Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#495 - 08/09/1999 23:39 Estimated needed time before shipping mine?
Bozo
new poster

You know what I'd like?
(maybe I should moderate the sentence above into: "everybody would like")...:-)
A page that lets me know when mine will be shipped.......
A page that contains "shipping plans".

It would be nice to know when I could expect to pay ($1099 is a huge amount, you know, well for me.....:-)

My number is > 10400 (don't laugh)

#496 - 09/09/1999 06:39 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: Bozo]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
There is no accurate shipping plan, simply because there are 10,000 people ahead of you who may, or may not, order. Maybe they'll defer their order until later, who knows.

This makes it impossible for us to give an accurate date for a given registration number. The number that we are currently shipping means nothing, as production is batched up - we could potentially ship 2000 players one week, and then nothing for a month.

I realise that you very much want to know when you will receive your players, however this is the downside of the registration queue. On the upside, everyone will get their player fairly depending upon when they first registered their interest, and you don't have the worry of handing over your credit card details months before your goods are ready.

General shipping updates will be included in each newsletter (which you will receive if you are registered) so keep an eye on them.

Don't forget that our Customer Services Team are there to help, and are always open to bribes (just kidding!)

Rob

#497 - 09/09/1999 11:02 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: rob]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico

Rob --

We know you can't tell us that "...your unit is scheduled to be shipped on December 17th at 11:42 am and 22 seconds, and will reach your home in Corncob Junction, Kansas approximately 3 days, 6 hours, and 11 minutes later...".

But you really could tell us once a week (even once a day if you were feeling generous) that "...the highest queue number contacted to date is: #### ".

This would satisfy the curiosity of nearly everyone, and even if the information were essentially meaningless (based on your message above) as far as determining the actual shipping/arrival date, we would know that things are really happening and could get a feel for the pacing of them.

C'mon, Rob - it would take you no more than 30 seconds a week to do this. Assuming you're working "only" 50 hours a week, that comes to less than seventeen thousandths of one percent of your working time. I'm sure PaulH would be happy to start a section on the chat board just for this feature, and it would make a whole lot of people rreeeaaalllly happy.

D'ya think?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#498 - 10/09/1999 05:15 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: tanstaafl.]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Hi

The information really would be meaningless, especially at the moment. A lot of people are defering their purchase until the software comes off Beta, so it's quite possible that we will reach as far through the queue as (off the top of my head) position 4000 to ship the Beta batch.

That doesn't mean that person 4001 will get his unit as soon as the next batch is shipped - all of the deferals from the previous 4000 clients will ship first!

I know that you're now going to ask for the number of orders, deferals, cancellations and lost contacts. All I can say is, you wouldn't expect Sony or Diamond to supply that kind of information :-)

The newsletters will continue to provide shipping updates - there will be an important announcement in the next one, due out in a few days.

Rob

#499 - 10/09/1999 06:15 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: rob]
Cadders
new poster

Loc: Concept 2000, Farnborough
Important Annouoncements ehhh?
Now I like the sound of that :-)

Cadders,
Number 10163 in the queue. I fear I'll be in for a bit of a wait.

#500 - 10/09/1999 23:25 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: rob]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

"...I know that you're now going to ask for the number of orders, deferals, cancellations and lost contacts...."

No, Rob. Just the highest queue number you've contacted so far. As that contacted queue number gradually goes up, it gradually gets closer to MY queue number. And that gives me a hint, a rough approximation of what to expect.

Is that really so much to ask? I mean, if nothing else it gives me something to do while waiting for my empeg. Just knowing that the queue advanced 150 numbers (or whatever) from last week would be enough to add some excitement to my sorry little life, and I suspect there are a lot of other folks out there in the nether regions of the waiting queue who would feel the same way.

Please?

tanstaafl.

#501 - 11/09/1999 07:59 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: tanstaafl.]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
I agree. I feel this way too. Plus , then we know to get our money ready.
I am so excited! Maybe someone will sell one on Ebay or someething who bought it and doesn't want it. Like some executive that bought it and rides in limos. Hmm.. But then they wouldnt have enough time to put it on ebay. sigh

*waiting in the 10 thousands*

I trade it all for a EMPEG.
http://www.iretro.com

#502 - 11/09/1999 09:35 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: tanstaafl.]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
...at the risk of starting a "me too" thread, me too...:)
-mark

#503 - 12/09/1999 15:14 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
". . Just the highest queue number you've contacted so far. As that contacted queue number gradually goes up, it gradually gets closer to MY queue number. And that gives me a hint, a rough approximation of what to expect. . . "

My number (1851) came up last week. Empeg sent out the invitation to confirm my order late afternoon on Thursday (Oct 9, 1999). I confirmed the order the same evening and received confirmation tha the player was shipped Friday. Checked the tracking number tonight (Sunday) which revealed that the unit left Stansted airport that Friday night, and is in Holland now. I expect delivery Monday.

Once your number comes up, the process is really quick.

#504 - 13/09/1999 00:07 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: Bozo]
0sb0rne
stranger

As Rob says in his post, it wouldn't really be that meaningful for people... I think releasing the numbers would provide no benefit, and if anything more hassle for the guys at Empeg (to use Rob's example of 4000, and 4001, I can see number 4001 complaining like anything when they haven't been contacted say 3 months after number 4000 got their beta and loved it...)

