Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#53246 - 01/01/2002 15:25 Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLEASE?
Chao

I ordered mine on the 27th, however it is most likely going to be cancelled due to there being none in stock. I would worship anyone who may be able to get me one around or a little more than the original price. (EBAY is not a realistic option :/) My car's stock head unit just died, so I found this out looking for a new one. I *NEVER* thought I would be able to afford this, so I'm hoping some kind soul will have an extra one to tinker with :)

My email addy is [email protected]

Thank you!

#53247 - 01/01/2002 15:30 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLEASE? [Re: Chao]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Come on guys think of the joy you had when you first got your empeg make someone happy

#53248 - 01/01/2002 15:42 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLEASE? [Re: thinfourth2]
Chao

Heh. Bless ya :)

I hope the rush wasn't just jerks buying them up to put on ebay...

#53249 - 01/01/2002 15:45 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLEASE? [Re: Chao]
papinist

Loc: Italy
I put me too in list for an empeg... If any gentle guys had ordered an extra unit, please contact me. I can pay an extra on the retail price (obviously!) and you will have my thankfulness for life :))

#53250 - 01/01/2002 16:20 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLEASE? [Re: Chao]
TommmyD
stranger

I ordered mine on the 28th. It's the 20gig version. I too doubt I will get it. The only good thing is it said in stock the day I bought it and the next day. Later on in the day on the 29th all of the units were sold out. Maybe it was representing the actual inventory.

#53251 - 01/01/2002 16:45 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLEASE? [Re: papinist]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Woohoo, let the bidding war commence!

Bruno

I don't feel guilty about having bought 3 units at the clearance price - since they were bought with the intention of passing the joy onto a couple of other people.

But the price of resale has to go up now, at least a bit. At least enough for me to sell my Neo for a decent price anyway. :) Hehe.

#53252 - 01/01/2002 18:37 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLEASE? [Re: hybrid8]
lchop
new poster

Hi, I'm new to this board and missed out on the deal at sonic blue. I have been searching for an mp3 solution for my car for the last month and I can't believed this deal slipped by me. If anyone purchased extra units and is looking to make a reasonable profit but still pass along a deal to a newbie empeg enthusiasts let me know. I can be reached at [email protected], thanks.

#53253 - 01/01/2002 21:36 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLEASE? [Re: Chao]
SkyHigH
journeyman

I got my order in on the 27th for a 30gig model. I am slightly worried that I won't get mine, but I find it hard to believe they won't honor the sale. Especially since my account was already charged for it. Just gotta keep in mind that they aren't shipping until the 3rd.

#53254 - 01/01/2002 23:26 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLEASE? [Re: SkyHigH]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Especially since my account was already charged for it.

Assuming your account was in fact charged (and not just "reserved", there's a difference), then I would guess it means you're really going to get one. I hope that's what it means anyway.

#53255 - 02/01/2002 07:52 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLEASE? [Re: hybrid8]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Looks like the going price for 10GB units on eBay is somwhere between $US 400 and 500...

The five sales after the price drop have been $US 450, 429, 450, 475 and 499.
3 of those sales ended with "Buy it now".

/Michael

#53256 - 02/01/2002 09:38 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLEASE? [Re: mtempsch]
gryning
new poster

That is sic.....I always aspired to buy one when i had the cash.....new baby etc u c.....and to know that there are ppl out there with hardware sat redundant is quite annoying....especially the profiteers......

So i too would like to plead with anyone with more than they need to contact me.....i am preparded to offer a reasonable price for it......but dont bother if you are just gonna try and rob me...:)
you know who you are!!!!!

c^

#53257 - 02/01/2002 10:13 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLEASE? [Re: gryning]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I dunno what you guys are calling reasonable here... The fact is the product is worth much more than the $199 SonicBlue was asking. I'd venture to say it's worth more than the $450 they seem to be going for on EBay. So anyone who's looking for someone to part with a Mk2 or Mk2a for $250 should realize that's probably not going to happen. If it does, then you're "robbing" the seller, not vice versa.

I don't know what you mean by "and to know that there are ppl out there with hardware sat redundant." Some people bought a 2nd Empeg as a backup. I'm one of them. Am I depriving someone of the ability to buy an Empeg? I guess so. Is that unfair? No, it's not. Everyone had their chances to buy them. If your only chance was the $199 price drop and you missed it, you are a victim of bad timing, and you're not alone.

Don't mistake me for a "profiteer." I paid $1599 for my Mk2 and $699 for my Mk2a and I'm not selling either at this point. But if I did sell one or the other, I would be insulted by anyone who offered $250 for it. The product was LIQUIDATED at a cost that was clearly below the market value. Indeed there are schmucks who bought a lot of them and want to just make a quick buck on EBay, but that's going to happen. If people are paying $450 for them, then that's what they're worth.

