Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#55944 - 07/01/2002 02:05 Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup?
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Im kinda curious on other peoples playlist setup. i attached a screenshot of my emplode playlist structure, hope others do the same. to make a screen shot make sure the emplode window is active, and hit alt + print screen. for you linux users u know how to take care of bizness. just wanna get some ideas, maybe there is a better solution for me, or others.. just to give some new users an idea of how to oginize there new player.

#55945 - 07/01/2002 02:08 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: justinlarsen]
justinlarsen
old hand

For some reason its not letting me attach a file..

#55946 - 07/01/2002 03:00 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: justinlarsen]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Is it perhaps larger than 100k?

/Michael

#55947 - 07/01/2002 03:05 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: justinlarsen]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
At the top level, I have:

Artists
Books
Compilations
Humour
Soundtracks

Artists has each artist as a separate playlist. In here, each album by that artist has a separate playlist. When possible, the albums are sorted in order of release date. Artists are sorted alphabetically. Tracks appear in albums, in track number order.

Books just has "Harry Potter" in it at the moment. This then has a playlist for each of the books. The individual discs _do_not_ appear as separate playlists at this level.

Compilations generally just has album playlists in it. Sometimes I have labels/series as playlists in their own right, e.g. "Cafe del Mar" appears as a single playlist, with all of the volumes under that.

Humour is fairly freeform at the moment.

Soundtracks has each movie as a separate playlist.

This mirrors (exactly) the layout on my Linux box, making keeping the two sync'ed easy.

#55948 - 07/01/2002 03:31 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: justinlarsen]
furtive
old hand

At the top level I've got:

All Music (Everything except classical in artist/album subfolders)
Classical
New Stuff (Anything new goes in here for a while)
Now Playing (Playlist that I generally listen to which gets changed often)

#55949 - 07/01/2002 03:38 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: furtive]
justinlarsen
old hand

cool cool, keep them comming, no its on 36k its weird,.. im trying agian now hope it works

Attachments
54136-Untitled-1.gif (131 downloads)

#55950 - 07/01/2002 05:55 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: justinlarsen]
Fastrack

Loc: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Looks good, but what's with all the under scores!

#55951 - 07/01/2002 08:02 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: justinlarsen]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Artists (Only artists that have at least three tracks)
A-D, E-H, I-L, M-O, P-R, S-U, V-Z (each of these has about 25 artists)

For all the songs left over (one hit wonders), I have a "Genres" playlist that has "Alternative" "Techno" "Rap" "Pop" "Metal" "Classic Rock" etc etc...

With 8000+ tracks, I have way to many artists to not sub-categorized them. That is why I'm hoping the "soup" view will break down the artists a bit so that I don't have to sort through hundreds of artists.

Sorry, empeg is in the car so I can't do a screen capture, but it would take a few grabs to show everything.

#55952 - 07/01/2002 08:12 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
Boy, breaking the big "artists" list up into smaller groups alphabetically is a great idea.
I just have one big playlist of all artists, with sub-playlists of albums.
Much smarter to break the artists playlist up. Less scrolling.
Im going to set mine up ike that right now.

Thanks for sharing. :-)

Zachary Volpicelli
Lost in Boston

#55953 - 07/01/2002 20:54 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: Fastrack]
justinlarsen
old hand

Im part of the mp3 scene underscores is something i have always used. i dunno id you know the fileing system for the scene but it goes like this. for a full album thefolder name is "AFI-The_Art_of_Drowning-2000-zrO_INT" its just the way i was raised on mp3.. dont mind it

#55954 - 07/01/2002 21:26 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: justinlarsen]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Justin, what is the zr0_INT? Where does track number fit into that? Or album name?

FWIW: Back to the topic of this thread, file names are not used at all in emplode. Just the ID3 tags (unless they are missing). The files are renamed once placed on the player.

#55955 - 07/01/2002 23:40 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
holly #@!%$ that was close

I liked your idea for grouping the playlists so I did it on mine. I arranged everything in emplode the tried to sync and it froze while trying to upload the playlists so I rebooted the player and all the playlists were ereased from the player. I tried again with the same results.

I was using mlords kernal so I put the beta 2.07 back on using a different computer then tried the sync again (i never closed emplode so it still had the playlists) and it worked

I only have about 2700 tracks but it would have sucked making all the playlists again I have one for each album.

Matt

#55956 - 08/01/2002 10:06 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: msaeger]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Yikes, 2700 is still a lot of tracks! That would have sucked! I thnk everyone recommends running 1.03 for major playlist uploads because it is more stable.

Just to bring this up, I know we have a lot of new users here so I wanted to point out that you can "copy" any song or playlist in emplode as many times as you want and it wont take up any more disc space. So, you can have a song appear 10 times in 10 different playlists, but it only is one file on the player. I do this for CD singles that have the album version or compilations that have songs that are on albums I own.