Just be patient :o)

- Given two theories.... pick the one that sounds funniest -

#505 - 13/09/1999 09:05 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: tanstaafl.]
gdurrett
new poster

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I put myself in the queue on November 5, 1998, at #1108. I went out and bought a cheesy $100 USD portable CD player with cassette deck attachment the next day and suffered with that until September 5, 1999, when my 6G blue arrived, with nary a peep out of me 'til I got the word that it was nearly ready.

How long have you been waiting???

Let these guys do their thing - it'll come before you know it! And when it does.... Oh Boy!

Greg Durrett
one of the top 1108 in the queue!!

Serial 00098 - Queue #1108
6G Blue
Serial 00098 - Queue #1108
6G Blue

#506 - 13/09/1999 15:19 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: gdurrett]
eoghain
new poster

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Great sentiment. I agree whole heartedly. I've been following the progress of this since before there was an Emped Ltd, just Hugo his miata and a pieced together linux box he called his mp3mobile. But trust me the wait was well worth it. I thought many times about building my own, but I could have never created a product and nice as this.

I'm sure that alot of the frustration comes from having this forum available for you to hear from those of us who have gotten one, and it just makes the waiting that much harder. But it is worth it, and since 2 beta releases of the software have come out since I got my unit, you know the Empeg guys are busy coding away. So try to relax, it's comming.

And if you have to be frustrated about something how about being frustrated with the size of the message entry box, which makes me scroll to see an entire line, even at full screen. Any way we can shrink this box by about 15 characters Paul?

Eoghain

#507 - 13/09/1999 23:06 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: Bozo]
tmora
new poster

Loc: Ca.
Ok, so here's what I'm thinking....this is going to have to be up to us. I'm number 10560 and I would like to have an idea of how quickly my turn is approaching. If my fellow Empeg owners and future owners would work together, we might be our best source of info. As you get your Empeg units, post that fact and what number you are here on the "board". Or if you happen to know someone that does not use this site. This will provide us with an idea of how close we are. What do you think?

Tim.

CHOW!

#508 - 14/09/1999 00:22 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: tmora]
Verement
journeyman

Loc: Boston, MA, US
Timing.

I am working on a site dedicated to the empeg, and it includes a way to register your empeg so that others can (1) find out about other empeg users in their area, and (2) see how close they are to receiving theirs.

It's very simple, but I encourage people to try it.

The site itself is only just beginning and is currently mainly targeted at developers, but I'll be expanding it readily and I welcome your suggestions and contributions.

The site URL is: http://www.empeg.mars.org/ -- hit the link for "registry" at the bottom.

Cheers!

#509 - 14/09/1999 19:54 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: eoghain]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Well, Eoghain, I can't get my empeg any faster (or apparently even find out how the shipments are going) but I CAN help you out with your display question.

Go to "Edit Profile" at the top of the page, and when you get there, go about 2/3 of the way down, and you'll find an area where you can set up your text entry box to your heart's content.

Hope this is what you were looking for...

tanstaafl.

#510 - 21/09/1999 04:15 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: rob]
Yonzie
journeyman

Loc: Denmark
I know that you're now going to ask for the number of orders, deferals, cancellations and lost contacts. All I can say is, you wouldn't expect Sony or Diamond
to supply that kind of information :-)

Well...I'm just wondering if Sony or Diamond would reveal how large their first batches are... Is that privileged information too or what?

Greetings

Yonzie

#00182, 10GB, Amber, Denmark, Peugeot 206, Rebuilding my stereo - great things to come

#511 - 21/09/1999 04:43 Re: Estimated needed time before shipping mine? [Re: Yonzie]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I'm sure Sony of Diamond wouldn't say how large their batches were either, to be honest! It is privileged information - it reveals sourcing issues, production cycles & that sort of thing: just what companies generally don't want other people in the market to know about.

Hugo

#512 - 03/10/1999 01:16 just to gloat [Re: Bozo]
Liufeng

Loc: Alaska
So I thought I would chime in here... I'm am number 2875 and I have recieved my unit.. which was serial 00173.. or something like that.. anyway, here in Alaska it is dividend time and all the radio shops are flooded with customers. So i don't want to wait and I'm doing the install myself.. ... wish me luck. By the way, if anyone in Anchorage, Alaska reads this thread and wants to give me a call to check out my Empem (probably the first in Alaska) just email me! I'd be glad to show it to you.

Reg #2845: Mark 1 #00173, Mark 2 #119, Mark 2a

#513 - 03/10/1999 01:46 Re: just to gloat [Re: Liufeng]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
Congratulations !!! You'll love the little machine. The Empeg guys seem to be working overtime on software: beta7 is alreasy a vast improvement on 6a and 6b, with more promises realised.

To help all the unfortunate folk who are still waiting, I recommend you tell the world and register your machine at http://www.empeg.mars.org/registry.php3.

Happy install / Happy Listening
Henno

#514 - 05/10/1999 18:42 Re: just to gloat [Re: Liufeng]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Tom --

I tried to e-mail you at [email protected] but the message came back as undeliverable. Drop me a note with your phone number to: [email protected]

Thanks...

tanstaafl.