Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#62431 - 23/01/2002 21:25 Installation question
jamessim
new poster

Hey everyone... I'm brand new here - just bought a unit a few days ago. My question is this: I've seen people talking about using another head unit for a tuner; would it be possible to go the other way? That is, use an AM/FM/cassette receiver with aux ins instead of having to add an amp? I've got space for two units, and the one I have has an aux in plug.

Reason I ask is that I really want to use the rio, but I can't afford the amp with installation, etc right now (starving college student and all that).

Thanks!

#62432 - 23/01/2002 21:33 Re: Installation question [Re: jamessim]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I won't leave it to Tony to point you in the right direction. RioCar.org has a FAQ that covers some of the possible installation configurations you can do, which Rio->Head Unit->Speakers is one of them. Here's one of the places it's talked about: link

Edit: Meant the other Tony, but you'll do yn0t_..

Edited by Yang (23/01/2002 21:35)

#62433 - 23/01/2002 21:33 Re: Installation question [Re: jamessim]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Yes, it can be done, and it's what I'm doing. I have a Kenwood head unit with AM/FM/CD and my Empeg goes through its AUX input (a special adaptor was needed.) Now that I have a tuner module I'd just as soon get an amp and drop the Kenwood head unit on EBay, but it's not near the top of my to-do list. (But evidently, reading the BBS is!)

It's a good strategy for those who don't want to blow a huge chunk of change on an external amp.

#62434 - 23/01/2002 22:09 Re: Installation question [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Or you connect he same way you have PLUS outboard amps. Then you can blow more coin. That's what I did.

I use my Clarion HU as a preamp - as well as tuner and CD player. Though I've only listened to about 1 minute of radio and have no intention of ever using it again AND, I've only listened to 1 CD.

It allows me finer control of my main and sub levels plus it has a much smoother rotary volume control.

Bruno