Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5984 - 15/09/1999 15:16 BMW Amber Display
Elite M3

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
I have the amber display, and it isn't even close to BMW amber. BMW's display is more redish/orange, and this amber is kind of stale.
I would like to know if/when there will be a BMW color display plate that can be purchased.

#5985 - 15/09/1999 16:23 Re: BMW Amber Display [Re: Elite M3]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
We have played with some darker displays, but the problem is that the spectrum emitted by the display is actually blue-green, so the nearer orange/red you get the dimmer the display appears. We tried a Audi-red display and it looked great.... at night. During the day it was too dim to be useful :(

Unfortunately, blue-green is the standard VFD colour, so there's really not a lot we can do about it.

hugo

#5986 - 16/09/1999 08:25 Re: BMW Amber Display [Re: Elite M3]
NasalGoat

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Personally, I think it's pretty arrogant of BMW owners to *demand* empeg make a unit that matches their cars specifically. A display *only* for BMWs? What snobs.

#5987 - 16/09/1999 10:11 Re: BMW Amber Display [Re: NasalGoat]
Elite M3

If you read back in the early stages of the EMPEG you will find that they added the amber display for "those BMW owners". I am not being arrogant, and I am not demanding anything, I am simply adding a request on the "wish list". That is what this list is for.

I would also like to be able to fly, but I don't think that Hugo could grant me that wish as well.

#5988 - 16/09/1999 10:13 Re: BMW Amber Display [Re: altman]
Elite M3

Could you see it at all? Did the Audi Red look like the rest of the instrument panel? That would be cool.
What if I took the red plastic sheets (used in those decoder toys) and placed it behind the screen and screwed it in?
I tested the display by taking a peice of plastic overhead and scribbled a red sharpy on it, then placed it over the amber
display and it actually matched the BMW amber/red. Will that cause any problems?

Would there be any way to purchase the red audi display separately?