Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#66794 - 04/02/2002 14:40 I'm sure I'm not the first to ask....
joe187
journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
Is there any way to assign EQ settings to a track, album, genre, etc. It would be way cool to have the player associate one EQ setting for a rock album and another for jazz, and have the EQ auto switch when that selection is queued up. Maybe its already there, but it seems like a cool option that would be easy to do. Is there an ID Tag field for this info - seems like the logical place. This almost sounds like a standards issue, which I remember reading makes it a lost cause - no?

#66795 - 04/02/2002 14:55 Re: I'm sure I'm not the first to ask.... [Re: joe187]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Although per-song and per-album EQ have been discussed before, and it is a valid thing to want, you are hereby required to wear a red letter "E" around your neck from now on for wanting per-genre EQ.

Next thing you know, you'll be wanting reverb presets on your player.

Yuck.

#66796 - 04/02/2002 15:51 Re: I'm sure I'm not the first to ask.... [Re: tfabris]
joe187
journeyman

Live Albums suck - I have a couple of great live albums that would be well served by applying some EQ filtering. And whether you call it genre or whatever, it is basically assigning a preset to a particular EQ model. The Empeg has the ability to save many EQ presets. I'm sure we could call them "2k plus 5 DB" or something, but thats a little too awkward for me. If that preset is best served by a "Rock" label, then why not?

This whole thing is entirely subjective - I'm sure there is a fair amount of users out there who like the added color of reverb too. I don't particularly care for it, but as was mentioned, all you are doing is remixing what an engineer/producer thought the music should sound like. They add all kinds of effects, why shouldn't we. I don't pick up my guitar without some EQ, some reverb, some distortion, or other artificially induced coloring. I add it to fit the room or what I want it to sound like at that point. Whats the difference? Quality is an entirely different issue - I agree the lower end reverb rooms are cheesy, but I bet it could be done well.

Just spouting...

Joe

#66797 - 04/02/2002 16:00 Re: I'm sure I'm not the first to ask.... [Re: joe187]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

If that preset is best served by a "Rock" label, then why not?

Because that's missing the point of EQ.

There should be no need to EQ all rock albums differently than classical albums or jazz albums. However, I could understand (as I said in the linked posts) why one would want to EQ an individual song or an individual album differently.

For my collection (which does contain rock, classical, and jazz), I would have more desire to EQ individual rock albums differently than I would want to EQ entire genres differently.

#66798 - 04/02/2002 16:50 Re: I'm sure I'm not the first to ask.... [Re: tfabris]
joe187
journeyman

But most funk and/or hip hop albums are intentionally mixed very heavily in the low end, and my speakers tend not to like that at loud volumes. If I decided to address this with EQ, and then named a preset for this purpose "Funk" isn't that logical and intelligent?

I recognize that EQ is supposed to be a set it and forget it feature. Find the best response for your environment and leave it at that. But then why would Empeg (and virtually every other piece of pre-amp equipment in the past 10 years) provide all of these preset EQ slots? Put it in the car, set the EQ, and then throw away the key.

BTW - I am continually amazed at the quality and responsiveness of this board. I really appreciate the help, and if there was a way for me to contribute to support this resource (cash. time. etc.) just let me know.

#66799 - 04/02/2002 21:33 Re: I'm sure I'm not the first to ask.... [Re: joe187]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sure, you can send me a cashier's check in the mail for $150. Sorry, I don't accept credit cards.....

#66800 - 05/02/2002 02:30 Re: I'm sure I'm not the first to ask.... [Re: joe187]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay, I admit that I don't have any hip-hop on my player. I do have some beat/dance/trance music, and for most of it, I haven't noticed that they are mixed any more bass-heavy than any other music on the player.

In fact, out of all the music on my player, I think the Madonna album is the most bass-heavy of them all.

I don't think there's a problem with wanting to EQ certain albums differently than other albums on the player. I just don't like seeing stereos with a limited selection of pre-EQ'd settings named after genres. That just seems totally wrong to me.

#66801 - 05/02/2002 21:36 Re: I'm sure I'm not the first to ask.... [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Madonna's "Music" has quite a bit of bass extension. A lot more than some of my trance/beat/house/techno as well. What really blew me away a few weeks ago was the amount of bass in the Charlatan's new album, Wonderland. Wow.

Anyone know how any good ways to stop moor handles from rattling? I've done an ok job at deadening panels in the car, but the handle I still don't know how to tackle. (3rd Gen Integra)

Bruno

#66802 - 06/02/2002 03:37 Re: I'm sure I'm not the first to ask.... [Re: hybrid8]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
In reply to:

...the Charlatan's new album, Wonderland. Wow.

I'm just going to chime in here to say I just give the whole album a wow. This is off-topic, sure, but I really love this album, and any mention of this anywhere is enough to make me pipe up and say, "Me too!"

-Aaron