Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#59458 - 16/01/2002 03:46 Empeg III Board
Nosferatu
enthusiast

Loc: France, Champagne
I read an article about this board in a French Linux Magazine, and I dreamt about the custom car player could be done with ...

Neuron Board

#59459 - 18/01/2002 07:49 Re: Empeg III Board [Re: Nosferatu]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

Not bad, but it has its drawbacks. Among those: _SLOW_ IDE interface (2Mbit/s, according to the specs), space-consuming (but easily upgradable) RAM interface.
Also, it doesn't provide much information about the systems boot process, or how the optional Linux OS would be loaded onto such system.

cu,
sven

#59460 - 18/01/2002 16:07 Re: Empeg III Board [Re: Nosferatu]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Why is the neuron better? The neuron 100 looks less powerful the the current empeg.

Calvin

#59461 - 18/01/2002 16:34 Re: Empeg III Board [Re: smu]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'm pretty sure they're using "b" to mean BYTE and not bit. At least I hope so. With support for only 8MegaBytes of RAM, the disk performance isn't the only thing to worry about.

Another big factor is that the empeg apart from being JUST a computer, is that it's a computer designed for audio output. There are no detailed specs on the audio hardware of the Neuron 200 board apart from sample rate and bitrate (which alone don't mean much). Not to mention that the empeg is a complete product. you can get all sorts of general-purpose empbedded and miniaturized computers. Getting them into a case complete with power regulation, audio processing, display and button interfaces is something else completely.

Bruno