Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#50668 - 19/12/2001 19:51 Death of my HD
duranike
journeyman

Hi. Strangely, my empeg will not come on the screen. something sounds loose in the empeg. the harddrive doesnt even spin or whatever it does.
im trying to connect to hyperterminal i guees to see if will access anything. what can i do. i really am way out of my league and i need
help really bad becuase im going on a road trip tomorrow. how can i fix my baby? i have an mark 1 12gb. i have empeg 2.00 beta 3 but the play
has been acting up a lot with that. it wont even show my old playlists yet the songs are still shown and the special code for playlist still
work for the old ones. ahh!! please help thanks

#50669 - 19/12/2001 19:56 Re: Death of my HD [Re: duranike]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The rattling noise is normal. Laptop hard disks just make that noise. Also, if you have a single-drive Mk2 or Rio player, one end of the hard disk cable is loose anyway. This doesn't indicate a problem. I think I'll create a FAQ entry for that...

The boot-up freeze is most likely a loose hard disk connector or a bad cable. See the FAQ entry here.

#50670 - 19/12/2001 20:10 Re: Death of my HD [Re: tfabris]
duranike
journeyman

i have already taken off the top and checked to see if the cords are connected. they are. the hd makes no noise at all. its silent and still. nothing comes up at all. only that little corner led. in hyperterminal it just loops the checking and the 'flying penguins' but nothing pops up. so could, (please!!!!!) the cable just gone bad? if so can i go to like best buy and buy a replacement? or is it more complicated? what cord EXACTLY do i need? thanks to all!

#50671 - 20/12/2001 05:09 Re: Death of my HD [Re: duranike]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Try reapplying an upgrade (as I said in email just now); if it is looping at the penguins bit and there is no display, something is up in the flash. The HDDs will not spin up until the e000 code runs, which lets them out of reset.

Hugo