Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#47058 - 17/11/2001 17:04 RioCar Install
Fastrack

Loc: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Well after using my RioCar inside for about 2 weeks to get used to the controls. I spent the day today installing it in my Taurus Wagon. I had to move my Pioneer 9200R down one DIN slot and mounted the RioCar above it so I can take out the player while the car is in park.

Compared to the NEO35 the sound is AMAZING!, everything is better including the bass! No engine noise can be heard. It rocks. I also like the dimmer feature!

It's great! I might post some pictures in the future, I currently don't have a digital camera.

I also installed HiJack v62, it's great!

#47059 - 17/11/2001 18:01 Re: RioCar Install [Re: Fastrack]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I ordered a couple of weeks after you and ended up with serial 30102542. Now if they were actually numbered sequentially and they were going backwards through a specific lot, that's a pretty impressive sell-through for a few weeks. :)

If they drop the price again before they're completely sold out, I'll more than likely buy a second unit. What for I don't know yet, but just for the hell of it. Maybe just so I can say I have a backup in my sig. Which reminds me I still have to write one.

I have to rip out my Clarion and Neo wired remote to install the empeg. Unfortunately it won't be this weekend because I'm working on finishing up a project.

Bruno

#47060 - 18/11/2001 06:14 Re: RioCar Install [Re: hybrid8]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Ah, so I take it your problem with your HD cable is solved?

Bye!

#47061 - 18/11/2001 16:20 Re: RioCar Install [Re: BartDG]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Yes, my unit is working. Through the info from this board, plus Tony's FAQ as well as David Moss' email support I now have it working.

Like you said however, I was not able to see the connection on the motherboard unless I broke the seals. I have not done that yet. I only wiggled the tray and pushed a bit on the connector at the drive. David is sending me a new cable however, because the problem is probably that this one is bad. I roginally got it to spin the drive up by lifting the tray a little while I had the case open. So then I power off, wiggled and powered on. Perfect booting ever since.

I've only put on some downloaded test tracks that aren't as good as the ones I've ripped from my own collection. I haven't tried any type of organising yet nor advanced playlist and track properties. I will do some of that over the next week or two. While I only have 10GB installed I will probably keep this to a minimum.

Is there any way to back-up, off the empeg, the database entries? To make it easy to restore your structure if you accidentally wipe the drive. Or to make it possible to replace all the music on the unit and then go back to the old selections. I did see an comma-delimited text export feature, but I didn't notice any way to allow for importing such a file to use as the new databse definition.

I'm quite happy with the unit so far. I'll wait on upgrading to 2.0 till at least the next beta is uploaded however. And I'm already very interested in mlord's hijack as well as Display Server (forgive me but I can't remember the author's name right now - though I'm sure everyone else already knows who it is :)

Bruno

#47062 - 18/11/2001 18:16 Re: RioCar Install [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is there any way to back-up, off the empeg, the database entries?

FAQ.

#47063 - 18/11/2001 20:08 Re: RioCar Install [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I'm going to go look at the FAQ again. But I swear I didn't see it there last night. Then again, maybe I was getting just a bit too drowsy.

Since you're here... :) And also because I didn't see this next question in the FAQ either....

Is there a way (hopefully with the utmost convenience) to send non-startup logos to the empeg for inclusion in the STATIC visualization as well as the Tux Much? Having a few alternates in there would be convenient.

Bruno

#47064 - 19/11/2001 00:48 Re: RioCar Install [Re: hybrid8]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
To replace some of the images (TuxMuch and the small image in the top righthand corner, IIRC) on 1.x players there is the setvisual package.
I have no idea if it works on 2.x versions though. But it might, as it searches for the images... If it messes up your player, just reinstall the .upgrade file.

It's not as easy as using the Logo Editor - you need to get to the shell prompt on the player, rz up a couple of files to the player and run a command line tool to actually replace the image(s)

Here's the original thread.

/Michael

#47065 - 19/11/2001 05:23 Re: RioCar Install [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Wow! Your posts on these questions are really starting to shrink! Is there an autoresponder in there???

#47066 - 19/11/2001 15:01 Re: RioCar Install [Re: pgrzelak]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Tony is the autoresponder! He's also a robot.