a Psion :(