Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#59351 - 15/01/2002 17:52 kernel download problem
jarob10
enthusiast

Loc: Stockport, UK
Can anyone assist ?

I am having major problems downloading the hijack kernel into my Mk2 player, required to activate my pioneer IR remote.

I have tried both the logo editor and standalone upload.exe program, this results in either :
1. inability to read the empeg manufacturers data, or
2. crashes and requires a re-upload of ver2.0 beta 7

I then attempted running download_dwg in cygwin, which seems to get a bit further in the download process before ultimately crashing.

The serial connection appears sound as the upload of ver 2.0 beta 7 works flawlessly every time.

None the less, I have tried every possible serial port setting with each method descibed above - each to no avail.

I have also tried using my work laptop running windows NT (Iall the above work was on windows XP), howver I got similar results

Any suggestions ? Could the player itself be faulty ?

#59352 - 15/01/2002 20:41 Re: kernel download problem [Re: jarob10]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The correct settings are 115200bps, 8N1, and no flow control. Are you sure that you've downloaded the Hijack image properly? Check the size of the file you have on your hard drive to the size that Mark has posted on his web site. If it's different, try downloading it again using Tony's favorite tool, GetRight, or mine, wget.

#59353 - 16/01/2002 01:21 Re: kernel download problem [Re: wfaulk]
jarob10
enthusiast

Checked the file size, and also repeated a kernel download with your suggested serial port settings - still no luck.

I will give wget a try - are there any instructions available for empeg operation ?

#59354 - 16/01/2002 01:43 Re: kernel download problem [Re: jarob10]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Some people have reported difficulties sending logos or kernels to the player. Sometimes trying it on a different computer solves the problem, sometimes swapping the cable solves the problem, sometimes slowing down the serial transfer (by compiling debug messages into the download.c code) solves it.

#59355 - 16/01/2002 06:25 Re: kernel download problem [Re: tfabris]
jarob10
enthusiast

success !

Tried tony's program on a 3rd computer - 5 year old PC running win95.

1. logo editor wouldnt run (missing DLL)
2. ran upload.exe from the dos shell, this was not able to open the hijack file, so ....
3. Renamed the hijack file to that observing the old dos naming structure. Dowload success !

My last question is - is my workaround of renaming the hijack image actually introducing other problems ? I have not tested the empeg yet, but holding down the volume button invokes the 'secret' menu, so everythiing *seems* ok so far ....

Thanks for the input - John

#59356 - 16/01/2002 08:01 Re: kernel download problem [Re: jarob10]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Changing the name won't be a problem.

#59357 - 16/01/2002 09:16 Re: kernel download problem [Re: andy]
jarob10
enthusiast

Is it worth adding this workaround within the faq ?

Or would it be appropriate for future releases to observe the old naming structure ?

Sorry if this suggestion is crass - just feel like I ought to contribute something to the cause given the amount of help I have received from you guys ...

Many thanks - John

#59358 - 16/01/2002 12:49 Re: kernel download problem [Re: jarob10]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
1. logo editor wouldnt run (missing DLL)

At my home page for the logo editor (click on my name below), is a link to the VB6 runtime libraries required to run it.