Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4747 - 14/02/2000 21:22 Re: Your own logo [Re: bobo]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Well, here's the first draft of mine.... JeepBastard, you should appreciate this one. :)

Of course it also contains my phone number, but it has been removed for obvious reasons. :)

Woo!

(O|||||O)

#4748 - 15/02/2000 09:03 Re: Your own logo [Re: ClemsonJeep]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
looks great! Cant wait to see it shrunk down

Empeg Kicks Ass
S/N 00203
http://www.iretro.com

#4749 - 15/02/2000 09:09 Re: Your own logo [Re: JeepBastard]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

If you want the 128x32 version, just let me know. :)

(O|||||O)

#4750 - 15/02/2000 09:48 Re: Your own logo (HELP!!!!!) [Re: ClemsonJeep]
duranike
journeyman

Since im retarted, and dont know kaka about linux or programming, im having a slight problem getting my cutom logo to work. I have hyperterminal, and i propperly accessed the shell of empeg, but then after that nothing works. I try to follow the directions but still no luck. Can someone kindly give me a simplified and brokendown way to upload the cutsom kernal to the empeg? Thanks ahead of time.
-Jordan

#4751 - 15/02/2000 09:54 Re: Your own logo (HELP!!!!!) [Re: duranike]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You must use the kernel uploader program. If you had Bobo compile your kernel for you (he offers to do it on his page), the file he sent you should contain the Win32 version of the program and exact step-by-step instructions on what to do.

(To be even more clear: The instructions on Bobo's page assume that you have Linux installed on your PC and that you know how to compile programs under Linux. If you're trying to follow Bobo's instructions at the Empeg shell prompt in a terminal program, you're barking up the wrong tree...)

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#4752 - 15/02/2000 13:09 Re: Your own logo (HELP!!!!!) [Re: duranike]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

In order to compile the kernel for the empeg, you're going to need access to ANOTHER linux box (NOT the empeg). This is where you install all the tools you need to compile the kernel for the empeg (cross compiler for arm processors, the kernel source code, and so on).

I can also offer the service. If you have a 128x32 picture you want compiled into a kernel, I can do this for you. Just send me the pic and I'll do it for you.

I'm also porting the kernel uploader code into a Windows application so that you can specify different COM ports and so on in a nice pretty interface. Should be done when I can find some more time to dedicate to it.

(O|||||O)

#4753 - 15/02/2000 18:14 Re: Your own logo (HELP!!!!!) [Re: tfabris]
duranike
journeyman

So what do i need to get linux on my pc, then how do i compile a program to upload my kernal. I already have the kernal made ny bobo

#4754 - 15/02/2000 19:19 Re: Your own logo (HELP!!!!!) [Re: duranike]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So what do i need to get linux on my pc, then how do i compile a program to upload my kernal. I already have the kernal made ny bobo

Oh my goodness, we're at this level of instruction. Ah, now I see where you're coming from. I'm pretty sure Bobo sent you the downloader, so it appears as though you just haven't found it yet. Just to be perfectly clear, I'm going to rewind all the way to the beginning... forgive me if I sound patronizing here...

Okay, the file that Bobo sent you was probably called "Your_Empeg_Kernel.Zip". This is what's called a ZIP archive, and you need a piece of extractor software to unzip it. You can get Winzip from www.winzip.com for that.

Before you begin, make sure your Empeg is running Beta 9b or 9c by looking at its "about" menu.

Create a folder on your C: hard disk called "temp". Using Winzip, extract the .zip file that Bobo sent you into that folder (C:\temp). Now there should be three files in that folder:

download.exe
zimage
readme

(Note: If DOWNLOAD.EXE is not included in the zip file, snag it from Bobo's web site... it's the link that points to the "Your_Empeg_Kernel.zip".)

Plug your Empeg into the serial port, Com1:. Unplug its power cord so that it's completely off.

Go to the Start menu and select "Run". In the box, type the word COMMAND and press the Enter key. You should get a DOS prompt.

At the DOS prompt, type C: and press the Enter key. Type CD\TEMP and press the enter key.

The prompt should say C:\TEMP now.

Type DOWNLOAD ZIMAGE 10000 and press the Enter key. It will prompt you to supply power to the Empeg. Do this without unplugging the serial cable.

Wait for it to upload your program to the Empeg. If it's successful, you can reboot your Empeg and see it.

Enjoy!

#4755 - 16/02/2000 16:53 Re: Your own logo (HELP!!!!!) [Re: tfabris]
duranike
journeyman

Great, thanks! I got it to work! Since you can explain things so easily to idiots like me. Would you mind explaining now how to make my own kernal on win 98? Thanks
-Jordan

#4756 - 16/02/2000 17:16 Re: Your own logo (HELP!!!!!) [Re: duranike]
corby
journeyman

No problem. Take your Linux kernel, add 29.5 million lines of code that provide questionable services, and that roughly approximate the functionality of every revenue-generating software product on the market, and compile.

Corby
SN#320, 6-Gig Blue

#4757 - 16/02/2000 17:19 Re: Your own logo (HELP!!!!!) [Re: corby]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
heh,

I think he said compile on Win 98. Not how do you compile linux into win 98. :) ha. I suspect it is possible to cross compile from win 98.

Calvin

#4758 - 16/02/2000 17:42 Re: Your own logo (HELP!!!!!) [Re: duranike]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Would you mind explaining now how to make my own kernal on win 98?

Currently, as far as I know, compiling the kernel requires Linux. I don't recommend that you try to install Linux, since that's a whole can of worms all by itself. (Not that Windows isn't a can of worms, it's just... aw, nevermind.)

Someone else on this thread said that it would be theoretically possible to have a cross-compiler that ran under Windows, but I don't know if one exists at the current time.

#4759 - 16/02/2000 23:16 Re: Your own logo (HELP!!!!!) [Re: eternalsun]
duranike
journeyman

Thanks calvin. Well then can someone make my kernal for me? If yes, just leave your e-mail. Thanks
-Jordan

#4760 - 17/02/2000 01:09 Re: Your own logo (HELP!!!!!) [Re: duranike]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
I only deal with theories :). If I could, I would do it for you... but I don't even know where to start on something like that.

Calvin

#4761 - 17/02/2000 17:23 Re: Your own logo (HELP!!!!!) [Re: duranike]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
I'll compile a kernel for you. Just send the pic you want to [email protected] and I'll email a kernel back.

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2