Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#60891 - 18/01/2002 17:07 Warranty? Register?
Schorschi
stranger

Loc: FL, USA
I got a 10GB player from eBay. Had it shipped to a friend in Florida, I live in Germany, will move (permanently) to the U.S. in summer though.

I will not have the player shipped to Germany due to high shipping and customs costs this would imply. So I have to wait until summer to see and test my baby. My friend merely did a basic power and boot up test -- everything seems to work ok from her description: "...I did plug it in and the little screen lit up saying RIO, then it changed to different commands if you pushed in the button.." -- but she is not quite capable and/or willing to actually get into putting music onto it and hooking it up to the stereo. So I can't be 100% certain that the player works as expected.

If I find out in six months -- when I get to test it myself -- that there's something wrong with the player will I be honored warranty? Is there some kind of registration card that has to be sent in?

Anything else I should be aware of in this odd little set up of having bought a player but not being able to see it for another six months?

Georg

#60892 - 18/01/2002 17:16 Re: Warranty? Register? [Re: Schorschi]
Chao

The best solution is going to be either having her pour over the manual, or find a local friend of hers drop by to test it. All that really needs doing is to move a single mp3 over to it, put it in a playlist, and play from the playlist. Yes, it's a lot easier for *me* to say this, however it sounds like you don't really have many other options

#60893 - 18/01/2002 17:17 Re: Warranty? Register? [Re: Schorschi]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sounds like the player is working fine, and I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't know about their policy on honoring warranty on e-bayed players. Back in the days of the Mk1, when there were only a few players being e-bayed, they were cool with it. Dunno what it's going to be like now, since a whole new company owns them.

Rob? Comments?

#60894 - 15/05/2002 12:21 Re: Warranty? Register? [Re: tfabris]
CurlyKicker

Loc: Orange County, CA
In reply to:

I don't know about their policy on honoring warranty on e-bayed players. Back in the days of the Mk1, when there were only a few players being e-bayed, they were cool with it. Dunno what it's going to be like now, since a whole new company owns them.

I'm also curious about this too. Should the sellers have included their receipts with the sale or would that not have made any difference? Besides, if they did include the receipt with the sale, the buyer would have had all of their info, including their address and customer number.

Rob?

#60895 - 15/05/2002 16:37 Re: Warranty? Register? [Re: CurlyKicker]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
It's up to you to prove to us when the player was bought. That means you should get a copy of the original receipt from the seller - just as you would expect to do when buying any second hand goods that are within warranty.

If need a warranty repair and you don't have proof of original purchase then the only hope you have is that the player originated from the empeg store (because we have all the sales records). In that case you will also be reliant on us contacting the original purchaser and confirming your ownership.

If the player came from carplayer.com or the US store then you will need documentation to support your claim.

This seems like a fairly obvious requirement to me.

Rob

#60896 - 16/05/2002 00:34 Re: Warranty? Register? [Re: rob]
CurlyKicker

Loc: Orange County, CA
Thanks for the clarification Rob.

#60897 - 16/05/2002 05:22 Re: Warranty? Register? [Re: rob]
philip2002
new poster

Rob, about the original box from SonicBlue? It has the Rio model number and capacity and a UPS label with a specific date. Would this be enough?

#60898 - 16/05/2002 05:28 Re: Warranty? Register? [Re: philip2002]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Probably not officially, but in practice it would be up to customer support.

Rob

#60899 - 16/05/2002 09:23 Re: Warranty? Register? [Re: philip2002]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
I'll accept the following, in order of preference:

- Paper or scan of invoice
- Paper or scan of shipping note
- email of order confirmation
- UPS shipping label for carplayer.com (since they stick it on the box, so most people still have it).

As long as I can see that the player was purchased less than a year ago (and isn't stolen), then that is enough.