Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#64869 - 30/01/2002 16:33 eBay warranties
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Does anyone know the extent of the warranty available to those who purchase empegs on eBay? Is there one at all? If so, does it begin from the date of auction close or from the date of the original purchase from SONICblue's estore?

#64870 - 30/01/2002 18:31 Re: eBay warranties [Re: maczrool]
Chao

"from the date of the original purchase from SONICblue's estore?"

Please.

It would be the latter, as NO ONE SELLING ON EBAY is an authorized SonicBlue reseller

#64871 - 30/01/2002 22:11 Re: eBay warranties [Re: maczrool]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I do not know what the current policy is on warranty for e-bayed players. It would be nice if Rob could hop in here and give us an official word on it.

Back in the days of the Mk1, since there were so few units, they honored the warranties even if the player was e-bayed (assuming it came from a valid owner and wasn't a stolen player). My Mk1 was this way. However, there are some factors which may make them not have this policy any more: 1) Large number of players now. 2) Owned by a different company now (SonicBlue). 3) Harder to keep track of whether or not the player was legally owned or was stolen. 4) Cheaper players and larger user base means more people mucking about inside the player and breaking things.

#64872 - 31/01/2002 02:27 Re: eBay warranties [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
If you get proof of the original purchase with the player (whether direct from SB or from a retailer such as Car Toys or carplayer.com) then you're covered within the terms of the warranty from the original purchase date.

If you can't prove when the player was purchased then you will be pretty much at the mercy of David's good will! Of course if the original purchaser has invalidated the warranty then you inherit that problem as well.

I think that's pretty much what you would expect of any product that you purchased second hand which is still within the manufacturers warranty period (apart from the bit about David).

Rob

#64873 - 31/01/2002 03:24 Re: eBay warranties [Re: rob]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
If only ALL second hand goods came with a David@empeg for backup - I'd buy everything second hand then.

Still thats what seperates the empeg guys from the others and its a difference to be proud of.

#64874 - 31/01/2002 12:32 Re: eBay warranties [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thanks, Rob. New FAQ entry created.