Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6345 - 28/11/1999 14:15 Learn Remote Commands
Kedl
new poster

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Either thru the emplode sw or on the empeg itself we should be able to learn any remotes commands. The IRMAN lets you do this; I assume the empeg IR is about as generic. At least I hope so :-)

I want to be able to learn a couple different remotes; so, unlike the IRMAN default software, I want to be able to press "play" on 3 different remotes and the empeg understand.

I actually hacked up the IRMAN sw to do this for QNX.

I am planning on getting the developers sw Real Soon Now (TM) and could probably do this if nobody else has the Bandwidth. Is the existing decode software available for me as a starting point? Or is this already in progress?

Thanks!

I drove 10 hours to Cincinatti and back over Thanksgiving listening to empeg music the whole way. Very sweet! My family loves it too. :-)

6GB, Blue, S/N 00272, Q 5001

#6346 - 29/11/1999 04:20 Re: Learn Remote Commands [Re: Kedl]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
The infrared decoder is implemented as a kernel driver since the CPU gets an interrupt for each transition of the IR waveform (after demodulation). The interrupt routine runs state machines for the Kenwood remote and for the buttons in parallel so adding another remote is quite straightforward.

There is also a "capture" mode whereby the timings are saved to allow the remote sequence to be decoded. Unless you already know the sequences sent by your remote you will probably need to use this feature.

Note that I'm planning on making some changes to the IR driver to better support auto-repeat which is currently dealt with in an overly-complex and inflexible way.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#6347 - 29/11/1999 08:34 Re: Learn Remote Commands [Re: mac]
Kedl
new poster

Loc: Knoxville, TN
So are you saying it can already handle multiple remotes? Or it is setup so it will be easy to handle multiple remotes Real Soon Now (TM)?

I don't know the waveforms (well I do, but I don't know which bits you use for AGC, which level you consider "1", etc) so how do I go about capturing the waveform?

I guess I'm asking is there a "How to add a remote to control empeg" FAQ?

6GB, Blue, S/N 00272, Q 5001

#6348 - 29/11/1999 09:02 Re: Learn Remote Commands [Re: Kedl]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
It is unlikely that we will support other remotes unless a significant portion of users have the remote.

To add support for a new remote control yourself you will need to write some code in the IR driver. It's not difficult though. The decoder doesn't actually remember waveforms - it just uses a state machine that is quite generous in the timings it accepts to account for clock variation in the remote control. You need to write the state machine for your remote control.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)