Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#47496 - 20/11/2001 17:37 My Tuner is Pretty Much Dead
AggieEmpeg
new poster

Loc: Texas
I wanted to listen to the radio earlier this week so I selected the Radio Source but was shocked to find that it wasn't working anymore. It used to sound just fine, now it sounds like a really weak signal (all five bars are present though). I tried turning up the volume only to have a really loud weak signal with lots of static. I check all my connections (antenna - in all places, and power plugs, etc) but nothing seems to help? Help?!?

It looks like I may need to get it replaced but I wanted to post here first in case this has happened to anyone else.

Thanks

#47497 - 20/11/2001 17:59 Re: My Tuner is Pretty Much Dead [Re: AggieEmpeg]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Have you checked to make sure the cabling is correct? In other words, none of the pins have pulled out of the connectors anywhere (sled, extension, etc.)

Also have you looked at the FAQ entry on this topic?

Also did you by any chance apply a Mk1 upgrade file to your Mk2?

It kinda sounds like the antenna amplifier in your car suddenly quit working, or the antenna plug became broken or frayed internally.

Also there is a known bug in 2.0b3 where sometimes the tuner doesn't properly activate the power antenna wire. See if different combinations of booting, sleeping, etc will wake it up and make the power antenna wire come on.

#47498 - 20/11/2001 18:27 Re: My Tuner is Pretty Much Dead [Re: tfabris]
synergy
enthusiast

It kinda sounds like the antenna amplifier in your car suddenly quit working, or the antenna plug became broken or frayed internally.

Also there is a known bug in 2.0b3 where sometimes the tuner doesn't properly activate the power antenna wire. See if different combinations of booting, sleeping, etc will wake it up and make the power antenna wire come on.

Yeah, but he says he is getting 5 bars of strength, and it used to work fine. Everytime that the power antenna has not worked for me, the signal indicator reflects the lesser signal.

So his pigtail should be wired correctly (although I guess a wire in it could have come loose, but that doesn't really jive with full signal strength.)

#47499 - 20/11/2001 23:27 Re: My Tuner is Pretty Much Dead [Re: tfabris]
AggieEmpeg
new poster

I have not checked to see if any pins have come loose. I will check tomorrow. The thing is, when I turned the volume way up, I could hear some faint signal (along with lots of loud static and other noise). Wouldn't this indicate that all is properly connected, just a bad boosting signal?

#47500 - 21/11/2001 10:27 Re: My Tuner is Pretty Much Dead [Re: AggieEmpeg]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

A faint signal can mean a lot of things, one of which is loose or miswired connections. Also it could mean lack of antenna boost (if you car requires it). Check everything carefully.

#47501 - 21/11/2001 11:40 Re: My Tuner is Pretty Much Dead [Re: tfabris]
AggieEmpeg
new poster

Ok. I will check the connection pins today. My antenna has no power amp that I know of... just a regular flimsy antenna that stays up all the time with a normal GM antenna plug. I will post what I find out here.

Thanks

#47502 - 21/11/2001 11:47 Re: My Tuner is Pretty Much Dead [Re: AggieEmpeg]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

While you are checking the pins, make sure the extension cable is wired correctly, or try plugging it in without the extension cable, as stated in the FAQ.

#47503 - 21/11/2001 13:50 Re: My Tuner is Pretty Much Dead [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Yes, the full signal strength but bad audio sounds a lot like n6mod's issue...

Hugo

#47504 - 21/11/2001 13:54 Re: My Tuner is Pretty Much Dead [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Right, I agree. But he said it worked fine before, and that's what confuses me.