Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#64434 - 29/01/2002 14:04 Double din installations
darwin
enthusiast

Of all the aftermarket double din installs that I've done (mainly Toyota's), I've never used the supplied sleeve, and just screwed the brackets to the side of the deck for permanent mounting. Since the empeg has a pullout design, the sleeve is needed. I was hoping I can get some suggestions on how other people installed their empegs in double din dashes to accomidate mounting the sleeve.

I'm trying to install the empeg into a 2001 Toyota 4Runner and it will be doubled on top of a Pioneer deck for my cd and tuner needs. Right now, it's kind of just sitting on top of the pioneer, and when I pull out the empeg, the sleeve starts to follow.

thanks for your replies.

#64435 - 29/01/2002 14:15 Re: Double din installations [Re: darwin]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
On my Isuzu Rodeo, I had the installer cut the screw-in bracket. This was mainly to ensure the Empeg sleeve wouldn't rattle against the bracket. The bracket was cut in half, so only the pocket is held in by screws. See some pics of my install here. The Empeg is held in with the sleeve. It fit perfectly.

EDIT: I just noticed the last part of your post. To stop the sleeve from sliding out, you bend the tabs to make it grip your dash trim.

Edited by robricc (29/01/2002 14:17)

#64436 - 29/01/2002 14:26 Re: Double din installations [Re: darwin]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
I have mine installed in a '95 4Runner along with a pioneer head unit. However, my empeg is underneath the head unit, so the sleeve could be attached to a brace that was already on the bottom of the DIN opening. This makes the empeg a bit hard to read sometimes, but the sleeve is fully secured.

//matt

#64437 - 29/01/2002 14:28 Re: Double din installations [Re: robricc]
darwin
enthusiast

thanks, that install looks great. The opening around the deck seems a little large, and you can actually see the pins when you bend them out to brace the sleeve, it looks sorta tacky so I was trying to avoid that route. I'll work on it later and let you know, thanks.

#64438 - 29/01/2002 14:37 Re: Double din installations [Re: darwin]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Attached to this post is a pic of the docking sleeve (without Empeg docked). You can see the two tabs pushed in, and the lip of the sleeve is flush with the dash trim.

Attachments
62688-rodeo-empeg.jpg (84 downloads)

#64439 - 29/01/2002 14:40 Re: Double din installations [Re: darwin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I drilled holes in the sides of the sleeve and used screws and nuts (low clearance heads going from the inside out) to attach to the frame. Photos here.

#64440 - 29/01/2002 16:17 Re: Double din installations [Re: tfabris]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
I did much the same - at first the unit would not slide into the sleeve due to the bolt heads, so I Dremel'ed the heads down some. Then I didn't really like it overall, and brought it to work to get tack welded in place instead.

It's just a few weld beads in a few spots, so it didn't distort the metal any, and it's easy to take a Dremel again and slice right through them to get it totaly out of the car down the road.

When I was doing this, I first put my CD player into the bracket - the holes in it and the holes in my OE bracket matched right up. Next I put a couple of wooden shims on it and sat the Empeg on top of them and the CD player. I moved it around until the fronts of each piece lined up, and then had the tack welding done. When I got it home it fit great.

HTH, and makes sense.

#64441 - 29/01/2002 16:46 Re: Double din installations [Re: tfabris]
darwin
enthusiast

robricc: your double din dash is different than mine. If I had your deck, I would do it that way for sure, but when I bend up the tabs, they show. I think the opening is just larger due to the way the factory deck looked like before I took it out.

Tony's dash is a little more like mine, where as the side mount screws would normally go into a deck. Before I started drilling holes in my sleeve, I wanted to see the other options. Since Tony was able to screw in low clearance screws, looks like i'll be doing the same.

Thanks again

#64442 - 29/01/2002 23:21 Re: Double din installations [Re: darwin]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I too have the same setup. Pioneer on top of the double DIN installation in a '94 Toyota 2WD PU. I also mounted the Pioneer directly to the OEM bracket and drilled two sets of holes on either side to mount the sled w/four screws/nuts.

One note of caution: Even with the low clearance heads do check that the holes you add to the sled won't interfere with the drive mount screws (the ones on the side of the empeg). I didn't check this, the first time--I only checked to make sure it would clear as the chassis slid in--and it did slide in. It went in with a nice solid CA-CHUNCK right past those dang screws. But then I couldn't get it out. There was no way I could pull the chassis out of the sled by hand. I finally ended up (he hides his head in shame...) a crowbar to "convince" my player to leave the sled. All ended up well. I shaved the heads down with the dremel and it goes in(and out) smooth as silk now.

Best regards,
Tim
(I've also done the same install on a friends Saturn which has worked equally as well.)

#64443 - 30/01/2002 22:44 Re: Double din installations [Re: time]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The Mk1 had some screws that were the same size and thread as the drive-mount screws, but they were flat head low-clearance ones. They were used on the top of the player case.

I would love to get my hands on a dozen or so of those and replace all the external screws on both of my players with those. Less bumping etc. when inserting into the sled.