Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7251 - 17/09/1999 08:44 The little song that couldn't...
gdurrett
new poster

Loc: San Francisco, CA
...upload that is.

It's weird, but there's this one song, encoded at 128kb, at about 4.5MB in size, that just won't upload via USB!

Now, I am having problems uploading via USB in general (haven't worked with the serial connection other than to upgrade the empeg to the latest flash version). I have found that synchroniz(s)ing discrete chunks of music no larger than - say - 18MB in aggregate size works fine, and anything greater than that results in the unit freezing up. That is, the upload progress bar will be replaced by the "controlling disk" message suddenly, just sit there indefinitely or until I do a Vulcan Nerve Pinch on the keyboard. The unit itself shows no display whatsoever, but does respond to menu commands (bottom button). If I restart emplode, it won't find the empeg until I unplug/replug power and/or USB.

Phew! So, I can live with the discrete chunks thing 'til perhaps a future upgrade (to the empeg/emplode or my OS ;-)), but I'm very curious about this one song that won't take! As a sanity check I: uploaded a song from a different artist, tried uploading the problem tune to another folder on the player, listened to the problem tune on winamp for errors.

Now, I don't really think that the empeg qualifies the mp3's for errors before uploading, but I am covering all my bases. I've got it down to this: Taste.

The empeg just doesn't like some tunes. Which is interesting, because I've gotten a couple of Zappa albums in there no problem. I know only a couple folks (locally) who share my enthusiasm for his works (my girlfriend is *not* among them), but the empeg let his stuff in no questions asked! What is it about James McMurtry's tune, "Comfortable", that the empeg doesn't like?

Anyone else being barred at the door of the empeg nightclub for inappropriate dress? Should I just lump it and get into trance, hip-hop, or industrial?

Half-seriously yours,

Greg Durrett

Serial 00098 - Queue #1108
6G Blue
Serial 00098 - Queue #1108
6G Blue

#7252 - 18/09/1999 15:10 Re: The little song that couldn't... [Re: gdurrett]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Well, my unit doesn't seem to like "Ten Little Indians" by John Hiatt, or "Oblivion" by Blur...

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#7253 - 20/09/1999 15:06 Re: The little song that couldn't... [Re: gdurrett]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Hmm - a mail to [email protected] with the song (for testing purposes only, obviously) would be a good idea so that we can try and replicate it here. I can't see how a certain byte sequence would cause a problem (especially over USB with its 32 byte packets...) but you never know.

As for the 18Mb problem, another email with details on your windows version, chipset, USB controller type (from the system control panel) etc might help. Personally I've downloaded over 1Gb in a single synchronise (both BX and ZX chipsets, PII/233 and Celeron 366) without problems so I'm interested in how it's going wrong.

Hugo