Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#65655 - 02/02/2002 21:37 Re: Easiest way to switch from/to DHCP? [Re: Terminator]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
kftpd has NEVER required a password.

As of Hijack v168, you can now turn on password checking, by specifying a plain text password in the config.ini file, as in:

[hijack]
kftpd_password=c00ld00d5

Of course, anyone with a web browser can just look at the config.ini file to extract the password, so this is not very secure. To prevent the web-browser side-step, add this line after the password line:

khttpd_files=0

This is much better, but not 100% secure.. it's possible (with a lot of poking around) to bypass this "security", but much easier for somebody would be to just install emplode and mess around using that.

I suppose I ought to add another option to disable Emplode access.. but somebody would probably bugger their player completely if I did that.. requiring a serial download of a non-hijack kernel to regain access. Hmmmm.. that might not be too bad, though..

Cheers

-ml

#65656 - 03/02/2002 10:04 Re: Easiest way to switch from/to DHCP? [Re: loren]
drakino
carpal tunnel

What about just letting the player grab a uPnP address at home? That way you can leave DHCP on at work and home, and should find some sort of workaround for issues in the house.

Question for the empeg guys, does the uPnP code in the empeg try the same IP every time based on an algorithm, or is is mostly random?

#65657 - 03/02/2002 17:39 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: loren]
Fogduck

Loc: BC
(hopefully there are still eyes on this thread)

I am using @Home (well, formerly @Home) for my broadband connection, and my empeg is unable to lease an IP from them, despite every additional machine having a nice 24.65.*.* address. Also, I don't particularly want my empeg visible from the outside world, so this isn't an issue for me.

I was able to connect to my empeg by turning off DHCP usage on my Win2K box (after recording what all the vital IP addresses were) so that I could add a second internal IP to my Ethernet adapter. No problem -- my PC exists on 24.65.*.* and 192.168.1.* at the same time. I set the empeg to a fixed 192.169.1.* address and I use it on that address both at home and at work.

The problem is, my IP expires with @Home every 24 hours, so if I don't hit the DHCP server up after 24 hours, I lose my connection -- so even though I've scraped all the important IPs off the DHCP and manually entered them, they're useless after 24 hours (even though they have never changed.)

Sadly, when I re-enable DHCP on my Win2K box, it discards the extra 192.168.1.* address I gave it, making the empeg inaccessible.

So, does anyone know of a way to use DHCP on an adapter WITH a fixed internal IP?

A few ppl have suggested just putting a second NIC in my machine for my internal subnet, but thats ridiculous.
- - - MK2 #141 12GB Queue #5723 (SOLD) MK2a 30GB + grn + tuner + blk empeg case

#65658 - 03/02/2002 18:35 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: Fogduck]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I wouldn't say that's rediculous... you can get a cheapy NIC card for 10-15 bucks. Can't answer your other questions... haven't tried it myself.

#65659 - 03/02/2002 18:39 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: loren]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Or he could always give up his cable connection and go to a modem. Then there's no problem running a fixed IP on the one NIC.

Bruno

#65660 - 03/02/2002 18:42 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: Fogduck]
ClownBurner

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
One simple way would be to write a Windows script that 'faked' a DHCP renew every 12 hours. I'm not much of a Windows programmer but I'd think it wouldn't be too difficult.

That way, you could stay static and still fool the ISP into thinking you were DHCP. An additional refinement would be to plug the addresses it got back into the registry so if there was a change your static settings would update with it.

#65661 - 03/02/2002 18:51 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: hybrid8]
Fogduck

> Or he could always give up his cable connection and
> go to a modem. Then there's no problem running a fixed
> IP on the one NIC.

...maybe when I retire to my munitions cabin in Montana.

ClownBurner: That would be exactly what I'd need, if I can't mix and match DHCP and fixed IPs on one adapter.

Loren: Maybe not ridiculous then, but dumb. I'll check my local parts bins for a cheapo PCI NIC. Damn tho, right when I thought I had economized on my IRQ assignments...

#65662 - 03/02/2002 18:52 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: Fogduck]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
and my empeg is unable to lease an IP from them, despite every additional machine having a nice 24.65.*.* address.

Interesting, I thought !@Home was a 1-lease-per-customer proposition (I wouldn't know, as I'm with a local DSL outfit...)

...putting a second NIC in my machine for my internal subnet, but thats ridiculous.

Like the man said, not ridiculous at all, but I'd say that a more comforting, more durable, and more trouble-free option (albeit more expensive - say $75 for a 1-port model) would be a cheap hardware router/NAT like a Linksys.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#65663 - 04/02/2002 01:46 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: Fogduck]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Go with Jim's solution (dedicated router with firewall and NAT) - you don't *want* your machines to have direct global address leases. Then all your stuff will live on 192.168.*.*, and router will selectively direct port 80 or any other incoming traffic you want to the machine you specify, you will see the world from internal network, and you will be reasonably well protected.

Otherwise, the only other lege artis solution *is* to have two NICs in your machine, but also to run a firewall there.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#65664 - 04/02/2002 03:40 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: hybrid8]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
On Windows2k/Xp you can use the

ipconfig /renew

command

to do what was suggested in this thread.

MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#65665 - 04/02/2002 03:43 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: Taym]
Fogduck

> On Windows2k/Xp you can use the
> ipconfig /renew
> command
> to do what was suggested in this thread.

Thanks, Taym, but its not that simple, and now that Networking 101 is concluded...

IPCONFIG /RENEW only works for adapters with DHCP enabled. The problem is that I have to DISABLE DHCP and manually enter <what DHCP came up with> to be able to manually ADD an extra internal IP.

So, no, its not as simple as that.

#65666 - 04/02/2002 03:54 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: bonzi]
Fogduck

> NAT) - you don't *want* your machines to have direct
> global address leases. Then all your stuff will live on
> 192.168.*.*, and router will selectively direct port 80 or
> any other incoming traffic you want to the machine you
> specify, you will see the world from internal network, and
> you will be reasonably well protected.

Yes, I've been putting that off and just running firewalls on all the machines here (not that many) -- but I'll keep looking for a solution (as described) including just adding a second NIC.

The machines here have all been safe and unmolested with global IPs for over two years now, so I might live vicariously a little longer.

Thanks.

#65667 - 04/02/2002 04:20 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: Fogduck]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I've had very good experiences with my UsRobotics 8000 Router. My Empeg just clicks into it and it works beautifully. It's not that expensive too : +/- $100
If you even want cheaper : the SMC 7004ABR router is the exact same product and can possibly be found for $20 less or so.

#65668 - 04/02/2002 06:35 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: Fogduck]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Sorry, I just misunderstood what your problem is. Yes, ipconfig /renew only works with dhcp. However, ipconfig /registerdns also renews the lease of a static ip address. I did not understand what exactly is you problem, but maybe that can help.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#65669 - 04/02/2002 10:19 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: Fogduck]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You could get a real operating system.

Seriously, though, if you want to use a router, I'd suggest that you get one of the above linked OSes (I'd prefer one of the BSDs for this purpose) and slap it on a cheap (I'm talking Pentium 166-class) box with two NICs and use it as your firewall instead of one of those black-box DSL/Cable routers. The feature set will be about a million times greater, and you'll have another computer to play with. Then again, there's something to be said for brainless networking.

#65670 - 04/02/2002 10:41 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: wfaulk]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
like THIS!

(that info's outdated, i need to update it. Now there's an 8 port switch and a few other computers...)

#65671 - 04/02/2002 12:05 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: Fogduck]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My dyslexic friend, I highly recommend you grab an integrated firewall/nat router and stick that in-between your broadband connection and the rest of your network. It will solve all of your problems and make you more secure to boot.

We use the Linksys BEFSR11 here, and it's been great. They are surprisingly inexpensive.

#65672 - 04/02/2002 14:22 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: wfaulk]
Fogduck

Thanks guys.

wfaulk: I have a 64MB P233 sitting here pretending to run Win2K (badly) that is acting as a file share, print server, burn unit, and Trillian client (for when my normal workstation is full-screen [read: games] and not conveniently dropped to desktop). I've always wanted to have it perform the same duties under Linux and KDE but figured I'd probably go insane on getting at least one of those features going. But hey, what else is this great empeg/Linux support community good for?

I *could* add another dedicated Linux-based router, but we've already got a cooling issue up in our loft. We don't heat it in winter now that my fiancee moved all her equipment up here too...

Loren: Thats awesome. I've got a wall that I could splatter a workstation on, maybe throw some Lego and a Habitrail system on and around it too. I could make it water-cooled and silent too. I wonder if there's a market for neo-post-modern-functional-overclocked-watercooled-Hamster-inhabited-wall-mounted-workstations. iMac meet WALLpc.

Tony: The writing does seem to be on the wall for finally getting a router. My dumb hubs are filled to capacity as it is. I'd learn more by scraping a Linux solution together, but I don't know what that'd do for the S/N ratio here. I might make it ot (old hand) sooner!

So many decisions. This BBS ups my confidence level for taking the fun/harder route however. Thanks guys.

#65673 - 04/02/2002 14:55 Re: Easiest way to switch from/to DHCP? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
For those who missed the other thread, this feature has now been implemented, along with AC/DC tags as well.

#65674 - 04/02/2002 16:15 Re: Similar Situation, Inverse Problem? [Re: tfabris]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
We use the Linksys BEFSR11 here, and it's been great. They are surprisingly inexpensive.

I had a 3-interface ipchains box running well on a P200 for a while and it was swell, but it took a while to get it the way I wanted it. The motherboard smoked, though, and I was tight for time so I grabbed a Linksys 4-port. Since then I have set up 4 of them for friends with broadband connections. Inexpensive, no moving parts, easy to set up. For my friends, anything more complex or time-consuming would have been an obstacle and I figure they're getting 90+ percent of the benefit with 10 percent of the effort.

I'm rebuilding a box to run Gibraltar/Debian (easy: just a CD/floppy drive) firewall, but I'll probably keep the Linksys on-line for outbound . With latest firmware it now even handles IPSec for work VPN. Pretty darn good bang for the buck.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2