#53258 - 02/01/2002 10:30 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLEASE? [Re: tonyc]
rtundo
addict

Loc: Albany, NY
Tony,

Nicely put. As an owner of an EMPEG (which cost WELL OVER the liquidation price) I have to totally agree with you.

Bob

#53259 - 02/01/2002 11:05 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: Chao]
SkyHigH
journeyman

I know that when i ordered mine it said it was in stock. So i guess the question is, how reliable is this message?

#53260 - 02/01/2002 11:36 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: tonyc]
rjf
journeyman

Loc: Oregon
In reply to:

Indeed there are schmucks who bought a lot of them and want to just make a quick buck on EBay

That's ridiculous. Why is it okay for you to buy an extra, but not okay for someone to buy several and make money off them on ebay? If people don't want to buy them for $499 on ebay, they don't have to. I will tell you, if I didn't already have one, and I missed the SB selloff, I would have gladly paid $499 on ebay to get one.

It's all about the empeg man -- doesn't matter how people get them (short of stealing). At least the ebay people are making them available.
Cheers,
rjf&

#53261 - 02/01/2002 12:10 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: rjf]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Boy did you manage to completely miss the point of my post! You seem to be in "violent agreement" with what I said. Go back and read what I originally said. Slowly.

Yes I called the Ebay sellers schmucks.. Not because they're selling their Empegs, but because of the manner in which some were doing it. I saw blatant lies in some of the ads (which have since been corrected in the more recent ads.) I am fine with selling for a profit but not when you overvalue the product and post misleading information in the ads.

As a matter of fact, I have said several times (including in the post you replied to!) that the value of the Empeg will be determined by the market, and if someone pays a certain amount, it's worth that much. I even went so far as to say that I would expect to get more than $199 if I sold my own Empeg! What post were you reading?

How you managed to interpret my post as an attack against people auctioning their Empegs is beyond me. I was, in fact, criticizing the people who are bellyaching about not getting an Empeg at $199, and who are actually criticizing the people who are making money off of it. So I was actually DEFENDING peoples' rights to sell them.

Or, to put it more simply, if you aren't going to read my posts thoroughly, and are going to take me totally out of context, piss off, will ya?

#53262 - 02/01/2002 12:48 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: tonyc]
rjf
journeyman

Loc: Oregon
Okay. Well, my bad I guess. I saw you calling the ebay'ers schmucks, and with all the other 'bellyaching" going on, assumed you were making a general statement -- which technically you were, since you didn't qualify your statement.

Apologies,
rjf&
(and no, I am not one of the ones selling on ebay -- I didn't even buy a backup unit)

#53263 - 02/01/2002 14:47 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: rjf]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

I got a backup unit but it lasted about a day or two before it became the girlfriends unit/backup unit.

#53264 - 02/01/2002 16:01 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: thinfourth2]
CHiP
enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey, USA
HAA HAA! :-)

#53265 - 02/01/2002 17:50 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: CHiP]
jheathco
enthusiast

Loc: Mission Viejo, California
I can understand why the prices should be a little more than what the person bought them for when they were liquidated, but not THAT much more. If you are going to say the "seller" is being robbed if they sell them for $250, then actually that is false. It was SB that was robbed . The reseller isn't robbed if he's making more than what he payed for it.

#53266 - 02/01/2002 18:34 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: jheathco]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
The reseller isn't robbed if he's making more than what he payed for it.

Nonsense.

If the reseller is pressured into selling it for less than it is worth, then he is being robbed.

How much is it worth? It is worth however much a willing buyer will pay for it. It has nothing whatsoever to do with how much the seller paid for it in the first place. It is entirely a matter of supply and demand. Why not tell a stamp collector he is profiteering by selling a rare cover for $2500 when the post office sold it originally for six cents?

tanstaafl.

#53267 - 02/01/2002 18:59 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: jheathco]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I don't think it is fair to say that anyone was "robbed." It is just Capitalism* at work plain and simple. "What ever the market will bear..."

In reply to:

*Capitalism--the social system based on individual rights--says that one may obtain property from others in only one way: by their voluntary consent. By banning the initiation of physical force capitalism leaves only one way for men to deal with each other: through the peaceful means of persuasion, by appealing to another's self-interest. This form of dealing with others is the highest form of voluntary social cooperation, and is known as trade. Trade means the voluntary exchange of values between two parties, toward their own mutual benefit. Voluntary means that no force is initiated by either party; that both parties enter the trade of their own free-will, with no guns, no knives, or no fists pointed at their heads, hearts, or backs. Mutual benefit means that both parties enter the trade of their own free-will, since they think they both think they will be better off by trading then if they didn't.

