Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#58130 - 12/01/2002 06:31 Anyone Have A Creative Nomad Jukebox
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
just got a nomad jukebox today, and well it sucks, cant even compare to what the empeg has to offer, maybe im missing something.. it has a weak databasing system, limited very limited, usb keeps loosing sync, the one thing i do like about it how good it sounds compared to toher mp3 players.. it really puts out a nice sound, when you can get past how messed up it is to use, it automatically throws everythign into ques when you play it. blah im going to have to work with it more i guess.. the empeg is way better..

#58131 - 14/01/2002 07:54 Re: Anyone Have A Creative Nomad Jukebox [Re: justinlarsen]
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
I've got one ... my two biggest complaints ...

1. The queue and playlist system does nothing other than suck.

2. The battery life is about as long as my p*n*s. This is very disappointing.

The only good thing I have to say about it is that it was cheap, and it can be upgraded with a larger drive by opening up the case.

Greg

#58132 - 14/01/2002 17:42 Re: Anyone Have A Creative Nomad Jukebox [Re: grgcombs]
tgnb
stranger

Loc: earth
I got one about a year ago.. and BOY does it suck.. the promised remote functionality STILL doesnt work

Attachments
57051-tgnb-faf.jpg (80 downloads)

#58133 - 15/01/2002 09:13 Re: Anyone Have A Creative Nomad Jukebox [Re: justinlarsen]
BryanR

Loc: Berkshire, UK
I've got one, too. Since I got it after my Empeg, I did think that the interface was terrible, but whether that was because I've been spoilt I couldn't decide.

I've come to the conclusion that it's acceptable for the purposes for which I wanted it (which is mainly on relatively short train journeys, and the like), but I wouldn't have been able to use it as a music source with my old car stereo, as I once considered.

Mind you, I like the way it's easy to use as a USB file taxi. I know you can (just about) use the Empeg for this, but it's a damn sight more complex than the Nomad.

Bryan.

#58134 - 15/01/2002 09:59 Re: Anyone Have A Creative Nomad Jukebox [Re: justinlarsen]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I use mine when I go on trips and am not the driver. Helps out when you don't like the driver's music preference.. I have to agree about the playlists. I hooked it up to my car stereo all of once. When I realized I had to look down to control the nomad, I realized I was a severe traffic hazard.. The LCD display has crappy contrast even with the backlight, and is reeally prone to glare.

#58135 - 15/01/2002 10:36 Re: Anyone Have A Creative Nomad Jukebox [Re: BryanR]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
I like the way it's easy to use as a USB file taxi. I know you can (just about) use the Empeg for this, but it's a damn sight more complex

If you can hook it up with Ethernet and use Marks HiJack kernels, it is now
quite easy to filetaxi with the empeg too...
just ftp it up and down (OK, you need to send an extra command to mount the
disks rw before uploading and ro afterwards, but I would call that hard)

/Michael

#58136 - 15/01/2002 13:43 Re: Anyone Have A Creative Nomad Jukebox [Re: mtempsch]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Yeah, but you have to plug it in. Too bad there's not, like, a ten minute battery in there.

#58137 - 16/01/2002 03:16 Re: Anyone Have A Creative Nomad Jukebox [Re: mtempsch]
BryanR

Loc: Berkshire, UK
Very true, but since our network at work is from the stone age (and the network admin is consequently a bit touchy about people messing around with it), I'm limited to USB (or serial!). I do use Ethernet at home, though.

Bryan.