Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#61134 - 19/01/2002 05:54 Mayday! Mayday!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I loaded new songs on to my mp3. Apparently one of them was bad. While the song was playing it started skipping and stopping and starting and what not. Then it just froze up, so I tryed unplugging it and plugging it back in. It goes to the first song in the playlist stays frozen for a few seconds, reboots by itself then either goes back to the first song in the playlist or back to the screwed up song and just continues this seemingly random cycle. Emplode won't recognize it. What can I do? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

#61135 - 19/01/2002 06:38 Re: Mayday! Mayday! [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found this in a previous post after searching for "bad mp3" :

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"It does sound like you have got an mp3 file on there which is upsetting the player - that's the usual explaination for a lock.

Clear the playlist:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda3 bs=512 count=1

Get it to ignore the current state:

/empeg/bin/player -i

...and it should run again. Connect with emplode and remove the offending song. If you have a copy of it, support would probably like it so we can ensure that 2.0 (which already has better rejection of corrupt/damaged files) deals with it correctly.

Hugo "

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm don't know how to do this though. Please help!

#61136 - 19/01/2002 07:21 Re: Mayday! Mayday! [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, I upgraded from version 1.03 to 2 beta 7 and was able to delete the bad mp3. Everything works fine now. Cool new visuals!

#61137 - 19/01/2002 07:24 Re: Mayday! Mayday! [Re: ]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden

Get it to ignore the current state:

/empeg/bin/player -i

First you need to have the developer edition of the player software installed - if you don't, go fetch the propoer .upgrade file and apply it.

Then connect to the player through the serial terminal using a program like Hyperterminal, communications parameters are 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control, 115200bps. When you create the new connection, tell it to Connect using: [direct to your_com_port], then set up the parameters...

With Hyperterminal up and connected, boot the player and press 'q' when prompted (might have to repeat a few times). When you get the command prompt from the player (see attached pic) enter the command

and press enter. It's vital to get this correct (so cut and paste is a good idea) as it will write 512 bytes of 0's to the start of the 3rd partition - you don't want it to write more or elsewhere...

Then enter the second command
/empeg/bin/player -i 

to restart the player without it checking for stored state.

Then reboot player and see if it works OK.

HTH,

/Michael

Edit: Oh well, maybe someone else will find it useful. Glad you got it working!

Attachments
58945-hyperterminal.gif (133 downloads)

Edited by mtempsch (19/01/2002 07:26)

#61138 - 19/01/2002 17:04 Re: Mayday! Mayday! [Re: mtempsch]
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks, mtempsch