#55957 - 08/01/2002 15:35 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
this was really weird because just the playlists were gone when I started the player before I got the sync to work it still had all the tracks but no playlists

I didn't even think about something like that happening

Matt

#55958 - 08/01/2002 17:18 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: Roger]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Or even, look at this post. It's got my playlists attached to it as XML.

#55959 - 09/01/2002 12:16 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
justinlarsen
old hand

zr0_int is just the a faulse group i re-tag you might have seen rlses with like-EGO at the end or -RNS same thing.. it just goes in the comments section in the id3 tage.. and in the labling for my computer mp3's off the empeg.

#55960 - 09/01/2002 21:23 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: justinlarsen]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Yeah I have seen those in Morpheus but I still don't know what they mean! :P

#55961 - 09/01/2002 22:55 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
mafisto
journeyman

Loc: St. Paul, MN, USA
From what I understand, that's just people tagging the files. There's longer suffixes that contain full nicknames. I'm not sure what the basic psychology is (people get to see your nickname...?) but I think that's it. Or is it, Justin?

#55962 - 10/01/2002 05:40 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: justinlarsen]
JaBZ
addict

Loc: NZ
Mine is as follows...

Artists
Albums
Compilations
Soundtracks
Top 100
00's
90's
80's
70's

the decades took a little bit of work, since most of my tags didn't have year. Yes backup, then back it up again, and backup the backup

#55963 - 10/01/2002 07:18 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: justinlarsen]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I've got the usual Artist->Album->Song setup because I find that to be the quickest way for me to find what I want. Because I have so many items in the root (a lot of artists), I find the dial to be very useful, and I'm amazed at how well they did the acceleration on it. I find that one really quick spin can get me all the way to Led Zeppelin

Also in the root, I have ~Other~ and ~Jazz~ I believe. Jazz is obvious, and I keep it in its own seperate genre because I can more easily tell the player to ignore it on a full player search, and it would look wierd to have Gerry Mulligan next to Led Zeppelin

Well, that's my setup. I like it.

#55964 - 10/01/2002 12:26 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: mafisto]
justinlarsen
old hand

well no, put it this way there is a whole underground scene of mp3 that alot of people dont know about, its where all your pre release mp3s come from, and the -EGO is the group of people that rls is and the differnt prefixes are differnt groups, rarly is it jsut one person. its kidna hard to explain how it works without accully being involved with it, its how i got my 200+ gigs of mp3s thou

#55965 - 10/01/2002 12:37 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: justinlarsen]
mafisto
journeyman

Loc: St. Paul, MN, USA
Gotcha, so it's like an mp3 version of a hack/crack/distro group one would see referenced in a warez nfo file? I mean, if one were to ever download pirate software, which one does not (that one admits)?

Just out of curiosity, at what point do you decide you have enough music, or is it just the thrill of collecting? I find myself hoarding mp3s in a misguided attempt to fill my 60, which is becoming a bit unsettling.

#55966 - 10/01/2002 13:04 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: justinlarsen]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
top tip if going for A to Z is to copy the letter grouping off the keys on the remote ABC,DEF,GHI,JKL,MNO,PRS,TUV,WXY,QZ

this way if you hit 3 on the remote it goes straight to GHI

And you could have an artist EG U2 under TUV and also under Rock and when you add a new album to U2 under TUV it appears automatically under Rock as well.

#55967 - 10/01/2002 13:11 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: thinfourth2]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

thinfourth2, I lost you... how does that work again?

#55968 - 10/01/2002 13:56 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Okay try again.

lets say you have the following on your empeg. Prince,U2,prodigy,stone roses, and REM

U2 would be under Rock
prince under Pop
prodigy under Dance
stone roses under Indy
REM also under Rock

that would be a typical genre type playlist set up but aswell as this you can have a A to Z set up as well

With U2 under TUV
Prince, prodigy, REM and stone roses under PRS

Okay now under each artist you will have more playlists for each album.

Now to set this up you upload an playlist to the empeg to where ever you want it like upload fat of the land to prodigy that would be under the dance genre on the top level.

Now if you have copied and pasted the prodigy playlist from dance into PRS in emplode anything you do to the prodigy playlist in dance will be done to the prodigy playlist under PRS.

Is that any clearer

To sum up you can take any track or playlist and copy and paste it around emplode and it stays in one place but has shortcuts placed where ever you paste to

#55969 - 10/01/2002 14:03 Re: Hows Your Emplode Playlist Setup? [Re: thinfourth2]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Okay that makes sense. I always thought that if you copied a playlist, it just copied the contents of the playlist over ... esentially making two copies instead of two references to one playlist. That is cool!