Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#55248 - 05/01/2002 07:36 Install Q's/Probs
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Loc: VA, USA
Ok recently got my wifes new empeg and was going to install it today thinking no problem shes got a farley new kenwood cd player and it should have audio inputs. Simple plug and play right? Welp just got done taking the cd player out and what do you know? No inputs, only input this thing has is for a kenwood cd-changer. Now my question is, is there anyways I'll be able to install this and hook it up to the current cd player so I won't need to install an amp? Like if anyone here knows if there is any adapters that would convert the kenwood cd-changer port so it'll accept something like the rca outputs of the empeg?

The cd-player is a Kenwood KDC-4007 and installed into a 93' Geo Storm.
Manual for the cdplayer is located HERE.
Man I was hoping I would get this installed while my wife was at class. Doesn't look like that'll happen now.
Blue MK2 20 Gig #090000956 4796 Songs Available at all times.

#55249 - 05/01/2002 07:50 Re: Install Q's/Probs [Re: CyberGlitch]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
There are two routes:
  • Kenwood KCA-S210A connects two CD-changers to head unit, but also has AUX RCA inputs. Perhaps there are other, cheaper ones. This is probably route I would go.
  • FR modulator like recently discussed Clarion FM200S that takes your empeg's output and modulates one of several FM frequencies with it. Mounts in series with antenna. There were some negative comments on it recently (search a bit through the boerd).

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#55250 - 05/01/2002 08:02 Re: Install Q's/Probs [Re: bonzi]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Thanks for the quick response. I knew there had to be someway to get around that minor detail. Supose I'll have to go out and around the town here in a few and see if anyone has the Kenwood KCA-S210A so I can still get this thing installed today as that does seem to be a good way to go. Site doesn't say its exact size although I don't imagine I'll be able to install it inside the dash so I don't have to run wires to the back, although I may be able to get it under the seat without the wife even knowing. She's VERY picky about her car.

#55251 - 05/01/2002 08:06 Re: Install Q's/Probs [Re: CyberGlitch]
spider

its a geo

#55252 - 05/01/2002 09:53 Re: Install Q's/Probs [Re: CyberGlitch]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Many manufacturers of car audio equipment also sell nifty little "line-in" adaptors that can plug into the CD-Changer inputs, allowing external audio devices (Empegs!) to be connected. Usually special order, and sometimes pricey (but way cheaper than a whole new head unit).

It doesn't hurt to ask them about it.

#55253 - 05/01/2002 12:32 Re: Install Q's/Probs [Re: mlord]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Thanks for all the input guys. I was going to go ahead and put the empeg in there, order something to connect the audio up then be done with it. After the past oh 2 hours or so I've come to the conculsion that my wife will not be able to get the empeg in her car.

First obstacle, head unit needs to be scred in by a side adapter no problem I say lets just drill 2 small holes for the screws to slide into and connect to the empeg sled to the metal cage in the geo. Problem solved.

2nd. Go out to the car to see how everything is going to fit before drilling holes. Then notice the sled is a litter wider then the plastic in her cars allows. Try to fit it in there a few difference ways but the plastic won't allow it. I think well if it was my car no problem trim the plastic in the car down a little bit and problem solved. But like I said my wife really loves her car and won't go for it. She said she would love to have the empeg in her car but doesn't wanna do anything to car just to make it fit. Loves her car more then an empeg I guess.

Now my whole day is kinda wasted although I know have an extra empeg backup that'll just be sitting in the house 24/7 playing all my wifes music in the bedroom. Ahh well can't have everything I guess.

#55254 - 05/01/2002 12:42 Re: Install Q's/Probs [Re: CyberGlitch]
mandiola
enthusiast

Loc: Miami, FL - Sioux Falls, SD
I had the same problem with my install. I have 2 din slots so it works out perfect to install both my empeg and my sony cd deck. The problem was that they have to be screwed in (I have a '92 eclipse) and the other problem was that I had to buy an adapter from sony to use the aux in.... cost me $100 for the stupid adapter. Anyways, I got around the screw problem by attacting it to the front cover that goes in to cover the screw hole. I was thinking that it would be to flimsy and break but once i installed it, it would out perfect. The only problem I have now is when I need to work on something its the biggest pain to remove my decks out.

-Greg

#55255 - 05/01/2002 12:53 Re: Install Q's/Probs [Re: CyberGlitch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It's possible that someone might have an aftermarket installation kit (maybe even with a replacement dash trim panel) to take care of your problem. Don't give up yet. Do a search around the web and see if you can come up with something.

And if it comes down to dremeling the trim panel... well, it's a ten-year-old Geo for goodness sake. Just cut it.

#55256 - 05/01/2002 13:24 Re: Install Q's/Probs [Re: tfabris]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Thats what I told her. Hell even to ease her mind I said we can keep the orignal trim the way it is and store it. Go to the junk yard and pick up the best looking trim we can find, cut that one to size and use it. I may be able to talk her into but as it stands everything is put back into her car the way it was and the empeg is back in its box hoping that one day it'll be freed and put to good use to serve human kind with endless amouts of music.

#55257 - 05/01/2002 13:56 Re: Install Q's/Probs [Re: CyberGlitch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Go to the junk yard and pick up the best looking trim we can find, cut that one to size and use it.

Good idea!

But the words "junk yard" probably made her mad so you're scrod now.

#55258 - 05/01/2002 14:12 Re: Install Q's/Probs [Re: tfabris]
jheathco
enthusiast

Loc: Mission Viejo, California
Um... I've got an adapter that converts the CD input to just a single AUX red/white RCA input that you'd want. I don't use it anymore (I used to use it for my Kenwood deck). If you can't find one online, I'd be glad to sell mine to you for really cheap. I think they sell them on crutchfield though, call their number, it wouldn't be listed on their site.

#55259 - 05/01/2002 16:04 Re: Install Q's/Probs [Re: CyberGlitch]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Do a stealth install

Like when see ain't around she will never know as long as you get everything done in time.

Method i use to install mother's stereo in her car when she changes car She don't like seeing the bits of her car lieing around the house.

#55260 - 05/01/2002 16:51 Re: Install Q's/Probs [Re: CyberGlitch]
jdandrea

Loc: New Jersey
... the empeg is back in its box hoping that one day it'll be freed and put to good use to serve human kind with endless amouts of music.

Wha-wha-WHAT?!

Good sir, you can put it to good use TODAY! Use it as an in-house MP3 jukebox, why dontcha.

#55261 - 07/01/2002 13:12 Re: Install Q's/Probs [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
so you're scrod now

I've heard that action described in every way you could ever imagine... but I have to admit, this is the first time I have ever heard someone use pluperfect subjunctive.

tanstaafl.