Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#47105 - 19/11/2001 19:59 Re: Hijack v66: context sensitive IR translations [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The infocom interpreter would be pretty easy to port to the empeg. Problem is the input...

#47106 - 19/11/2001 20:05 Re: Hijack v68: better .L and macro behaviour [Re: mlord]
94cobra
enthusiast

I have to agree with taym on this one. I am using an Alpine remote. It works with long key presses when using v66, but any version after that won't work. So how ever you did it in v66 should be better I think.

taym- try v66 and see if they work there.

#47107 - 19/11/2001 20:06 Re: Hijack v68: better .L and macro behaviour [Re: Taym]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
If you want to first test the .L in a controlled, known-to-work fashion, then try remapping the nexttrack / prevtrack buttons from the Kenwood or Rio remotes (just for fun). Those buttons are KNOWN to support "long" presses in hardware/software.

As of v68, remapping does NOT work for the Empeg front-panel buttons. I'll reenable that maybe when I get back in a few weeks, if there's any real demand for it.

Cheers

#47108 - 19/11/2001 20:25 Re: Hijack v68: better .L and macro behaviour [Re: 94cobra]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Okay folks.. go into the v69 "Button Codes Display", press and hold the button in question for a few seconds, release it, and email me the last four codes on the screen, along with a description of what you saw happen.

The biggest difference for this in hijack, is that v66 used to track up/down status for each button independently; now it just tracks the most recent button, since the kernel IR driver appeared to also work that way.

Cheers
-ml

#47109 - 19/11/2001 20:51 Re: Hijack v68: better .L and macro behaviour [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Ah.. found it. There was another very subtle difference, which was also a bug.
Fixed, and now tested. Works for me, how about you guys?

v70 is out.

-ml

#47110 - 19/11/2001 21:09 Re: Hijack v68: better .L and macro behaviour [Re: mlord]
94cobra
enthusiast

For those not following the other thread. It works now.

#47111 - 19/11/2001 21:34 Re: Hijack v68: better .L and macro behaviour [Re: mlord]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Just for interest, what functions have people coded into the IR hacks?
What macros are people using and can we see them?

#47112 - 19/11/2001 22:46 Re: Hijack v68: better .L and macro behaviour [Re: muzza]
94cobra
enthusiast

Well, all I have done so far is to navigate the menu's. For instance if I want to play all of my rock and roll tunes, they are grouped that way in a play list. One button does it all for me. I have several buttons on my Alpine remote that are unused for anything on the Empeg so I remapped them to do that. With the Long key presses working you can add that functionality to almost any of the buttons though. The only problem is remember what does what what.

#47113 - 19/11/2001 23:44 Re: Hijack v68: better .L and macro behaviour [Re: muzza]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I have a Pioneer CD-SR77 which has eleven buttons. The button layout is here. With this IR trans masterpiece, I now have a ton of new functionality. Here are some things I'm doing in mine. Some are enhancements to existing buttons, some squeeze extra functionality out of the measly 11 buttons I have.

Shift lock key
My "ATT" button is my shift lock key which toggles the other buttons' state. Press-and-hold this key puts my Empeg in standby mode.

Menu navigation
I have two buttons mapped to "cancel" and "menu/OK" respectively. These along with the next/prev track buttons allow menu navigation.

The poor man's SRC button
I use mlord's example to have one of my buttons act as the one-button source switcher and AM/FM switcher in tuner mode. Since I don't use Aux, it skips over Aux. Also, when in the player, press-and-hold this button does the Rio remote "select mode" button (so I can change Append/Insert/Replace mode.)

Numbers
In shift-lock mode, all 10 buttons correspond to a number. This is something I had implemented with my own kernel hack over top of Frank's IR trans kernel, but it's a lot easier now.

Search macros
In shift-lock mode, press-and-hold certain numbers sends the "search" button several times. For instance, press-and-hold the button that corresponds to number 2 sends "search" 4 times, which will put you in the "search by artist" screen. The numbers correspond to the familiar 2=Artist, 5=Genre, 6=source layout. Some of these aren't working right now but I think that's due to the order I have them listed in the file.

Fine-tuning from the remote
In tuner mode, instead of having my "next" and "prev" buttons send the remote codes for next/prev, I have them actually sending the corresponding front-panel code. This is so that a press-and-hold of the button does fine-tuning of the frequency rather than simply advancing through the presets really fast. So tap next goes to next preset, press-and-hold next scans frequencies as if you had held down the right front panel button.

Volume speed up
I have my volume up and down mapped to a macro which actually sends the button up/down code five times consecutively. When I need finer volume adjustment, I also have the "press-and-hold" volume up and down mapped to a single vol up/down press (actually, to the knob-left and knob-right codes). This is all because the volume change speed is way too slow for me.

Normal functions
I have some buttons normal so that a "press and hold" is truly a press and hold of that button. FF/REW, Info, play, are a few of these. So if I hold down my "info" button I get track details.

Whew. I spent a little bit of time on it, but I squeezed everything I wanted in my steering wheel remote in there. The only thing I need right now is a beep when the shift lock is received. I might have to implement that one myself since Mark doesn't want to do beeps.

Anyway I'm attaching the ir_translate section of my config.ini. Feel free to borrow/steal.

Attachments
46034-codes.txt (163 downloads)

#47114 - 19/11/2001 23:47 Re: Hijack v68: better .L and macro behaviour [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Pretty impressive stuff!

For a stale-lover, that is.

#47115 - 20/11/2001 00:04 Re: Hijack v68: better .L and macro behaviour [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Don't get "fresh" with me, Fabris. You who can't eat your Oreos unless they're less than 3 days old. You have much to learn of the virtues of finely aged Oreos.

#47116 - 20/11/2001 04:50 Re: Hijack v66: context sensitive IR translations [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Games running the Infocom text-based adventure interpreter (damned if I can remember the name right now)

The virtual machine was known as the Z Machine. The term ZIP is also bandied about as standing for Z-Machine Interpreter Program. Whether that means the interpreter itself or the programs that run on them seems to be up in the air.

For more info (I'd like to be more into this than I have the time to be), check out the (unofficial) Infocom Homepage, Inform (if you want to write your own Z-Machine programs), and the Interactive Fiction Competition (if you want to play the best new games).

a simple driving game, like Pole Position

Not old enough to remember Night Driver, eh?

#47117 - 20/11/2001 05:38 Re: Hijack v66: context sensitive IR translations [Re: wfaulk]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Actually, there was already a port of that engine done to the Palm and some other platforms. I think it is (or was) called Frotz. I do not know if it is public domain or not, though...

#47118 - 20/11/2001 05:55 Re: Hijack v66: context sensitive IR translations [Re: pgrzelak]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Author of Pilot-Frotz homepage is here. Free, at least in the beer sense.

No mention of source for the game motor, but source for converting
ZIP packages to pdb is included.

/Michael

#47119 - 20/11/2001 06:21 Re: Hijack v66: context sensitive IR translations [Re: mtempsch]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Links to most, if not all, Z-Machine interpreters are here. Many of them are open source, including ZIP and Frotz. Considering that one of the design requirements of the Z-Machine was that it be able to run on very low memory machines (remember, this was 1979), it shouldn't be too hard to get one running.

#47120 - 20/11/2001 09:28 Re: Hijack v66: context sensitive IR translations [Re: tfabris]
Derek
addict

Loc: NRW, Germany
serial joystick?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2