(actually, the above is not in reply to but from Capitalism.org)

I guess I don't feel bad if people are willing to pay the $499 for the units regardless of what others paid for it.

Please don't get me wrong, I want to see the empeg community as large as possible. I'd much rather see as many people get a players in thier hands rather than having them horded by a few people (or worse yet sitting in SB warehouses). But I bear no ill will to anyone who is able to get even $1299 for their 10G players because we sure had to struggle to when I was with SB....

my $0.02,
Tim

#53268 - 02/01/2002 19:41 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: jheathco]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

It was SB that was robbed

Tanstaafl stole most of my thunder here , but come on... Sonic Blue was robbed?!? SonicBlue deserves nothing and they got nothing. They chose to at the very last second liquidate the player stock just to make ther 4Q2001 numbers look better. Their sales numbers were much more important than the actual profit they made on the rest of the players. That gap in value is being passed on to the Joe Ebay's of the world who are making 125% or more profit on a one week investment. That's free money that SonicBlue DIDN'T WANT. It was there for the taking. Some are choosing to keep their Empeg as a backup, some will undoubtedly choose to sell and take their chances with their original Empeg. Some are combining those strategies and bought several additional Empegs... But PLEASE don't lose sight of who the real jerks are in this situation, it's not the EBay profiteers, it's Sonic Blue.

#53269 - 02/01/2002 19:56 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: tonyc]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I don't know if you realise how many players were just sold, but the number of them showing up on eBay is statistically insignificant. Right now I'm having trouble finding a single one (I can see 5 completed sales in the last week or so).

The vast majority of players were sold to customers with registration numbers (either existing owners, or people who have been interested for years). I strongly suspect that the majority of the rest were sold to friends of existing owners.

Rob

#53270 - 02/01/2002 20:15 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: rob]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

I'm not sure if you're responding to just me or everyone who's in this thread, because I can't find anything where I said that there were hundreds or thousands of people on eBay making profit off them. I just said SonicBlue threw away a lot of money by discounting them as much as they did, and that difference in value (for all of the units, not just the Empeg ones) is an asset that got transferred to all those who bought them (including those who had reg #'s, those who bought them for friends, etc.)

#53271 - 02/01/2002 22:39 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: SkyHigH]
TommmyD
stranger

I think there's a good chance we'll get them (or I'm just being outrageously optimistic). If not, I have a decent backup plan (in dash screen that interfaces with a computer in the trunk, all controlled with a glidepoint touchpad and numeric keypad). I only payed $300 for the Empeg 20gig and if it comes, I'm going to go crazy selling this other crap off. It's only a couple hours away if I find out. I can't handle the suspense.

A little off topic here but has anyone tried that PalmEmpeg software? Is it worth getting a Palm just to use it in the car to control the Empeg?

Tom

#53272 - 03/01/2002 00:24 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLEASE? [Re: papinist]
caryjj
new poster

Loc: Corvallis, OR 97333
I have one listed here. If it gets sold, be sure to check in again later for a relist. Seems like this will go well internationally, so I'll ship as needed if you are willing to pay. Shameless Ebay profiteer.......well, not shameless.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1317582304

John 3:16, pretty simple huh?

#53273 - 03/01/2002 13:46 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: TommmyD]
TommmyD
stranger

I just got off the phone with SonicBlue. The guy said there were no more in the US store (where I bought mine). He said check tomorrow but it's probably not going to ship if it hasn't already. I ordered mine on the 30th. It still says product pending shipment. I fortunately have a somewhat decent backup plan. It's an indash 5 inch screen that interfaces with a computer in the trunk. Costs around $600 (double what I would have payed for a superior Empeg).

Tom

#53274 - 04/01/2002 13:58 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: TommmyD]
CurlyKicker

Loc: Orange County, CA
Hi all! I'm very excited about being a new owner of an Empeg! Though, I admit to being one of the lucky ones that recieved 2 units. I ordered a 10GB when it said it was out of stock and also ordered a 20GB when it said it was in stock and received both. I'm keeping the 10GB and selling the 20GB. Please email me with any resonable offer (fair market value). Thanks! I hope to spend lots of time here in the future.

Curly

#53275 - 04/01/2002 15:20 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLE [Re: CurlyKicker]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

sell the ten keep the twenty these things fill up faster than you would belive

#53276 - 04/01/2002 15:37 Re: Anyone who ordered an extra from sonicblue PLEASE? [Re: Chao]
Chao

Well, the only people who replied were ebay-ing them anyway. Not that I don't understand... but by the time I got home from work every time they were "bought now" :P

Hopefully I got one from the recent stock update, as the previous purchase isn't showing doodly-squat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >