Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#64842 - 30/01/2002 15:35 can I get a little help using empegVNC?
darwin
enthusiast

I've spent a couple hours trying to figure out this thing, but I feel that the instructions on the web page are missing something. I've downloaded so many different files, but I'm unsure of what goes where. If I'm supposed to extract certain files or not, or rename them. I've run the VNC Viewer for windows, and i'm not even sure what to put for the host. Do I put an IP address? If anybody has some detailed step by step instructions, I would really appreciate it. I'm not expecting anybody to take all their time to write it down for me, but if you have it documented somewhere that you can post, that'd be great. Thanks for your help.

I'm running 2.07b developer edition, with hijack V156, and win XP Pro if that matters. Successful transfers with serial, usb and ethernet.

#64843 - 30/01/2002 15:47 Re: can I get a little help using empegVNC? [Re: darwin]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Upload empegVNC-0.6 to somewhere on your player. (ftp or rz/sz from hyperterminal)
chmod it to make it executable, ie chmod 755 empegVNC-0.6 (you could rename this file to whatever you want...)
Connect with hyperterminal, stop the player (q) and start empegVNC-0.6 (if you cd to where you put it, add ./ before the name to run it) It will go into the background, ie you get the prompt back directly.
Restart player by issuing 'player' command
Start VNCViewer on the PC, enter the empegs IP-number as host. If you have mapped the IP-number to a host name in the hosts file or have it in a DNS, then you can use the name instead.
Enjoy...

/Michael

#64844 - 30/01/2002 15:55 Re: can I get a little help using empegVNC? [Re: darwin]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Damn users and their silly requirements.

First, you need to get the empegVNC binary onto the empeg somehow. Using Hijack's FTP feature is probably the fastest way to do this. I'd suggest just putting it in /empeg/bin along with the player. Note that you'll have to get the partition in read-write mode somehow before doing this.

Once the application is on there, you'll have to set its permissions so that it's executable. ``chmod 755 empegVNC'' or something like that. Hijack's FTP server allows you to do this. You should put the filesystem back in read-only mode at this point.

Now start the application. This is only acheivable by getting a shell on the empeg's console at this point. That requires that you have a developer build running. Attach to the console and press ``q<CR>''. You might have to do that a couple of times. You'll eventually get a prompt. Since you'll already be in /empeg/bin, just run ``./empegVNC''. It'll immediately return. You can go ahead and ``exit'' the shell and close your terminal app at this point, if you wish.

Now bring up your VNC client. You'll need to enter the empeg's IP address or hostname, if it has one on your network, to connect. Some clients may, at this point, require that you specify BGR233 (8-bit) pixel format and/or raw encoding. Try it default first. It usually works out of the box on Windows.

That should be it. Unfortunately, empegVNC doesn't hook into any boot procedures, so you'll have to start it manually each time it boots. I'll fix this later.

Hope that helps.

#64845 - 31/01/2002 09:45 Re: can I get a little help using empegVNC? [Re: wfaulk]
darwin
enthusiast

thanks for your replies. i got confused because I also downloaded the java viewer and didn't know what to do with it. I also had problems making it an executable, it didn't seem like the chmod 755 worked. I used chmod +x, it's probably the same, but oh well. Is there a way I can do this via the Ethernet? I've only been able to make the command using hyperterm and the com1 serial connection.

The empegVNC works pretty well but I'm working on a 1600x1200 screen, and the display is tiny. Is there something I can do to fix that, besides changing my resolution?

looks like a great beginning, it's good to see that there are many developers working on third party software for the empeg.

#64846 - 31/01/2002 10:39 Re: can I get a little help using empegVNC? [Re: darwin]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
If you're using WinVNC or TightVNC, there's an option to scale the display.. Put in 2/1 or 3/1, and enable scaling (bottom right corner of the options menu) and it should blow the picture up a bit. Alternately, you should be able to put -scale n/m on the command-line..