Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#54812 - 04/01/2002 08:35 Possesed Empeg?
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
I've already e-mailed support about this one, and it's already going into the shop for another reason(dimmer circuit), but I wanted to share this with the rest of the people.

I had it in the car, and the controls locked up(both the front panel and remote), but it kept on playing(going to the next song and such), and when I shut down the car, it just kept on playing(did not go into suspend). Only when I pulled it out did it stop.(I'm glad that it did shut down then, or I'd have to wonder how they tapped into the Alien's wireless power transmissions, the ones Tony is picking up on his AM stations)

--Ben
(At least I've got a spare while this one goes into the shop...The one that is supposed to be going to my father)

#54813 - 04/01/2002 08:57 Re: Possesed Empeg? [Re: BAKup]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

I get exactly this randomly about once a week.

Does anyone know if this is a known bug? .

Has happened at b3 and b7.

#54814 - 04/01/2002 10:34 Re: Possesed Empeg? [Re: BAKup]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I had it in the car, and the controls locked up(both the front panel and remote), but it kept on playing(going to the next song and such), and when I shut down the car, it just kept on playing(did not go into suspend).

I have also had this exact thing happen in both B3 and B7, and as far as I know, it's on the internal bug list.

Sometimes it happens when Info:Transient is rising or descending on the screen, and the transient info line actually freezes half-way up or down. The visuals keep rendering, but the transient info has frozen and the controls are locked up solid.

I would be interested to know if you were running Mark Lord's Hijack kernel or if this was a stock 2.0b7 install. I'm not trying to blame Mark's kernel or anything, I'm just curious.

#54815 - 04/01/2002 10:40 Re: Possesed Empeg? [Re: tfabris]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

Mine is a Stock B7, without the Hijack ...

Maybe I should install it, to cure the problem

#54816 - 04/01/2002 10:46 Re: Possesed Empeg? [Re: LTJBukem]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
And mine is b7 with hijack. So hijack is neither the cause of nor the solution to this problem.

#54817 - 04/01/2002 11:13 Re: Possesed Empeg? [Re: tfabris]
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
2.0b7 With and without hijack, but I've got another player with b3 & b7(with&without hijack) and it hasn't locked up.

#54818 - 04/01/2002 17:56 Re: Possesed Empeg? [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I have also had this exact thing happen in both B3 and B7

I had a similar thing happen last night -- only time it ever happened, and today it's working normally.

I shut off the car, the empeg went into standby, the CD player folded up its motorized face -- and then all by itself the empeg came back on and continued playing -- except that the amplifiers were off so not very much noise came out. Pressing and holding the top panel button put it back into standby, but 5 seconds after releasing it, the empeg came back on.

Pulled it out of the dash, put it back in, and after 5 seconds it booted up and started playing, again without amplifier. Did this twice more, same effect. Fiddled with ignition key, turned ignition on and off, no change in behavior. Finally just pulled it out of the dash and left it.

This morning, everything works fine.

Curiouser and Curiouser, as Mr. Dodgson would say...

tanstaafl.

#54819 - 04/01/2002 21:20 Re: Possesed Empeg? [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I've had the controls (front and remote) lock up solid at home, but never in the car. So I don't know if I would have had the other power-up problems as well. It's only ever happened once. (2.0b7 without hijack or other mods)

When I pulled the AC power and plugged it back in, all was fine. I can't remember how long I continued to use the player after that though...

When this happened the player was a bit hotter than it normally gets. I had it sitting on top of a cd jewel case which isn't the best thing because it insulates the bottom too well.

Today when I pulled it out of my car it was much hotter than I had ever felt it. The top of the sled (which touches my Clarion as well) was hot enough that I couldn't keep my fingers on it for long. It cooled enough after a few seconds though. I had the heater cranked to full for a long time and I had also gone through an extremely hot car wash this morning (it heated up the interior of the car like an oven And still with all this heat and at least 1 hour of playing, it didn't have any problems.

Bruno

#54820 - 04/01/2002 21:51 Re: Possesed Empeg? [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Today when I pulled it out of my car it was much hotter than I had ever felt it. The top of the sled (which touches my Clarion as well) was hot enough that I couldn't keep my fingers on it for long.

I would recommend that you swap the stacking order of the player and the Clarion. The holes above the player should be kept reasonably clear for ventilation.

#54821 - 05/01/2002 10:25 Re: Possesed Empeg? [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Not practical to swap the stacking order. There's about 1/4" space between the top of the player and the under-side of the Clarion. However, above the Clarion are the environmental controls and heating duct - also very close to its top. This was something I debated and mulled over for a few days before I even did the installation.

I'm not using the Clarion's power-amp, so it doesn't generate much heat itself. What I'm thinking of doing is putting a high quality BB fan into the empeg. I've already run the drive cables under the tray in preparation for this.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure the ambient temperature of the car (increased dramatically because of the car wash) was in large part responsible for the temperature. I drove around today for well over an hour and the empeg's case was only slightly warmer than my body temperature when I removed it. I'll know all the fine details once I get back from California and bother to install Hijack.

Bruno

#54822 - 06/01/2002 12:23 Re: Possesed Empeg? [Re: BAKup]
booey

Mine starting to do the same exact thing.
Controls are locking up but it keeps playing, even when i
turn off the ignition.
I think it first started doing this after I uploaded a new custom Car logo. I'm not sayin thats it, but that when it started locking up. I'm also runnin 2.0 b7 and hijack..
Its really starting to get annoying though.
brian

#54823 - 06/01/2002 12:37 Re: Possesed Empeg? [Re: booey]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Controls are locking up but it keeps playing, even when i turn off the ignition.

This thing (this exact precise thing you just described in that sentence I quoted above) is a known bug in 2.0b3 and 2.0b7.

There is no word from the Empeg guys yet whether or not they've found the cause of the bug.

#54824 - 06/01/2002 12:41 Re: Possesed Empeg? [Re: tfabris]
booey

Ok, thanks a lot Tony. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next version.

brian