Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#670 - 11/10/1999 16:33 Why don't you have a CD-R based player??
zaph32
new poster

This is what me, and 90% of the world, wants!

#671 - 11/10/1999 17:12 Re: Why don't you have a CD-R based player?? [Re: zaph32]
dmoore
journeyman

Loc: Houston, Tx, Usa
Then you should putchase the MP3man CDR player - anyone that has given this any though KNOWS that the HDD method is much better. It's not as if the Empeg folks are going to replace the unit with a CDR unit. Plus it's already been discussed over and over.

:)

david

#672 - 11/10/1999 19:08 Re: Why don't you have a CD-R based player?? [Re: dmoore]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
actually, not 90% of people want that. why in the world would i want to store 650 meg worth of mp3s at a time, and have to search through them sequentially to find a song, when i could easily have 10 times that much storage with playlists, and all that other cool stuff. it just dosent make any sense. just mail hugo. i'm sure that he will be more than happy to explain for the 5000th time why the empeg team was smart and skipped over the cdr idea, opting for something that is actually useful.

jeremy

oh, i wish i wish i had an empeg...

#673 - 12/10/1999 01:13 Re: Why don't you have a CD-R based player?? [Re: jstrain]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
...you forgot the low access speed, spin up time, vibration problems, low quality media, fragility of the media, mechanical compexity of the player and load mechanism, etc. etc.

...but then you forgot to stress the empeg's high access speed, low latency, high (& expandible) storage volume, shock protection, long lifetime disks, etc. etc.

;^)

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#674 - 12/10/1999 01:52 Re: Why don't you have a CD-R based player?? [Re: zaph32]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK

This one does come up quite often, but it's certainly not the case that 90% of people want a CD based player - especially after they've heard our reasoning against that.

Here goes with the standard response (something similar is in the FAQ):

We have no plans to integrate a CD player into our empeg Car product.

We did consider this option, but decided against it for a number of reasons: some practical, some commercial, and some because of our own opinions.

Starting with the practical ones:

1. There just isn't enough room.
When things like power supplies and a decent display on the unit are taken into account, there is very little space left for a huge CD-ROM drive. Even laptop drives would fill all of the space currently filled with the hard drives.

2. Durability.
Most CD-ROMs nowadays are made to be cheap, not durable, due to the ever shortening cycles of PC development and higher CD speeds. When you throw in the things like wear on bearings from spinning a CD in a moving, vibrating vehicle it becomes apparent that you really need a custom in-car CD-ROM mechanism, which aren't thick on the ground.

Both these problems could be solved if we were a huge audio company, who has mechanisms and designs for these things which could be adapted for CD-ROM (as opposed to CD-audio) playback. But we're not - yet! Adding MP3 playback to a normal CD-audio player isn't as easy as putting a MP3 decoder into the output stream: CD-audio data (a) runs at the wrong data rate and (b) uses an error-spreading technique on the audio stream, as opposed to an error-correction, sector-based technique for CD-ROMs.

Next, the commercial reasons:

1. Limits the market to those with CD-recorders.
You need a CD-recorder to use such a device. CD-recorders are expensive items, have a habit of being a pain for novices to get working reliably, and so on.

2. Appeals to music pirates.
Although it appears that Diamond have emerged victorious over the RIAA, we're not being complacent, and we do not want to be seen as encouraging piracy. Whatever people say, the RIAA and other music industry organisations are rightly worried about CD-R owners, and associate them with piracy, which being honest is what most of the CD-R drives are used for, in one way or another.

Finally, our personal reasons:

1. Not big enough!
The idea with the empeg is to have *all* your favourite music with you at all times. As the idea was go get rid of swapping tapes or CDs, it seems a backward step to end up swapping CDs, even if they hold 12x as much as they did before. With the forthcoming release of the new Toshiba 18Gb laptop drive, the empeg will soon have up to 614 hours of CD-quality audio all inside the unit!

2. Breaks the database.
On the empeg, the music is organised in a database. This allows you to specify tracks to be played by various categories and to bring together different moods of music with ease. With a handful of CD-Rs, you lose this 'anything, anytime' freedom that you get with a hard disk. It also doesn't lend itself well to maintenance of the database: for example, modifying the criteria on a tune stored on a CD-R (say, recategorising Ash from Britpop to Indie) is a major pain.

I hope you can see our reasoning, even if you don't agree!

Regards

Rob

#675 - 12/10/1999 04:29 Re: Why don't you have a CD-R based player?? [Re: schofiel]
Mark Petersen
journeyman

Loc: Denmark, Kbh Ø
the only posibility is to use a DVD-RW that will give the fleksibility,
but you still get the downside of the cd media, the only Idea I have is to make a external connection to a CD,DVD or HD.

Mark
emaks rouls #10677

#676 - 12/10/1999 14:25 Re: Why don't you have a CD-R based player?? [Re: rob]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
>>"With the forthcoming release of the new Toshiba 18GB laptop drive..."

Any timeframe estimate on that? Any guesses as to price?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#677 - 12/10/1999 23:52 Re: Why don't you have a CD-R based player?? [Re: tanstaafl.]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK

We haven't even got sample quantities yet.. we're hoping that they will be available before the end of the year but it's out of our hands. As for pricing, it's anyone's guess.

Rob

#678 - 13/10/1999 02:51 Re: Why don't you have a CD-R based player?? [Re: Mark Petersen]
Cadders
new poster

Loc: Concept 2000, Farnborough
Errrr, No! The media costs about £40 a throw and the writer's are about £400. Why do people keep questioning the use of hard disks? They are by far the best option for a player such as this.

On an unrelated note, heard that the player is going to support Windows Media files eventually. This is great news as the quality can be better than MP3 with a similar file size. Its great to see that the promises about upgradability of the empeg are being kept.

Cadders,
Number 10163 in the queue. I fear I'll be in for a bit of a wait.