Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#63308 - 26/01/2002 03:23 General AM reception problems
skeeter
stranger

Hey all,

Install went perfectly, but I find myself with the same problem I've had with almost EVERY aftermarket stereo I've owned... Bad AM reception. Fine in open air and in most neighborhoods, but if I go under an overpass, through anything that obstructs slightly, or sometimes even on a HILL, my reception gets bad. Static, I can usually hear but just a ton of noise.

No alternator whine, no ground-fault problem, nothing that varies with speed or lights being on... Just bad reception, I loose a bar or two and gets crackley.

Any general tips? Everything is grounded, I'm using my factory power antenna that provided great AM clarity with the stock head unit.

Any adivce helpful. Should I look into a signal booster or new (after market) antenna?

THanks,

Skeeter
30 gigs
1995 Impala SS

#63309 - 26/01/2002 03:47 Re: General AM reception problems [Re: skeeter]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Have you checked if your car (what make/model?) uses an antenna amplifier?
This is the case for newer Audi/VW/Seat etc cars. The stock head units have the circuitry inside to feed the amplifier through the antenna lead, aftermarket units need an adapter... Symptom is often OK FM reception but poor AM.

/Michael

#63310 - 26/01/2002 11:21 Re: General AM reception problems [Re: skeeter]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The AM reception on my tuner is excellent. Double-check the antenna wire itself, and its connections, to be sure they didn't get pulled apart during the installation. Also, did you read these FAQ entries on the subject?

#63311 - 26/01/2002 11:56 Re: General AM reception problems [Re: mtempsch]
Chao

I don't know, I have the standard GM antenna setup and no problems with AM/fm reception with the tuner.

#63312 - 26/01/2002 15:35 Re: General AM reception problems [Re: tfabris]
skeeter
stranger

Yes, definitely checked out the FAQ... I think this falls more under the general category of AM radio installation than Empeg-related, so I'll try to fix accordingly.

Knowing that some of you get great AM is all I needed to know... That means its in the install or antenna, so I'll start testing. Gentlemen, get out your ohm-meters

Thanks to all,

Skeeter